Identification help please!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by GTHC189, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Hey GC forum folks, not sure if this is exactly the right place for this thread but either way, just looking for a little help ID'ing some stuff I just found growing into my yard through the fence from the neighbor's yard!

I was taking my trash out and BAM! I looked up and noticed what is quite clearly some form of Cannabis plant (can't believe I never noticed it before!) anywho, as an avid user and former cultivator (read: VERY AMATEUR cultivator) I can say without a doubt that it is SOME FORM of cannabis but that's about it.

What I do know/can tell, is that it is very bushy-- not the usual tall, straight tree-looking thing. The main 'trunk' of the thing is pretty thick and well-developed with many other closely bunched and almost as equally thick, well-developed branches coming off the main one so I would assume it's been there for some time, and the rest of it just kind of bushes out from there to much thinner, younger stalks. It's more like a rounded weedy, hedge/bush sort of thing and though the main, rounded bushy bulk of it is about 2-3 ft. tall, there are many stalks shooting up and out to heights of roughly 6 ft. or more.

Upon closer inspection, it bears all the trademark traits I am accustomed to, and possesses a very nice sweet basil/sour berry smell to boot! However, the main thing I am NOT seeing is any indication of male/female or any indication of flowers/buds. It seems that it must be a hardy plant because here were are in northern California in mid-sept. and though the daily temperatures are in the mid to high 70's, the lows are going down to the low 50's every night and this thing is showing little to no signs of damage or flowering.
    In fact, at the calyx, there are no pistil or staminate thing-y's going on, or even stipules as far as I can tell. The only thing I've seen growing out of the calyx are more leaves, however they are of a much smaller nature than the other larger, predominant leaves.

Now I know some pictures would help, I'm working on getting some uploaded very soon. For the meantime, here is one attached pic that shows the size of it...

But based on my observation, I'm guessing this to be some sort of wild strain, maybe even a Cannabis Ruderalis(?) and thus probably not at all potent in any way. I gotta say though, the scent that it possesses is delicious and fairly strong, though not very skunky, so in a weird way I guess I'm kinda hoping that it will produce something worth trying.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm seeing any cannabis leaves in there? :confused:

Maybe, if it is there, it's just one of the smaller bushes in the front without much definition and we won't really be able
    to tell without some close-up shots.. I'm seeing a lot of possible three-blades on the ends of a few branches, but I've
    highlighted a bunch of leaves that are absolutely not cannabis, if that helps you to determine (since you'll know which
    plant/area that you think is the cannabis, and I can't tell what you're looking at :p ). :)

[​IMG]

(The blue indicates a smaller/younger version of the same plant/s)

Attached Files:

3. Well it's not cannabis but whatever it is would make a nice cover crop.

4. #4 brodog, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
    those leavea are pinnately organized, and weed is palmately organized,

edit: so it is not marijuana

5. That's what I was seeing, as well.

Quick photo (for anyone interested)...

[​IMG]

6. Yea you guys are right, I was thinking about it and took another look and it definitely doesn't have those big palmate leaves, however there are some 3-bladed ones on there, here's some better pics though. I'm just wondering then, if it isn't cannabis, wtf is it?? Cuz it looks incredibly close to it...

Attached Files:

7. Definitely not a cannabis plant.
    Not sure what it is though.

8. Let's say juniper and move on to some nice sativa. Or smoke it and let us know if it is better than weed. :)

9. not weed end of story goodluck on ur next adventure