Ideas on quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Metal_Mdv, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Hey blades, I'm relatively new to this site.. although i have been browsing the forums for about a year now.. anyway
    I was wondering if fellow smokers or non smokers preferably could help me with how they stopped smoking ciggarettes, i mean ive been smoking for 7 years now and hate every second of it..
    The longest i went was 2 months before flipping my shit over somthing and started back due to stress..
    any tips or ideas would be great !

2. what helped me kick it was realizing how disgsting i actually smelled and tasted after smoking a cig. i wash my hands a lot as it is and i was just tired of my clothes smelling and my chest hurting

3. i am tired of that aswell, damn chest-pains.. but if i dont have a smoke.. especially cuz i work at a resteraunt right now i find my nerves get shot and not trying to make excuses but I'm bi-polar so my mood swings get worse and harder to monitor and control ... i did quit by using E-cigs before though, maybe i should give it another go.. ? I still craved but they did work okay,, took some getting use too.. what about the gum anyone know if that works well?

or even patches?

4. #4 Delightfully High, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    I chewed on gum/tooth picks ,wore a nicorette patch for a couple days ,and kept a rubber band around my wrist that I would "snap" anytime I had a craving to get my mind off of it. After about two weeks all I had to do was tell myself I'd never pick up another cigarette again and alas one year and two months later I haven't and I smoked for eleven years.

Get the book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Alan Carr. Make sure you actually read it. By the end of the book you'll be done smoking, and no, it's not a gross-out thing or a fear thing or anything like that.

Great ideas especially toothpicks that would probably help also

7. Also try sitting down and making a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking to help motivate you.

8. #8 Cawdswallup, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Go read about what's actually in that cigarette you're smoking.

Quiting isn't difficult if you know what it's actually doing to you. You have to want to quit before you actually will.

Maybe you just need a reason? Take up jogging. Find a girl/guy who doesn't like smoking.

Do you really want cancer? It's likely that smoking will cause it.

I smoke everyday because I like it.
    I know what's in it, how it's grown and what potential health problems may occur. Fuck it I say, i'll smoke until I choose to no longer inhale carcinogens.

9. I only smoke when i drink beer. I perfer gold shorts. You won't catch me smoking sober.

There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence that waving the consequences in front of a smoker will not help them quit, and may actually make them more stressed out and more likely to smoke.

That's why I recommended Alan Carr's Easyway book -- because it's entirely focused on the positives of stopping smoking, and trust me there are a shit ton of positives. Every smoker knows the consequences, and TV is peppered with awful commercials showing those consequences. But in this case, the carrot works better than the stick.

11. #11 VeritableHypocrisy, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    Guys, you're telling him the same crap that the cigarette package says. If the consequences were bad enough to make him quit, would they not have been bad enough to keep him from starting? I was smoking a pack a day for a long time, and people kept telling me about how bad cigs were for me. No. The only reason I managed to quit was finding a way to curb the withdrawal and cravings. That and my girlfriend being allergic gave me the motivation to follow through.

What I am getting at is don't keep posting the same crap. You want to help somebody? Teach them, don't just feed them the same crap over and over, right?

12. #12 Cawdswallup, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    What you can find through research of your own is far more than the cigarette pack or the tv will tell you.

Through learning the negatives will come positives.

13. Sunflower seeds help me.

Are you an American? I just quit my 11 year pack a day habit 3 days ago because my health insurance premiums would have increased by $800 a year if I didn't...

That's a Lotta bucks dude.

14. Study for you-

[SIZE=12pt]Cannabidiol reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers: Preliminary findings.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt](abst – 2013)           [/SIZE]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23685330

â€œ24 smokers were randomised to receive an inhaler of CBD (n=12) or placebo (n=12) for one week, they were instructed to use the inhaler when they felt the urge to smoke. Over the treatment week, placebo treated smokers showed no differences in number of cigarettes smoked. In contrast, those treated with CBD significantly reduced the number of cigarettes smoked by ~40% during treatment. Results also indicated some maintenance of this effect at follow-up. These preliminary data, combined with the strong preclinical rationale for use of this compound, suggest CBD to be a potential treatment for nicotine addiction that warrants further exploration.“ 

CBD is the same compound that stops severe epileptic seizures in kids. It can NOT get you high.  The inhaler they used would give almost instantaneous results, as would inhaling the vapor from a “high CBD” strain of cannabis using a vaporizer.  A 40% reduction in tobacco smoking in one week, isn't bad. I wonder what the reduction would have been if they had run the study for more than just 7 days?

