Id like to take a poll on human emotion and experience

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Sep 7, 2015.

1. #1 Sc0pe, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
    Im sure everyone has noticed as i have sometimes you hear a new song or see a new movie and you get this emotional depth feeling that is unique to what you are experiencing
    Ive also noticed that it dies away eventually and in my case very quickly,

Id like to ask everyone if they think
    1. this feeling goes away because you like listen to this new favorite song too many times and it dulls or
    2. if it will happen eventually anyway if you dont listen because the mind wanders to other things

if you can help me figure this out it would help me alot, my doctor says im emotionally detatched so im trying to find the best way to feel again

2. I think I'm going to be one of the few people who actually understand what you are saying.

I'm going to throw you my theory but I'll message you personally

3. I think it's just the need for instant gratification and we all like that little shot of adrenaline when we don't know what's coming next..I get that way about pretty much everything like I'll get a new video game and play it intensely until it gets old and then never play it again..Same with roller coasters, movies, relationships, ect..I'm always searching for new creativity and just get bored quick with things I've already experienced...even growing weed isn't as exciting to me anymore unless it's a new strain and even then I'm over it in like a month

4. It has been my experience that some emotional reactions are true and some merely seem to be.

We are empathic animals and we instinctively try to feel the way others are feeling, however this is simply an adaptive way of understanding how we should act toward them. These emotions are not actually ours, they are simulations.

Occasionally, we encounter an emotion in another person that resonates with us and becomes our emotion. These tend to become true emotions that last until they are resolved (sometimes for an entire life).

5. Based off of past posts and conversations with you.. I would agree with your doctor. Not to be a Debbie Downer.. because everything has it's pros and cons. This happens to me.. and one of my theories is that people like us go "brain blind" after repeated exposure. Kind of like how we go "nose blind" to smells that we smell for a continued amount of time.. only on a much grander scale. If I meet someone new or make a big change in life.. I might be all amped at first, but repetitive exposure seems to dull it more and more. With that, my best advice would be variety.. cause like they say, variety is the spice of life. Help keep you from going brain blind.. from having your emotions dulled.

6. #6 MNfunkmasta, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    Tintizzy is 100% correct. There are two ways to get enough. One is to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

7. we always seek new experiences

Simple as that

-Yuri

8. Lol.. If your doctor actually told you that you are emotionally detached, that guy is a fucking idiot. That does not even clarify what he means by that, since it can mean two very different things.

Not to be rude, but you should find a new doctor or psychologist.

9. The only thing consistent in life is change. I have watch two movies in the last 24 hours that made me cry, laugh, and curious. As the movie ended or even in the middle my attention would shift to my children or my own desires. Emotions are like waves and our body has a natural absence flow. Some things stick around longer then others. For instance, I lost my best friend five years ago and I still get upset about it and I don't think the pain will ever completely go away. On the flip side, when I was in high school I didn't care about anything. What made me willing to look inside of myself to change my perspective of my interactions with the world was having a child. Suddenly my actions really did effect someone else in a way they had no control of, so I had to assess myself. Keep up the good work. Your right where you need to be, doing just what you should be. Everything happens for a reason.

10. It goes away because you aren't being present after listening to it a few times

11. #11 SlowMo, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
    Neurotransmitter levels and locations associated with producing feelings of excitement (or whatever) become DOWN-REGULATED (throttled back) with the repetition of the experience.

It's actually the same basic regulatory mechanism that produces drug tolerance in proportion to usage. The brain and body have zillions of biochemical feedback mechanisms that are always trying to maintain harmonious levels of just about everything imaginable, including that of neurotransmitters. Repeated over-production, whether as a result of repeating the same (or similar) experiences, or thru repeated intake of drugs, is met with internal chemical "efforts" (reaction pathway feedback) to counter those level changes. This tends to reduce the effect of those changes in proportion to the frequency and degree that they're produced.

12. A lot of people get emotionally detached at some point. I just exercise, meditate, smoke weed, listen to music and watch movies. All of those seem to bring me forth emotion.