I was watching a documentary on Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by NeverOddOrEven., Jul 13, 2011.

1. Basically the new testament was written many many many years after jesus would have died rather than being written by the first hand witnesses right then and there? and at the time metaphorical literature was very popular for teaching values
    just wondering if anyone else believes that the bible is really just a fictional story with a message

2. I do. I found out about the pagan myths that were similar and in some cases the stories are identical with that of Jesus. I read the book

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Mysteries-Was-Original-Pagan/dp/0609807986]Amazon.com: The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? (9780609807989): Timothy Freke, Peter Gandy: Books[/ame]

and it became even clearer. I now see Jesus as not a historical figure at all, but a myth to help people become awake.

3. In it's current form the bible is what's left of various religious texts that have been changed, twisted, amalgated and politicized.

4. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." John 14:26

5. Yes. I do, and always will, stand by my belief that the bible is just a book full of fictional stories (that MIGHT have been based on real events) compiled together and exaggerated to help people in moral crisises. Crisees?

6. If it's fiction, then the writers must've had hell of imaginations...

7. #7 Brucemalis, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Or consumed some heavy drugs like dmt

8. Read The Book of Mormon. Alma 45-55 is the war chapters. Great stories about Captain Moroni’s war strategies. 3 Nephi tells about Christ’s visiting the America’s. Great book that is just another testament to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

9. Seriously? Creation Stories Looks like crazy imaginations are a constant in stories about religion.

10. You do know that this was proven to be bogus right? The Bible is not a mixture of random historical myths, this is a completely false claim. I'm surprised people still bring this up.

11. #11 Kush Lord, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
    heck, the actual teachings of Jesus are incredibly wise and make perfect sense...I cant imagine that stuff being made up. Jesus had a very real, authentic and consistent message...wisdom like that must have come from someone that is incredibly smart and true hearted.

So many people think Christianity is only about talking snakes, a bearded man in the sky, etc....they completely ignore the important parts.

Saying Jesus is made up is just like saying the Buddha is made up...almost everyone can agree the Buddha existed. You can tell theyre real because their teachings make a lot of sense, has a very deep meaning and its very consistent.

12. ***Disclaimer- May be offensive to Christians -***

Anybody who actually calls themselves a Christian should think about it. Faith, beliefs, etc... those are fine. I embrace the idea of those. I do not embrace the idea of a religion like Christianity though. Most Christians will acknowledge the crazy shit in the bible. The racism, sexism, etc... Well then how are you a "Christian" if you disagree with most of it. You can believe Jesus was the son of God. You can embrace many of the good morals that come with being a human... Not a follower of god. I know I shalt not steal. Murder? Of course not... Nobody needs this control device to embrace the idea of God, or being a good person.

Oh... I do not mean any hatred towards anybody. That is just my view of it. I went to a Lutheran church until I was 14-15. I been baptized son. :eek: I'm sorry if anybody was offended by the message above. I just... It kind of disgusts me when I see parents forcing their kids to go to church. :poke:

13. #13 meddlehaze, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
    I understand your view and you're not alone. I am a Christian and totally not offended. It's your true belief and who am I to condemn it? I will say that there are explanations to the things you mentioned. Some being taken out of context which happens on a regular basis.. I used to think the same way as you with those topics and this is why I feel the need to analyze it and mature in my faith and understanding of it. Also, another Christian doctrine is that no one is good nor will ever do "good" on their own. It's God who causes His children to be righteous(edit) through His Son. It's not us* Just letting you know how some of us Christians come to our conclusions

It doesn't sit well with me either seeing anyone forcing their beliefs on anyone whether it be a child or grown adult. I do find it beautiful to see people genuinely sharing their beliefs though :)

14. If Jesus was a fictional character, then is he the ultimate super hero?

15. Incorrect, nothing has been debunked. you can pick up many books about ancient myths that are similar stories. MIthras, Dionysus, Osiris, turned water into wine, walked on water, rode on town on a donkey, raised the dead, died for our sins, ressurected, son of God, and rose up to God.

16. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5ojdedvvY]‪Jesus: A Pagan God‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

17. Man, you're posting that zeitgest video on religion. It has been debunked a long time ago. The video doesnt even show actual quotes, it just makes claims. Do your research before putting so much faith into youtube videos.

check here for sources: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=iw#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=zeitgeist+religion+debunked

18. We've already discussed this on another thread and I even used early CHURCH FATHER quotes to show that even the early Church Fathers knew that the myths of Jesus and the pagans were similar.

19. That really proves nothing...

"oh, some people said Jesus is completely made up so it must be true"

20. Even before you hit play on that youtube video you already see it making the "December 25th" claim....December 25th is NOWHERE in the bible.

Are you sure you want to trust that video?