I wonder if I have schizophrenia

Discussion in 'General' started by Goopus, May 10, 2011.

1. No. She has been to a psychiatrist about it, and takes medication. She only has delusions when she's had to wait for her prescription to be refilled.

And as stated before in the thread, Schizophrenic people cannot tell the difference between the delusion and actual reality.

And honestly, I'd rather you not question if she actually has it or not, seeing as how you do not know her. Unless i took your question the wrong way, of course.

2. schizophrenics cant differentiate between what is real and what is not. that is why it is such a debilitating disease

if the power to differentiate between real and delusion was a mark of schizophrenia it would not nearly be as terrible of a disease as it is. to see someone who had to go through hell to get control over his schizophrenia read "a beautiful mind." dont watch the movie, it doesnt have the same effect

3. ^hense the reason I asked if he was homosexual.

4. I'm watching the movie right now.

Look, I'm not saying I have schizophrenia.

I understand that people with schizophrenia go through hell.

But I am nineteen. I heard somewhere that sometimes schizophrenia really picks up around eighteen. I'm just saying, I wonder.

You know?

I was just outside smoking, looked up and saw a woman on the porch. She looked strange. I put my head down and smoked for about a minute. I glanced back up and she was gone. Didn't hear a door shut and she was probably twenty feet away.

Was she real? Probably.

I just wonder. That's all. I feel crazy. That's all.

5. thats the thing though. if you had schizophrenia you would not be wondering. the onset of illness is typically more debilitating for men than it is women. theres no transition between sane and insane. it just happens, without you ever noticing

what you are describing is normal psychologically wise. every body hears things from time to time. the people who have the power to ask "was that real?" are still psychologically sound. schizophrenics, at least unmedicated ones dont have that luxury

6. I feel crazy too. But feeling crazy and actually being crazy are 2 different things.

Hope people know i mean no offense to people with schizophrenia.

7. I wondered that once when I heard people talking to me a few times to later find out they weren't real. When I researched it and talked to my psychology teacher I realized that it was pretty silly of me to wonder, seeing as - as all the people in this thread have already stated - if you have schizophrenia the delusions are going to seem so real that you won't believe you have any kind of mental illness. Sometimes noises can be morphed in your mind to sound like things you can more easily distinguish, like the humming of a game system sounding like your name or a class full of noise sounds like someone is talking to you right behind you (these both happened to me). Your brain is supposed to take stimuli that doesn't make sense and piece it together into something understandable. It's totally natural. If you have schizophrenia - and I'm no expert, only taken a psychology class and read up on it - then you'll probably be "imagining" friends or members of your family, people you think are so real that when you find out it's going to seem utterly absurd.

8. If I'm not mistaken, it's possible that doing the unmentionable, that was mentioned can help a bit.

Buuut, can't exactly discuss that there, just thought I'd share a bit of info that im not positive on.

9. wrong. read the article. those children clearly exhibited symptoms of schizophrenia. all types. and many derived extreme benefit from psychedelic psychotherapy

and of course those with psychosis should not use psychedelics by themselves in a recreational setting. nobody said they should. in the hands of the right therapist, who understands the psychedelic state, the damage is little if any

10. I have a family member with schizophrenia who has TRIED shrooms and had a bad trip.

My best friend's older brother has schizophrenia who does shrooms REGULARLY and enjoys them.

Both take medication (not sure what, though). Just as those of us who don't have schizophrenia - different strokes for different folks. My mom passes out when she smokes weed and my sister has panic attacks. I smoke like my life depends on it and so does my little brother.

Never a black and white "don't do" or "do it".

11. Man... I hope I don't have it. But sometimes I find myself searching through a bit Internet of my acquaintances. Friends. Family. People of that nature. I try to connect each one to something concrete and make sure they exist.

Sure, I've sometimes worried that Kristi didn't exist.

12. You're very right about that. However, I think that he was saying that if someone legitimately has schizophrenia that they should use extreme caution when experimenting/using psychedelic drugs. I agree with that.

It's a case by case thing. Psychedelics can be used to help someone gain a completely new, positive perspective on things--although they can also worsen any pre-existing mental illnesses.

Ultimately, just be safe and don't assume that putting something in your body will fix any problems that you have. That's something that needs to be worked out on a complete state of awareness and openness.

In my opinion mediation and therapy are the answers, if there are any.

13. My uncle was a schizophrenic. He thought everyone in the state of Kentucky was trying to kill him...

14. That disability (is it?) is no laughing matter if you think you have it...Don't go on GC and post get your ass to your doctor.

Seriously people with that shit are fucking weird (No Offense to anyone)

15. Right. Because "fucking weird" won't offend anyone. :rolleyes:

It's interesting how people are acting like people choose these mental illnesses.

16. Schizos aren't that weird. You probably pass one every day and not even know it.

I'm schizo and for me it's like tripping on acid without the visuals. I was a functional schizophrenic for years and none of my friends suspected mental illness. But after I met my girlfriend I sought a more stable lifestyle so I started taking my meds. Haven't had a delusion ever since.

But I always think back to my wild spontaneous days when life was art. I've know what it's like to be a political prisoner, a CIA target, a gangster government refugee, an alien experiment, etc thanks to my schizophrenia. So no regrets.

17. yo man pretty sure i got a little paranoid schizophrenia. I'll admit it cause im finally getting over it now that I REALIZE I am actually just paranoid, and that I just think I hear things that ppl say.

Like...Idk whenever I would work or be with friends, i'd think my breath smelled. (cotton mouth. if my mouth has a weird taste [which im 99.99% sure is just postnasal drip...smokin doesnt help it.] i'd think it smelled, then finally after asking NO LIE, probably 30 different people I trusted, I simply had to accept the fact that ONE of them would at least tell the truth if it did you know? Plus I explained my reasoning many many many times to them and they had a look of complete and total honesty and sincirty when they said it...I love my friends/family/coworkers...haha.

Damn im baked...

but dude...bite the voices and ignore them, blast some music and focus on it or pick up a hobby.

18. my advice would be...

dont self diagnose. ;)

19. It is true usually it comes late teens 17 -19 and it could be just depression or something too.