ideas for cooling a room?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DaRampantRabbit, Apr 27, 2008.

1. just wondering if anyone has any simple ideas of cooling a room, from around 30'C to around 20'C. easy set up, cheap cost, and known to be effective..
    all idea appreciated.....

2. I use a window AC unit, paid about $150.00 for it.
    It is necessary, they will not flower if temps get above 85...

3. What about Dry Ice??????? it would cool down everything and add Co2 to the room.....

4. whered you hear that one?? They wont flower as well if the temps are above 85 but it deffinately wont prevent them from flowering.

5. you realy need somewhere to bring fresh air in from, if you have that just whack some fans in there and get the air moving and it shud do the trick, A/C sounds like an expensive option so apart from more fans only other thing i can suggest is a cooltube, bit lengthy to setup but worth it.

6. I always hear that you should bring fresh air in from another room because it is more of a constant temperature and has a more stable humidity than pumping in from outside. So if your house is heated and cooled to comfortable living conditions it should be good for the plants too.

7. Run your light schedule when it's cooler outside. IE: 8 PM to 12 PM.

Run 2 vent lines. One exhaust and one intake from outside.

If that doesn't work then get an AC unit.

8. Don't plants like a temp drop when it's dark time?...

I would do lights off at 8 pm - 8 am for flowering.

9. I didn't hear it anywhere, I am talking from personal experience...
    Have you tried it?

10. My grow room is usually around 100 degrees and my plants flower fine everytime. There are always obvious signs of heat stress, except for on the sativas, but I still generally manage to pull in at least an ounce per plant. Besides, there are plenty of places in the world where weed grows just fine that are routinely above 85 degrees everyday.

11. Yes they do and my buds do not end up very dense because of that. But it is a compromise between heat stressing the plants with over 30 degree temps or keeping it cooler overall.

12. What strain are you using? how hot does it get during your dark cycle? I am very interested, if I could grown under those conditions I can save a ton of money..
    when I tried it I had 6 different strains, only one plant flowered into something decent, and the buds were full of air, they shrank too much, I only got 1 OZ from that grow..
    I live in one of those places were temps are around 90 all year long, and MJ grows fine outside, but not indoors, my second grow with other strains was having the same problem, I turned the AC unit 24x7 and they flowered right away..

13. Several different strains, Hashberry, Aurora Indica, AK, White Shark, Schnazzleberry, indicas mainly. When Im flowering during the winter, at night it can get down to 50 if I leave a window open on accident. During the summer sometimes itll stay close to 80 in there, but most of the time its probably in between 65 and 75 at night. I also keep a fan blowing on them 24/7 to keep the ambient temperature down. On top of that I give my plants different nutrients that raise their resistance to stress like, Humic Acid, Yucca, and a product from Advanced Nutrients called Organic B which is great stuff, heres a link for info on it http://www.advancednutrients.com/landing_pages/organic-b_landing.html

14. We don't get those temps at night, we only have the summer and the rainny season, it is hot and 100% humidity all the time, I laways have a fan on them, but the lowest it would get during the dark cycle was around 85 usually more, they kept growing, and showed sex, but never produced any budz...
    I don't have access to good nutrients here, all we get is miracle grow and jobes spikes; but I do have yucca plants outside my house, as well as plantain, mango, coconut, and mountain apples, can any of these help the plants deal with the stress? how do you apply it?...

15. Temperatures above 85F can cause vernalization in plants. This means that flowering can actually be caused by warm temperatures. Granted, bud production can slow down in these temperatures but it will still occur. Night temps should be at least 10-15 degrees cooler than day temps. If not, this will also slow down bud production and promote small buds. I have found the best results when I keep my room between 75 and 85, preferably 77-78. The rate of photosynthesis is roughly double at 78F than it is at 68F or above 90F. I use a cheap swamp cooler fan that I fill up with water every few days. This cools the air at least 10 degrees but raises the humidity a bit. Works like a charm. Good luck!

16. A good quality portable a/c unit is around $250-$300 US. I've seen them for $100 used. They work the best. I have seen small window units as low as $69 brand new. They get real cheap in the fall and winter.

I was lucky. All of my home's a/c ductwork runs directly over my grow room. I just had to drill a few holes. If it gets too cool, I just throw a few refrigerator magnets over the holes.

17. depending on how big your grow room is, u can try or just look & my sig, & click the DIY chiller for small grows.

18. I like window A/C units as well; unfortunately, I had to seal off the window of the room so I had to find another method. My heat exchange is directly adjacent to the room so I ducted in from that and it works great. I only use the A/C when it gets real hot because the swamp cooler works great and costs the same as running a regular fan. If you have good ventilation and humidity is not an issue, check them out; they work.

19. I like that DIY fogger...I just might have to try one in my closet grow. Where can I find an ultrasonic fogger?

20. u can find them online or at most pet stores like petsmart or petco. this is a single head fogger, but they make multi head foggers for more fog & extra chilling, mostly found online & ebay.
    [​IMG]