If a rapper does a commercial, is he/she a sellout?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Iceman420, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I keep hearing some hip hop heads claim that if a rapper does a commercial, they act like its the end of the world, and they become a sellout. Do you believe this is true?
    Second, whats your definition of sellout?

2. makin money is the name of the game.

don't hate the player.

3. Hate the game. Hate the fact that the majority of people are catered to at the expense of the minority...

4. Nas & Az had that Sprite commercials that doesn't/hasn't made them sellout's.

And for your second question all i have to say is Busta Rhymes.............

5. flava flav is a fuckin sell out.
    He used to give a damn...

6. Not at all ever heard of the St. Ides joint with Wu, Snoop etc? Or Cappa's Heineken shit. Doesn't make you a sellout IMO.

7. maybe to sensitive bitches that can only listen to underground artists people never heard of

what does a commercial have to do with the music?

8. Making music with the intention of getting rich and famous, and not really giving a shit about the music you make is what defines a sell out.

Doing commercials on the other hand is a great way to make money.

edit: although IMO most rappers I see today are sell out anyways.

9. Selling out is when you change something you once stood for, for no logical reason other than to gain: money, bitches, cars, fame, boats & hoes.

No a commercial doesn't make them a sellout, if they were once making songs about hustling and concious shit, then switched up to money and hoes & radio, then do a vitamin water commercial, that's capitalizing on selling out.

urbandictionary :

1. When an artist conforms to the way record labels, managers, etc see them to make money through commercial success and generally not the original fan base.

2. When an artist conforms to the way they believe their fan base see's them.

3. When an artist gets too big for their own good, and believe that they are god(s) and can do anything they want.

4. When an artist changes their play style to make more money

10. Godson

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_c59OBrgg]YouTube - Nas Power 105 Interview Dissin' Jay z Cam'ron And Others (Classic) Shit[/ame]

11. They're usually sellouts before that

12. Yea but i mean, just because an artist makes a club banger, i don't believe that's a sellout. If you went from talking important shit to making club bangers, then I'll see that as a sellout. But to be personally honest, theres nothing wrong with artists making club songs or just good sounding/pop songs.

[quote name='iCremateCanabis']Selling out is when you change something you once stood for, for no logical reason other than to gain: money, bitches, cars, fame, boats & hoes.

No a commercial doesn't make them a sellout, if they were once making songs about hustling and concious shit, then switched up to money and hoes & radio, then do a vitamin water commercial, that's capitalizing on selling out.

I would agree, but... I mean, an artist isn't always going to rap about hustling and the hood. Rappers grow old too, and get away from that once they make money. But like i said, I wouldn't consider a rapper or artist a sellout if they made a club banger.

13. good rappers adapt to the cash flow.
    shitty rappers are overcome by it.

14. Technically, it is selling out. But in my opinion the term "selling out" is stupid. If the guy wants to do a commercial, who are you to say he's a "sell out?"

15. Not in my eyes, they are just doin what they need to to stack that paper. And a commercial for some mainstream shit is fair game.

16. If Kool Keith wanted to do a commercial for Trojan Vibrating Touch I wouldn't give him shit at all.....