I want to learn.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by enlightend, Jun 6, 2010.

1. I just finished watching the entirety of The Union. It was stunning how much information they gave. It was hard to keep track of it all.

I still enjoy cannabis but before, I didn't know much. I tried to go about it the smart way. I looked up the medical facts, weighed the pro's and con's. And now I can proudly say that I am enlightened.

But I want to know more. What is so bad about this plant? I know that the movie had some flaws though. There were at least one or two points made that I knew were one sided and I knew weren't the whole truth but it was hard to prove most any other points in the documentary wrong. If we don't learn how can we educate others?

Help me learn so I can aspire to teach.

2. I'm assuming you're talking about using cannabis as a drug here. There can be negatives to drug use, but most of the time these problems are unique to the individual and depend upon a lot of different factors.

Respiratory problems can definitely arise from smoking, especially over a long period of heavy use. I've heard people complain of headaches (I've never had one) from either too much weed or bad weed. I've heard that for people coming off heavy use, it's hard to readjust to sober life, which I think holds true for almost any drug that is used daily. I've also heard that people with certain mental illness shouldn't smoke weed.

In reality, it's something for the individual to gauge and react to (like any drug). If you enjoy cannabis, toke up responsibly. If you don't enjoy it, I'm sorry.

3. It can demotivate you, and leave you basically waiting every night to get high. It becomes the highlight of your day as everything else loses its life and vigour due to you being so fucking tired and burned out all the time.

But that's if you toke up every day, and if you're that sort of person. And it's quite simple to get control over, just stop smoking so much and plan to do things.

That certainly doesn't warrant any kind of government scrutiny or illegalisation, it's a far tamer level of dependance than someone addicted to alcohol or cigarettes. And that's really about it, besides the supposed link to schitzophrenia which is neither truly confirmed or rebutted. It's quite a vague link at best though, and no worse than the trend for alcoholics to suffer depression and apathy.

The price is the one other thing, but to the working adult it's affordable here. $75 a week would have me toking every night - as a sensible and moderate adult, I instead buy $50 a week and smoke 3 nights a week :p

4. I get high everyday, ALL DAY, and have been for at least 20 years....in that time i have obtained 4 degree's, including a MBA. I'm not fucking tired or burned out.

5. Then you, my friend, are NOT that sort of person - whilst I have a tendency to be that sort of person :p

6. Ok people brought up some cons but these cons also can come from drugs that are already legal: tobacco, alcohol, ect.

I was looking for more legal advice. I mean we can sit around and say "I want pot to be legal" but it's not going to happen if we don't start working towards it. Sure there already are some people who are working towards it but one- any number of the people who support legalizing could stop working for any reason and then who would do it? two- the more people who are for the legalization of cannabis the more chance there is of it actually being legalized.

But the health aspects are good too. Thanks for the replies still.

7. You see here is a few of the problems we face.

No one gives a fuck. While the majority of Americans are not opposed to it, they also could care less one way or another if or not it is decriminalized.

Marijuana users make up only a small percentage of registered voters and a percentage of that number is notoriously unmotivated when it comes to actual pro legalization activism. Face it the only thing that motivates politicians is vote's.

Then there's the fucking idiots out there that film them selves blowing a 3 year old shotguns off a blunt and brag about it which leads to the tape finding its way on CNN. It is then viewed by the American public who see it and equate marijuana use with child abuse.

As long as a small percentage of users take it upon themselves to run around looking like assholes instead of productive citizens then it will never be legal.

There does that help to enlighten you to why its demonized.

8. Yay democracy! :rolleyes:

9. Sad but true.......

10. Sad but true is right... So there pretty much is nothing to do unless every user started being productive and just not dumb in general. I'm not trying to sound pesimistic/sarcastic either.

11. No, but the majority of users need to start getting active in pro legalization activism, investing both time and money. We need to make this issue bigger than just us, so we can garner a bigger voting block. We need to focus on issues such as we are the only industrialized country that prohibits the cultivation of industrial hemp. If even that was legalized then just think of the boost to our farming industry and to the economy in general. We need to get off the legalizing and taxing it to save the economy, that wont work. However the 50 billion it would free up in law enforcement will work.

We need to push the positive instead of defending the negative.