Ideal PAR?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cdphalanx, Oct 1, 2012.

1. #1 cdphalanx, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
    Ive been casually browsing around GC and the vast expanses of the interwebz but havent found 'exactly' what Im looking for... yet.

If the information exists and I havent located it yet, which is entirely possible, please point me in the right direction and I can probably figure this out for myself. I could also be completely off-base, too in any/all assumptions.

That being said, Im simply trying to find out what PAR is ideal for seed/veg/flower for our plants? If you go the lumens route, it seems to be approx 2500/5000/1000 per sqft.... etc.

I am asking b/c Im considering moving to LEDs in the future (using T5HO now) and the main issue with LEDs seems to be the light penetration. So, if we have a PAR chart for a certain LED and we know what the ideal PAR is for a plant in various stages, we could reasonably determine how well a certain LED would do.

The reason for my potential change is that I have the opportunity, for a steal of a price (assuming it would work) to obtain a 160W programmable LED unit that (supposedly) can bring ~60 PAR across a 8sqft area at 2.5ft distance, all while dialing in virtually the exact spectrum of light that we desire. At least this is what my aquarium guy tells me. There are other LED option available to me, with varying stats, so just trying to figure out which would be the most useful.

I may even still try it for shits'n giggles, but wanted to toss the question out there.