Identity

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DDV, Nov 21, 2012.

1. From the moment we are born, the world tends to have a container already built for us to fit inside: a social security number, a gender, a race, a profession. I ponder if we are more defined by the container we are in than what we are inside. Would we recognize ourselves if we could expand beyond our bodies?

2. Christ set the fundamentals. People chose to follow what a leader has already set up.

3. Your identity is almost impossible to define, mostly because it doesn't exist.

4. Perhaps, but until we do, I doubt we're really capable of imagining it.

This container idea is one so many fit themselves into. It's not their fault, they are taught from a young age how to do so. Some recognise, at a later date, that they aren't who they're told they are, but many go their whole lives believing the lie.

Those who use MJ are least likely to conform with society's idea of what's expected, and are the most likely to know what we are beyond what we're told we are.

5. #5 Sam_Spade, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
    Social identity is an interesting mistress.

I'm most interested that we still utilized essentialized traits to relate to one another, and that we haven't sorted out any meaningful way to bypass it.

Subcultures that tend to generate a tertiary socialization seem to be more affect by the essentializations, and are in fact more inept at disarming these symbols. Especially relevant to our little cannabis subculture.

EDIT: What's your take on functionalism, OP?

6. Since the dawn of time, people have been defined by an expectation of greatness or failure from whoever came before them. Now adays, it's more or less where you come from. Nevertheless, its been a binding tie for every man and woman to walk the earth, and its prevented us from reaching our truest of true selves. I don't think we were meant to see our true selves until we pass on into the afterlife. If Heaven isn't what you believe in, then It probably isn't something you agree with. But I think we all have a soul, a true interpersonal identity that is displayed in short, hazy episodes we define as "character". Those who let events or objects define them often end up a hollow shell of what they could achieve, while those who seek to define themselves shine bright...
    Just my outlook on who I am at least :)

7. I think it's up to the individual to mold their identity based on the tools provided to them. Some people will always follow the manual and come out with a radio that plays classical. Some might tinker around with the radio to make the bass more suitable for dubstep, using other tools they found. Others will never find use in a radio and think "what if I was meant to build cars instead?"

My point being, I think identity is genuine because even though there are already choices of different architypes, there's a plethora of options and factors involved that can be blended and separated to make a truly unique individual.

8. Well said, mate

9. [quote name='"White Indian"']Your identity is almost impossible to define, mostly because it doesn't exist.[/quote]

This is wrong. Your identity is very real because your mind is functioning. The identity that is given to us in the physical plane is not you.

You know who you are and you know the power of your mind. You have forgotten it because the system has forced it upon you.

Your identity as a spirit is real because you created the world your visualizing and you chose to incarnate your physical body.

10. I think it has to do with who is doing the defining. When other's try to define you, it's more often by the container. If we let others define us for our self, we define our self with the container. However, if we define who we are, maybe we can recognize ourselves in the next level. At least that's what my heart says.

11. Grasping of identity is merely an illusion obscuring who you truly are. If you stripped yourself of the identity you created from external sources you would have your true identity. The question now is, what is your true identity?