Ideal humidity levels

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by canadian69, Sep 28, 2011.

1. #1 canadian69, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
    I suppose that I can be relatively assured that the root zone in the aero grow is going to maintain 100% relative humidity and zero light, but what about the humidity levels throughout the grow stages for the plant area?

I figure my target in the root zone is a consistent 100% humidity and a cooler 60-70 deg F (15-20 Celsius). I guess the cooler temperatures increase the dissolved O2 in the water, but my plan calls for an aerator anyway so I don't know if its worth the effort to monitor root area temperatures. I guess lower temps prevent root rot as well.

My target for the growth zone should be what for the clone/veg/flower stages? 80 F / 27 C always with a relative humidity of 70-80% or so? Or should the humidity be much lower?

2. I use 60-70% humidity during veg. and 50-60% during bud, during the last 2 weeks of bud I use 30 -20% humidity this year I'll experiment with a UV light again during the last 2 weeks, attempting to simulate desert type conditions in an attempt to promote the plant to increase it's own protective oils...

wait an see??

peace
    "V"

3. How do you regulate humidity in the growth zone throughout these periods?

Particularly getting it down to 30-20% at the end. In an aeroponic environment I'm not sure I could do that unless I had room for a dehumidifier (which I don't). My ambient air is like 50-80% humidity depending on weather conditions, dryer in the winter months, but I guess I could just shoot for 60-70% and hope for the best.

4. Very scientific, I have 3 temp/humidity gauges in my grow room, north, east,west, twice a day I visit, and potter about.
    To maintain the required humidity 60-70%, I leave a dish of water in with the plants,...see hi tech?? ..lol, and/or may hand spray the plants, with a water/food solution, I'm big on foiler feeding as I re-use my soils mix later in the veggy patch, however I do clone via aeroponics and the result is the same, I have used automated spray systems in the past, but when they fail, and they will....it just breaks ya heart.
    A lot here depends on your LOCAL environment, get to know that and you keep many a plant happy

peace
    "V"

ps to get 30 -20% humidity?? put out a smaller dish or just a wet sponge!:wave:

5. So I guess your grow room starts at 0% humidity then?? Adding humidity really isn't the issue. As I said in my previous post ("Particularly getting it down to 30-20%"), lowering humidity in a closed aero environment is of more concern to me now. Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Anyone else out there have humidity controls in place in an aeroponic environment? What levels during veg,flower, bud?

6. Just a thought. Could you lower the humidity with a container of "Damp Rid"?

7. Not sure you would want to use that stuff, if you Google the MSDS on it you'll see its an irritant and mostly calcium chloride which apparently dissolves as it absorbs water from the air.

I was thinking silica gel would be safer and more stable (plus reusable). More air flow is the easiest from what I have seen so far and the way I will go.

Other absorbent materials and chemicals are sodium polyacrylate (diapers) and something called polyacrylamide ( I think the raw crystals ). There are also some natural fiber and polysaccharide products said to absorb up to 200 times their weight, but I don't know anything about these.

8. Ow sorry... to much humid...Go for a walk thru kmart or target, I've used Damprid, but like you was cautious of chemicals, better to find a way of removing moisture from the air coming in...?

"V"

9. I am not sure if you are a medical grower, but from somebody that grows for a cancer and an ms patient, MOLD CANNOT BE POSSIBLE.

Silica or even a towel over your air intake will help a bit. Personally I consider a dehumidifier vital if you do not have AC are in the room. If you have a central AC, or a window AC cooling your room that will lower humidity a decent bit.

For about the same amount you can buy a CO2 tank or periodically buy dry ice, which will allow you use keep your room sealed, as well as increase yield and safe temp. If the room is sealed, and the water in your aero system is not exposed to the room the foliage is in, than keeping the room at the right humidity will be alot easier.