I was suspended for showing this film in class

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by tinytim5524, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I showed my friends short film [ame=http://vimeo.com/33370714]18/S on Vimeo[/ame] in English class and am now suspended :( Should I fight it?

2. after watching the video... id say the suspension is justified.

3. but art is art. i dont think they should suspend me because something is uncomfortable??

4. that was funny when he was grinding the fire hydrant and the cop stared and minded his own business:D

nicotine is a gateway drug.

5. im glad you understand that the film should be taken lightly. my teacher said my intent was malicious and that i was disturbed. i might have to meet with my guidance counselor. will this hurt my college application?

6. Uhmmm yes suspension was a good idea.

7. you guys can't just tell me that it was a good idea! i need specific reasons why. im gonna try to counter your answers here so that ill be ready when i get back to school.

8. idk? were you that guy or that girls voice? explain your reason for it positively. It was malicious but what isn't malicious in english class. Example: Grindle, Beowulf, and every other assigned english literature.

9. Would have expelled your ass, but that's just me.

10. Personally I liked the video. Audio, video and message was cool. I'm I offended? No. Is it unusual that a school would suspend you for that? No. The only thing I thought was odd that a girl narrated the video for a guy's thoughts.

11. Yes you should fight it. I don't understand what's in this video that any young adult can't handle?

12. my assignment was to bring in something in which the main character is not a typical "hero" or a good person. some kid brought in the dark knight. i mean, really? i have nothing against that film but I decided to show something my friend made because I really liked it and thought it was perfect. Next thing I know the principal is yelling at me...

13. i just think its sad that we can study and read dark things like dantes inferno but when we try to bring something in ourselves we are labeled as disturbed and sent to the guidance counselor. my teacher would never call Stephen King disturbed.

14. #14 Cycil, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
    What were the circumstances to why you presented it?

EDIT: Never mind didn't refresh the page.

I think you should fight it because you did the assignment correctly, any mature adult, whether they be your classmates, teachers, whoever, should not label you as disturbed, but see that you took the assignment to heart.

15. i found the video funny, don't really see the point or any meaning behind it, but funny

edit: i do agree though, art is art, if this video means something to you i don't believe you should be suspended. teachers at my school would respect it

16. I would hardly say suspension or any form of punishment is justified for showing that video. Though, I'm curious, give me some more context. Did you coax the teacher into presenting it to the class? Did you bust out a laptop mid teaching and show some friends the vid? Were you doing fuckall and just showed your friends the vid? Details. Context can be key.

Oh, you just specified. Thanks :) I still stand by my statement that your punishment is unjustified. It is art.

Hail Satan, abolish government.

17. What was the message or point of the video? I don't get it.

18. thank you guys for your input so far!
    so far my arguments are:
    1. art is art. andy warhol filmed someone getting a blowjob. it is still art.
    2. i am not a disturbed person. Stanley Kubrick filmed A Clockwork Orange and I wouldn't say he's disturbed. I didn't even make this film jeez

Anything else I could say?

19. the message of the video. i mean of course its up to everyones interpretation, but as far as what my buddy told me, he said it was about the lonely people in the world. its about the people that come out at night. the people no one thinks about. i guess thats kinda dark but so is every classic piece of literature in some form.

20. This x100.

It sounds like you have a terrible teacher/hierarchy of staff.