I Watched A Man Die Today

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Wolves, Dec 19, 2011.

1. #1 Wolves, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    This will be a long read, but it is what it is.

I'm currently in Costa Rica on vacation with my dad for the week. I decided to take surfing lessons today and arrived at the beach at 9am. The waves were perfect and it was a beautiful day. I surfed with my instructor Carlos until about 12:30 when my dad came to relax and bask in the sun. The clouds rolled in and it began to drizzle so we packed up and headed back to our resort.

As we were walking, a police officer ran past us waving down a police suv. I looked down the beach and saw about 5 guys carrying a guy and his surfboard out of the water. I don't know why, maybe it was curiosity, but I walked towards them.

They laid their friend down on the sand and an officer started to attempt cpr. I stood maybe 2 feet away from the man while the officer tried his hardest to revive him. Foam spewed from his nose and mouth and he slowly lost his color.

Minutes past and the man continued to lose color. His face turned a light purple and his arms and legs were completely pale. The officer didn't stop giving cpr even though minutes past. More and more foam continued to flow from his nose and mouth. A friend of his was screaming while another man held him back.

The officer waved for the suv and they drove the man away... The whole time I stood there I couldn't come to say anything. My dad was telling me we needed to go, but I couldn't move.

I feel this experience was so powerful to me because of the timing. Recently I've been pondering life after death and the meaning of life and everything you guys talk about every day on this section. I felt as if his soul was hovering above us, watching us watch his vessel slowly decay.

This is the first time I've ever witnessed the death of a human first hand. I feel like I was meant to see that man die today. I think the fact that my dad and I left the beach at that specific moment where we would see all this happen wasn't just a coincidence. I believe me watching that man pass on was meant to happen. I can't say his death was meant to happen, but me witnessing it was.

I feel as though my understanding of the subject of life and death may not have changed, but at the same time it has.

tl;dr

I was at the beach with my dad when we saw a man get pulled out of the water from a surfing accident (what most likely happened). I watched from a few feet away the man slowly die as police tried to revive him with cpr. I feel I was meant to see this happen because of all the spiritual and philosophical enhancement I've mentally and physically experienced in recent months.

2. Seeing death just makes me want to live life harder.

3. thats fucked man. maybe destiny is real?

4. Death is powerful because it represents the unknown and the thought that we will cease to exist forever.

5. More like we will cease to exist indefinitely.

6. I witnessed a vehicle accident and I was the first one there, after calling 911 I ran over to the driver to see if I could help. He was extremely bloody and his face was halfway sliced open. He was pinned in his seat by the steering column so I knew I couldn't move him. He saw me through the broke window and just looked at me without any emotion, staring at me until I could tell he stopped breathing and didn't blink anymore. I'm still scarred to this day

7. Damn, I'm so stoned and I just pictured this so intensively and realistic. Scary stuff.

8. thats fucked up you had to see something like that, but to think that you were somehow meant to see this guy die is crazy. it was just a coincidence that you happened to be there, alot of people die everyday and even more people witness deaths everyday, it happens.

9. This doesn't negate any spiritual value op may have found in such a situation though.

10. I watched my grandfather die from cancer when I was in 6th grade. He was at my uncle's house to die after he took a hard fall and broke his hip, and they called me up and got me out of school to go see him and I was sitting there beside him while he was in like a coma or something just waiting for him to stop breathing and during the last breath he took a big tear rolled down his face. That shit still kills me

11. #11 DarthBizzle, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    I feel you OP...

A month ago today I watched my Dad's pulse slowly slip away after a four month bout with an aggressive cancer.... It seems like yesterday, but it seems like a year ago at the same time...

The first person close to me who'd ever passed, and it had to be my dad... I'd never seen anyone die either... It was more peaceful, i believe, than what you witnessed... But it left a lot of questions... Could this have been voided? I'm no doctor, but I didn't agree with how liberal with medication they were, and how their only solution was to "make him as comfortable as possible" instead of treat the desiese... I understand the type of cancer he had was very severe, but until three months before his death he was a picture a health besides his tumor... idk...

but more in the realm of speculation... what was going through his mind? was anything at all? he was in a dead stare the entire day, in the fetal position, staring at nothing until the last moment... he hugged me and my mom but at that point he couldn't speak...

I don't know that my dad left peacefully... Between the cancer that had spread to his brain and the copious amounts of the strongest medications they had, i don't know if the fetal position he curled up in and the non responsive comatose was comfort, or the most horrifying things we couldn't imagine...

his liver began to shut down... do doubt, the chemo and the constant intervenious pain medicines had something to do with that... but could he feel it?

On the outside it appeared his pulse literally just slowed to a halt.. It looked like he just stopped working.. which, he hadn't moved in hours... but... it was different...

as wrong as i believe the situation was handled and as horrifying of an experience as it was for everyone involved, especially my dad, for the four months we went through this.... my dad entered the situation in faith that everything would work through god as it should... Which is how I've always treated life... I guess he instilled something in me hah... Just as you, OP, I believe, and my Dad believed, that that moment was meant to happen...

I'm not bitter.. I know who was in the wrong, but life happens as it should, no matter the circumstance. It's what you take out of your situation and what you make out of it that instills positivity or negativity...

I'm glad my dad left this world in acceptance... I'm sure he will be treated well for his services in life

12. Wow man. Pretty heavy duty stuff. Take some time to contemplate what it means to you, and don't worry if you don't come to any conclusions.

Also you may wish to seek out the book "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones".

13. no not at all, I was just saying that this kind of thing happens everyday, and that he wasn't "destined" to be there. (just my opinion, although its a very sane and logical one)

14. "I buried my friend the other day
    And I saw my life in a different way
    It was a cold afternoon for a funeral
    I did not shed a tear as I watched the snow fall
    Is there something wrong with me?
    When did I become this empty?
    As I gazed down at his grave
    I knew someday I'd end up
    This way!" -life of agony

15. stay strong my dude, I'm truly sorry to hear you had to go through that endeavor.

I'll do just that as well as look into that book when I return home.

16. What do you think is happening to him at this very minute? By "him" I mean his soul.

17. I believe he has been reincarnated into anything anywhere that lives. He can be a baby boy / animal on this planet or a newly born human / creature on any other life supporting planet in the universe...

18. Interesting. Where does your belief come from? And how do you know it's true?

19. woah that's heavy. Goes to show how precious life really is.

20. I don't really know where my belief comes from, it's just what makes the most logical sense to me after a lot of philosophizing and just deep thought lol. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed I believe energy is universal and can travel anywhere any way. Who's to say our soul is trapped on this planet to this specific species?

I also don't know it's true, I just believe it is.