Granny

15. #15 *guest, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

What kinda ecig did you use? There are many different kinds these days, you can probably find something that will work for you. 

My first ecig was one of those small cigarette-sized ones like this

[​IMG]

It was okay at first but got old fast. Just wasn't very satisfying and once I had one cigarette, I went right back to a pack a day. 

A few months ago I got one sorta like this

[​IMG]

And it has helped me big time. I still smoke every once in a while when I'm drinking, but besides that I'm totally good. It's way more satisfying to the point where I just don't actually need to smoke anymore.

If you started with the first style, seriously consider giving a bigger refillable a go. Check out the ecig thread on here or hit up reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette for more info or help picking one out, I'm available for help/info too. You could get a decent kit for $30 or less and you'll have thousands of juice flavors to choose from. 

16. Yeah try one of the refillable ones. One of the best for cig smokers that want to move to vaping is the itaste MVP. I have it and it's fantastic. Gives you all the throat hit you need too. I enjoy it more than I ever enjoyed smoking cigs. Not even tempted to smoke with my delicious alternative.
    Best part is that it's cheaper and you quit all of your other chemical addictions, leaving only nicotine to battle with(if you care).

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. I used ecigs to quit. Not the cheap blu type, but a ego style cig.

I started out at 12mg nic eliquid and replaced every other cig with the ecig, and gradually phased out all traditional cigs. Then I grabbed some 0 nicotine liquid and diluted down to 9mg nicotine, then gradually down to 6mg, 3mg, then 0 nicotine. Now, I keep a tank of no nicotine liquid and a tank of hash tincture to puff on should the need arise.

For me a good ecig made a huge difference. Being able to find flavors I like, adjust Nic levels, adjust voltage, and pick pg/vg ratio let me find a smoking experience I enjoyed which in turn made it easier to drop regular cigs. I like that with ecigs, you can separate the withdrawal from nicotine from the habit of smoking. I think it is easier to quit when you can separate the two which is something you can't do with gum or patches.

I do not like the premade ecigs like blu, vuse, and others in the same market. Some of them come with quite high Nicotine levels and no lower options. In my opinion these companies have much more of a vested interest in keeping you addicted. Many are owned by the same tobacco companies that lied to consumers for decades about what they put in their products.

18. My husband and I quit cigarettes 521 days ago, we have a little app that keeps track of every day, every cigarette not smoked, and how much $ you have saved.  There is a million free ones, I'd get one so you can keep track it helps to look at it on those days when you feel weak.
    The thing that ended up working for me was wanting to quit smoking, and getting mad about it. I used to try and focus on my health and the money, but after a few days suddenly me lowering my risks of lung cancer wasn't enough to keep me from buying another pack.  I guess I'm the type of person that can hold onto a bad feeling more then a good feeling, and rage fuels me. I found pictures of tobacco executives in fancy cars, on their yachts, on the beach somewhere gorgeous, etc. and I put speech bubbles on them that basically made fun of me, and how stupid I am. I'd stare at them and think "I'm paying for their good time. Here I am trying to cover my own bills and I'm busy paying theirs." And that helped me. The first few weeks I was stomping around angry all the time, but I let everyone around me know I'm quitting smoking and if I'm a rancid bitch thats why and not to take it personally. After a few weeks, it wasn't so bad, I wasn't so angry anymore, I'd have to carry tic tac's around and pop a few anytime I had to drive because driving without a smoke was the worst, but it got easier.

It sounds cliche, but when you are ready to quit it is going to be a lot easier then when you try to force yourself to quit. 
    I have heard from a few people that the "quitting" pill works pretty well, but I have also heard that it has some pretty horrible side effects. So........yeah, that'll be your choice on that one. 

19. You can try the patch. My father smoked his whole life and then quit with the patch.  I think some brands don't work well so you need to use one that works for you.  I think he used Nicoderm.  They might be expensive but may be worth it in the long run.  Idk because I never been addicted to cigarettes but that may help you.

20. I am canadian and i think i will try the expensive e cigs again because it did help me cut down alot.
    Thanks alot guys  for all the input :)