I want your suggestions for human progression.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by simmer, Feb 11, 2010.

1. #1 simmer, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    I've been brooding. Philosophizing lately.
    So much so have my thoughts absorbed me as of late that I was practically raped by my coworker last night and I didn't give it much thought :rolleyes:

I want to know any problems you see with collective society or with societies constituents.
    i.e. Marriage, politics, starvation, intellectual uncomfortability, jerks, friendships, laws, etc...

I want suggestions on how to solve these problems.
    I've been overthinking, but here is one I came up with for politics.

The problem: Politicians not giving a shit about their constituents.

Solution: we take the spread of the standard of living for every household in the county or town that a senator or mayor presides over. Something like the mode or the mean (excluding outliers). Anyway, we take that statistic (the constituents standard of living) and BY LAW that mayor or senator what have you, is forced to live in a household similar to that of his constituents.
    Therefore, this will encourage him to better his town/county. It will be done out of selfishness or greed to be sure, because he would really do it to better his own standard of living. AT THE VERY LEAST this method of housing our mayors/senators/representatives, will help better connect them to the people they represent.

2. Problem: Ignorance

Solution: Knowledge

3. ^^^

of course.
    It's so simple that it just might never be attempted :p

4. lol exactly.

Problem is that people either don't have access to information, or simply just don't care.

The former won't be a problem in the near future, as technology has enabled people to access the information of the world at their fingertips.

5. Problem: Everyone getting so butthurt over abortion, religion, politics, gay marriage, drug use etc.

Solution: Mind your own business! If it doesn't hurt you directly back the fuck off

6. If only it was that easy.
    Bit buzzed right now so somehow that seems really really easy but I know it really isn't as easy as it seems to me now :smoke:

7. Problem: long-term ecological damage, biosphere destruction, global poverty, global hunger

Solution: Consume less. That means you - yes YOU. You're consuming too much. Stop it.

Solution seems a little too easy huh?

8. Agreed...

9. people are far too inherently greedy for this to ever happen.

10. i dont think human progression is a realistic thing. Human beings relish in hate, violence, and even their own sorrow and depression. Without these things, we simply create shit to take the place

humans evolved so that we are more intelligent. No longer do we have the animal characteristics of fighting over a mate, or scavenging and hunting for food. (obviously we still hunt but the majority of food is from farm fields and slaughter houses)

So, since we dont NEED these forms of violence anymore, we create things to take their place. The Roman coliseum, unnecessary war, fights over trivial matters.

I have come to believe that, humans LOVE violence, they love hate. They love the sense of superiority and masculinity that comes with a victory in a physical fight.

I dont, therefore i will always be different than the norm but thats fine for me because i know whats right.

Tv, video games etc. just glorifying death and destruction

the only thing that would benefit the earth, and perhaps the human race, is to have it be completely wiped out.

We are but a virus

11. Problem: The monetary system, Fiat currency and centralized banks.

Solution: Close all central banks. Remove all currency in circulation. Form a new currency backed by something of real value; revert to the days of precious metal stockpiling to give currency value. Encourage bartering and the use of individual credit agreements, cheques and promissory notes, without the need for a bank.

Obviously more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

12. I wish that solution had anything to do with these problems.

13. this. this. this. this. this. this. this.

also:

problem: war and people killing each other

solution: no war, no killing each other, we dont have to agree on everything and killing each other doesn't help anything

hey i can dream cant i

14. that would probably be a good first step for human progression.. i mean, a random act of murder is one thing, but come on, state sponsored murder is still murder.

15. problem: Hate

solution: Love

Peace :smoking:

16. It does.

17. #17 Stoli, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    People overconsume. It's redundant to say, but the impact of that overconsumption is minor compared to some other impacts (ie, FAMINE, MURDER, AND DISCRIMINATION?)

The war on terror, for example. all of america overconsuming causes mild environmental damage, and a bit of waste.

big fucking deal. do you know how many starving people we could feed (citizens of our own country)? if we didn't spend what we do on the war on terror?

All of the overconsumption, and over pollution, would probably cost as much as a modern bomber to clean up 75% of.

18. If people consume less it certainty wont be bad thing, choose your arguments more wisely.

perhaps we can consume less AND stop killing people/ treating each other terribly.

Once living a balanced life becomes considered "smart" a lot of ignorant people might start being a bit more balanced and stop hating to such an extreme.

Basically, knowledge will solve all of our problems, that's why it's knowledge, if you've acquired knowledge you've added to your self as a whole. You've grown in some way. People need to start being taught how to go seek knowledge, and understand the difference between a good source and bad source rather than just being told what to do.

19. Problem: Religion

Solution: Get them to open their closed minds -.-

20. The destruction of our most fundamental survival system seems pretty major to me. Of course combating famine, murder and discrimination should be a priority. Unfortunately, we won't be able to tackle any of our socio-economic issues should our environment collapse.

Actually, far more than "mild".

Pretty much every natural resource we care to evaluate, we find there are serious issues with damaging the biosphere as well as economic and environmental sustainability.

Yeah, but I'm in no way arguing for the war on terror. Your response is a little bit of a non sequitur. Feed your own citizens instead of kill the citizens of another country on the other side of the planet - sounds good to me!

It doesn't really address consumption patterns, though.

Uhhh, no. Where you came up with these figures.... I have no clue.