Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Ice is bad.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by aquabats, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ice or No Ice?

Can someone clear this up for me. I can't find any good info on this topic.
    It still seems up in the air about smoke passing through ice, and whether or not this will recrystallize THC smoke particles of the gas to that of a solid inside your lungs.

I remember hearing Illadelph's explanation about the frosted smoke process, which is why they invented their coil cooling system because it will not crystallize the smoke.
    Is this just a marketing ploy?

Can someone with more chemistry knowledge shed some light on this? The know the basics of gen chem and gas laws do make this seem true.

2. don't trust a thing illadelph says.

3. illadelph just want to sell you a 300$ coil lol. ice or no ice it dosent matter cold dosent effect delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol at all.

4. Don't trust letter or words either!

I personally don't use ice because of laziness. But this is a good topic and would like to know more...

Although, water or ice in your lungs is whatever, I've almost drowned many many many times surfing boarding diving swimming, I got plenty water in my lungs.

Unless ice vapors causes some sort of unknown stuff, then I dunno, why we need answers lol.

5. hmmm.. glycerin that can be at temps below freezing vs. water that's frozen.. pretty sure its the exact same thing except you need a much colder freezer to have glycerin cubes in your bong :p

6. They're not talking about the bud, this is about your lungs.

7. Smoke passes thru glycerin filled chamber, glycerin itself is sealed.

8. btw.. i think the whole "freezing particles" things is BS.. there is always moisture(water vapor) in the air.. even if its very little.. when winter comes.. i do not stay inside because of fear that when i breathe ice will build up in my lungs

9. yes i understand that.. the glycerin ice cube was a joke :p ....still how much degree difference can there be between 5-7mm of glass when the whole thing is in the freezer

10. They just want you to buy their overpriced draggy coil.

Ice works fine. I would never buy anything from Illadelph lol

11. I have no idea about "re-crystalizing" THC.

I do know however that the cold air that is released from the ice sruface has a high moisture content. Intaking this moisture directly into your lungs can cause pheumonia.

I dont use ice out of pure laziness, if you want smooth hits you should go for more diffusion.

12. Get some titanium ice cubes, problem solved.

13. unless you are already sick.. i highly doubt you'd end up with pneumonia... the lining of your lungs need moisture.. winter is usually a pretty dry time of the year when it comes to the air.. the added bong moisture if anything will probably help your lungs

14. The lining in our lungs is a thin layer of mucus, not water vapor. And yes the air is very dry in the winter. Thats because the ambient cold temperuature sucks all the moistur out of the air. In this case it is the complete opposite, the ice cube is cold, and the ambient temperature is warm so the moisture is then released into the air.

This is linked to pneumonia because it is the build up of fluid in your lungs. Most people get pneumonia during the spring when the snow is melting around them because of this.

15. ice bad? cant see a justified reason to believe this theory

16. Not true. Marketing ploy.

17. meth is bad for you...yes

18. This is what I was getting at, gas recrystallizing in lungs that can cause pneumonia/etc.

But after doing some more research, to what I understand ...is that the ice chamber in a bong is not cold enough to recrystallize smoke.

Maybe I should ask my chem professor.... but I probably will need to re-word the question though.. :smoke:

As for Ice itself, other than ice fucking with your water levels. I find it gimmicky. And should be treated as a 2nd alternative to diffusion.
    If the diffusion is there, air > frost.

19. you're already getting water vapor from pulling hot smoke through water.. the temperature of smoke is well over 210F.. 210F boiling point of water = water vapor.. adding ice is not going to make that large of an impact

20. Yea taking bong hits with ice in the chamber is not going to fucking give you pneumonia. Ice in a bong can be nice to cool down the smoke but if you have sufficient percolation or diffusion its not really very necessary IMO. The main drawback I see to using ice is water stains on your bong over time but those can be gotten rid of