If a tree drops in the middle of the forest does it make a sound?

Discussion in 'General' started by Blank1268, Mar 12, 2012.

1. The classic topic, if a tree falls in the middle of the forest and NOTHING is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

2. Yes because if you were to fall down in the middle of a forest would you not yell "fuck that hurt"

3. Depends on your definition of sound.

4. I promise you that it makes a very loud sound....similar to that of a falling tree :)

5. Question: Answered.

6. Lol, that doesn't answer it at all, what does you falling in the forest have to do with it?

7. Why is this a question? I always hear people ask this... I understand the 'oowe awwwe' part of it, but come the fuck on...

It falls, it makes a noise.

8. [quote name='"Blank1268"']

Lol, that doesn't answer it at all, what does you falling in the forest have to do with it?[/quote]

It's the exact same situation except not a tree.....

Are you specifically askin about a tree or just noise in general

9. But sound is just vibrations intill perceived by something that can transform vibrations into a understandable signal. so if nothing is around to perceive the vibrations does it really make any sound?

10. The question is about a tree so I think thats how it's intended.

11. Yes, but again we are talking about trees in a forest that has nothing to hear the sound in.

12. does grass grow?

13. Animals perceive the vibrations through both air and ground whether it be through ears,feet or body. So yes, it still makes a sound technically.

14. What if a fully deaf person fully screams in the middle of the forest with no one around, do they make a sound?

15. What if three baby llamas were birthed from their mother in the middle of a large field, do they make a sound?

16. If there eardrums are incapable of processing vibrations then does it?

17. Well yeah, the other baby llamas and the momma hear it, unless they are all deaf.

18. Wouldn't the sound of the tree falling alarm any animals/underground mammals to vacate the nearby area?

But yeah, I never understood asking that question either. It's like "If I lion roars and nobody is around, does it make a sound?"

Answer: The fuck you think?

19. What do llamas have to do with anything?