idea for a diffuser

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Sunn, Sep 27, 2013.

1. not sure if this is the right place for this. so i was thinking about the many varieties of diffusers out there, and mostly the trend seems to be more slits/holes = more bubbles = more diffusion. so i was thinking, maybe you could use this concept in reverse. instead of adding more holes, just use one giant hole and add little solid pieces. in other words just take a straight downstem and attach something like a basket or a screen on the end to get lots of bubble action. this would also eliminate drag.

does this idea make any sense at all? would it actually bubble a lot? i just figured i'd ask before i forgot my idea.

2. I have a straight downstem with a 11-arm ash catcher attached on my bong.. if thats what you mean.

3. I think he meant adding like a screen at the bottom to make really frothy bubbliiinnngggggg !!!!!!!

4. That sounds like a stereo matrix if i'm understanding it right. Some companies call them tires or perelli's (or both). But they function pretty much how you said

5. interesting, thanks for the info. i'll check those out. if they function as well as i imagine then how come they aren't more common/popular?

6. Phx makes a honeycomb downstem, which is similar to what I think you're describing. It doesn't have a lot of holes though

7. Matrix are very popular, just higher priced. The matrix does sound exactly like your talking about. Check them out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Like if they put a fritted disc on the end of a downstem.

9. they sell a honeycomb version of a downstem but it only has about 9 holes on the bottom

the same as your average 9 hole diffy downstem

i think if the tube has a complex perc its better to have less diffusion on the downstem so the tube can do all the work and it won't be as restrictive

if you have every tried one of those tree chamber downstems you know what i'm talking about
    its like trying to drink w/ a coffee stirrer

10. The company Mobius is pretty much centered around the matrix perc. Cheech and some others like it make it as well. It's probably not too popular because the higher end companies don't want to appear to be copying Mobius' idea

I tried a fritted downstem once. It was terribly designed with a solid 1" cylinder of frit at the bottom. The WORST drag on anything I've ever hit ever. You had to inhale so hard your face turned red.

11. Sounds like frit overkill. Even a quarter inch would be enough to produce some serious froth without the obnoxious drag you describe. Do you know who blew the downstem you tried? I've never seen one.

12. I agree. honestly like as thin as they can make a frit would be dope. It didn't have a brand on it so I think it was a local guy.