I want to start my 1. grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vitriol, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Hello everibody,

I am new here and in idoors growing world. I used to plant outside, when I was younger, but now when I have family an a little son, outdoors is too risky for me. Well, I have one 400W HPS (GE lighting LUCALOX standard). In my country, on weed forums, everibody is talking only abot HPS systems, because that is only sys with wich, they say, it is possible to grow from start to the end. I have found a lot of exelent treds about CFL & FL grows, but for now I don't have enough money and resources for them.

And now, to the point:

1. As I understand, HPS have only red spectrum, so it isn't good for veg. One of my friends started his first grow with 400W HPS, veged them for 6 weeks, and then turned to 12/12 hoping for good yeald. But, it turned that he was wrong. His Big Bud (NIRVANA) now, and it is in 5th week of flowering looks like bonsai tree, only 35 cm high. Allso, from 7 plants he have, only 3 left, and one of them is hermy wich looks very sad. They have some buds, but if get 1/4 oz, I personaly think that he can be extremly happy. I allso noticed that they grow wery slow under HPS.

Does this mean that veg time must be prolonged, and if it is soo, how long veg time is needed? What is sugested veg time under HPS?

Hope I will be discusing with you again and thanks in advance,

VITRIOL

2. If you have a HPS system you will be better off getting a MH conversion bulb for it to use during veg. Also, I would consider getting a 430w Son Agro bulb for flowering. Have a nice day.

3. I believe a MH conversion bulb would be best for veg. I haven't tried veg with just my hps so I only have your report on results to go by. I have good results vegging under 4 4 foot 40 watt flouros (daylight) 6400k. I paid 15 US dollars each for 2 fixtures to hold 4 bulbs. a box of 10 bulbs weren't very expensive either. peace

4. Thanks. But ewen CFLs are ferytale to me:( . I get this HPS for free, and need to use it for veg. Thats why I am asking for advice about vegging under HPS.

Stay :smoking: !!!

5. You can use it and while your THC levels will not be as high as I understaand it, the yield should be fairly similar. Your freind screwed up his grow and that is why he is having a poor yield.

p.s. if you can't afford a single CFL how are you going to pay for the higher electric bill an HPS cost between $20-$40 dollars per month? Just a thought.

6. Well, all costs are allredy calculated, but all other income is strictly planed:( . At least for this month, and I want to start as soon as possible.

You think tkat my friend screwd up by puting them to flower too early?

How many watts/plant of CFLs or TLs is needed to veg of a month or month and half ?

7. You can get a mh conversion bulb for a 400w fixture for less than $40.. Sell a few grams of the dank shit you end up with as a result and call it a day. =)

8. Hi,

how many CFLs would are needed to bring to the end of flowering two very small (about 15" tall) female plants whic are in flowering for 5 weeks under HPS? They are in 2 gallon pots (30 cm in diametar). I vant to clean up the space for new grow under HPS, and still don't want to throw away those two girls.

Thanks