Identifying issues by looking at Stems & Watering with RO

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ryecoon, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Hey just need some help by looking at this comparison. One of my bigger plants looks really good but i noticed the bottom stem has a wooden look to it. Just want to catch these things early one before i end up losing her lol

Pic to the left shows the stem of my bigger plant and the stem to the right is my smaller one. [​IMG]

Full picture of the plants
    [​IMG]

Also, can someone give me advice on RO water. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages in using it? Do i need to supplement or dose since there is no TDS in the water or will the soil be enough nutes?

I have some concentrate Vitamin solution (SuperThrive) that i Can put in the RO water if needed just not sure if this will good enough. I keep the RO at PH 6.0- 6.5 ppm. Any Thoughts as to what i should switch up?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Filtered waters aren't the best option for your plants. There are actually valuable micronutrients in tap water that these plants need and use. I've seen lots of posts on here by people who use RO/filtered waters who end up getting odd deficiencies. Plain old tap water is your best and cheapest option and it has the things in it that the plants need. If you're in the US, you don't have to let it set out to evaporate chlorine because we use chloramine now which doesn't hurt your plants. Been using it straight from the tap for several years now with no issues period. Good luck. TWW

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks a bunch :) What about the dirty water that gets filtered out of the RO system?

4. The woody stems are normal on older plants. Forget about the RO water and use regular tap water. Superthrive is pure snake oil, save your money and buy some kelp meal for top-dressing.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks man. So this right here? [​IMG]

6. Yes, you can use this without danger of burning plants. If you have some compost you can mix it with the kelp meal 50/50 and top-dress the pots.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks pointwest