If a retired sniffing dog smelled weed would it go berserk?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Bonghoots4lyfe, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Like if somebody had a old pet sniffing dog and say it smelled weed from the neighbours would it bark?

2. If it did I doubt it'd lead to you

3. Depends what it's trained to do/  For example UK sniffer dogs are trained to freeze at or scratch the area they smell the drugs in.

4. no i think i don't think they start sniffin/looking for things until they're told to do so. ive walked past plenty of dogs with pockets full of weed at train stations, events etc. and nothing. they all could have been bomb dogs tho, but i'm pretty sure they only search on command

5. It may bark if anything. Even if it does, dogs bark all the time. Lmao, don't worry bro you're door's not getting kicked down today.

Unless search warrant.. hah

6. Trained dogs only go off when they are instructed. Unless your neighbor gives the dog the signal to search, it's unlikely the dog will go off on it's own.

7. Nah, he's probably like: "Fuck that shit, I'm retired".

8. Possibly. The way that they are trained is to associate the smell with a toy that they obsess over. It may try to walk over to the smell

9. They just might notice it, but they usually wait for commands.

10. A friend of mine was taking a two day forestry course and they were staying at a camp in the woods so he decided he would walk into the woods a little bit and have a smoke. After he put the weed back in his pockets a dog came out of the woods and started barking at him. Soon after two police officers were apologizing because they were teaching the dog to sniff drugs.

11. No. Them freaking out is a command and only do so if commanded to, not if they smell anything randomly. Only when commanded

12. I don't think so, Tim.

13. Berserk? I think you got the wrong idea about drug dogs.

But yes it will fall on old instincts. If a retired drug dog smells weed it will probly try to get attention and a treat for finding it

-yuri

14. Yes, as others have said, trained dogs know when they're working and they're not. If they put a vest on him and point at someone, then he'll probably start sniffing just because it's a learned behavior. However, if he's just chilling doing his own thing, then he won't care about marijuana. Dogs don't know what it is or if it's illegal, they just think they're playing a game and following orders when they're told to sniff stuff.