Idea?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by taco1g, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I've never grown, nor do I really plan to, but my parents love to garden(especially my dad). They usually grow shit from horseradish roots to tomatoes to ghost peppers to zucchinis! This year my dad bought a topsy turvy, [​IMG] ours grows out the sides unlike the picture. These are supposed to help grow bigger, better, and more tomatoes. I was wondering if you could do this with a canabis plant? I'm no gardener and I would never want to ask my dad "Hey, you think somethin like this would be good to grow weed in?", but from what i understand the two plants require somewhat similar upkeep. You really need to have support and protect both plants, both need attention, and they both grow into really large plants. This may be an extremely stupid idea, but hey I've wondered since we got this thing if weed would grow well in it.

Once again, i don't plan on growing just wondering.

:D

2. Nahh tried it once. The plant just grows up the side. That is meant for tomatoes which are a vine and grow down. Cannabis grows toward the sun just like most other plants. Nice thought though:]

3. Tried it for tomatos, had to water the dam thing every single day.

Plus for weed it would be too small a pot.

4. Two words: Root Bound.

5. I think its better to plant in ground instead of this. But then again what isnt better than this?

6. Tomatoes and weed are so different on many levels. One is a vegetable and one is a weed. Wouldn't say they are similar to grow at all.

As for this idea, like the others said, weed needs to grow up not down.

7. [quote name='"DrSheldonCooper"']Tomatoes and weed are so different on many levels. One is a vegetable and one is a weed. Wouldn't say they are similar to grow at all.

As for this idea, like the others said, weed needs to grow up not down.[/quote]

Wow you are SO scientific Sheldon. Vegetables and weeds are not families of plants and not to mention a weed is defined as a valueless plant that grows in unwanted areas. Does that sound like cannabis to you?

Also, tomatoes and marijuana are actually relatively similar in the way they grow and the conditions they require.

8. [quote name='"Sickleg"']

Wow you are SO scientific Sheldon. Vegetables and weeds are not families of plants and not to mention a weed is defined as a valueless plant that grows in unwanted areas. Does that sound like cannabis to you?

Also, tomatoes and marijuana are actually relatively similar in the way they grow and the conditions they require.[/quote]

They are still very different plants that must be grown in pretty different ways. Not trying to be technical just a realist.

Point in case again:you can't grow weed upside down

9. These containers won't yield any better than a 5 gallon bucket. It's just too small for outdoors. Not mention I've watched my neighbor grow tomatoes in them and her tomatoes didn't even do well. The topsy turvy is a fad to avoid if I ever saw one.

10. ^^This x9000^^^
    I lost every plant I put in them last year. Sure the sun heats up the root ball, but it also mercilessly cooks it on hot days, effectively killing it. My tomatoes were started from $1 stems with like 6 leaves on them this year. One is already over taking its 4' rebar support. topsy-turvy is like everything else made for TV sales, absolute trash. But hey, I only paid $2 per for mine so i was not too upset, lol.

11. wow it was a simple idea, no need for people to seem so angry about it. As for everyone saying they need to grow vertical, every time I've grown tomatoes in the past has been vertical (hens why i said they grow similar, needing supports,etc...) Once again in the very first sentence I said i have never grown so I was just wondering. Also for the hate towards the product, ours is doing extremely well and showing great results. I don't live in a state of extreme temperature and it's not that difficult to maintain if you just water like it is recommended and do it during a cooler time of day.