If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it

Discussion in 'General' started by Apollyon1325, May 27, 2012.

1. does it make a sound?

Am I the only one who thinks that's a stupid question? Of course it makes a sound.

2. For a sound to exist it needs someone to hear it, or else its just sequence of waves

3. Bro I'm right there with you! I always think that. Like, it fell down right? Then it made a sound.

That's like asking if a train makes noise when nobody is around.

4. The wildlife can hear it.

5. if there was a joint and no one around to smoke it...... would i still smoke it

yea i would

6. This makes no sense, the definition of sound is just waves lol.

But yeah that question is retarded..

7. o_O im too drunk to answer this Q. but good story, bro.

8. A sound is a sound when somebody hears it

but either way the question is a koan, it's not meant to have a traditional answer, you're all thinking to literaly

9. [quote name='"CAVERN"']

A sound is a sound when somebody hears it

but either way the question is a koan, it's not meant to have a traditional answer, you're all thinking to literaly[/quote]

Or logically is more like it.

It'd be the same if a quarter hit the ground and no one was around to hear it. It would still make the *ping*

10. to be answered logically isn't the point to the question though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōan

11. [quote name='"CAVERN"']

to be answered logically isn't the point to the question though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dan[/quote]

Ehh it's the way I think 24/7 it's not my fault haha

12. [quote name='"CAVERN"']

to be answered logically isn't the point to the question though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dan[/quote]

I'm all for a hypothetical or philosophical debate but those should be questions that don't have clear answers. The sound waves created by the tree falling exist and exist in the same form the would if somebody was there or not

13. #13 the cole phelps, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
    This pisses me off big time. You're admiting you're wrong but justifying it by giving it a fancy name ? :confused: that's like getting a math question wrong and saying ''it's a huku'' No it's not 2+2=4 no matter how fancy or pretentious you are.

I'm sorry but i hate how ''these people'' get called out and still wont admit their wrong

the saying is moronic. A better saying would be ''All the matters are people'' I mean seriously.......... If a tiger kills a zebra in africa does it count if no one saw it ???? Of course it does the zebra is still dead regardless of whether you see it or not !!!!!!!

That's what you're saying mate, Like it or not :rolleyes:

14. [​IMG]

15. If a man argues in the forest with a women and nobody is around to hear it, is he still wrong?

16. always

17. cavern has a point. sound is only something perceived buy something with the capabilities of sensing sound waves. if nothing is there to perceive these wave lengths. sound is missing a key ingredient to being complete.

18. Such questions only boggle the minds of anthropoids because we tend to be so thoroughly anthropocentric in a Universe which is anything but anthropocentric.

Why should the existence or form of anything rely on detection by a human, whether directly or indirectly through some mechanical extension of limited human capabilities? The sound of a falling tree is experienced in countless ways, regardless of whether the sound is defined as vibration of matter or by some form of detection of such vibration by human or by non-human “detectors,” whether living or non-living (by our standard concepts).

Likewise, all manifestations of matter (and anti-matter) – form, non-form, presence, influence – are surely experienced, “known” and “understood” in countless ways by various “beings” (ways of being) of the Universe, whether known or unknown to us.

It is true that we, both individually and collectively, are incredibly significant in the scheme of things in this Universe. Yet we simultaneously are also incredibly insignificant, and any attachment to our significance is a delusion that arises from our perceived illusions.

This doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't bother to count, measure and describe all that we can “get our hands on” and try to work with what we think we've got hold of. But it does mean we need to constantly be aware that the minute portions of the Universe we think we have a grip on offer us precious little knowledge, let alone understanding, of the enormous “creature” whose tail hair we've barely touched. There are, however, means other than through our curious minds by which we can learn to “listen” to the “purrs” and “growls” and experience the “feel” of a presence that reveals truths that can open the way to greater understanding and wisdom.

19. #19 the cole phelps, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
    @ CAVERN

I'm sorry what part of my post didn't you like the truth ? or the facts ?

You're logic ''People are all that matter if a human doesn't see it, It didn't happen''

My logic: The world is bigger than You/Me . Believe it or not animals hear sound and they would be in the bush/jungle to hear the tree falling.

It doesn't matter anyway sound is alive It doesn't need a person to hear it inorder to exist. Just like waves at the beach, Thunder in the sky, Waterfalls ect. It's clear a white person came up with the saying because buddhism teaches you everything has a soul. Try telling native indians a tree falling down doesn't make a sound without them being their

20. jeez, you don't even have a basic idea about what the question is asking do you?

The question is made not to have a yes or no answer, but if you don't understand that just read: