I want to do a grow, total noob, help please?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by CaptainHappy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Alright, so background:

I got some seeds recently from a friend, After reading a beginner's guide I found on here (Thanks to the writer of this oh so awesome work) I looked at my seeds and found they looked just like the viable seeds in the guide so I'm good in that respect.

I'm not exactly a gardener, but I wanted to start growing some plants and such and figured why not, this could be an interesting experience.

Herein lies the problem. Many people in my family are elderly meaning much of my day goes to taking care of them. Ergo I can't be trucking myself all around Washington to take care of my plants. My only viable place would be against the back of my house with the rest of the plants. I planned to plant the bud as far back against the house as possible, the overhang on the roof would help cover it from the air and the facing of the house would still allow plenty of light.

I also planned to have the bud sitting a bit deeper than the rest of the plants and put some of the taller stuff near the back so that light can still get through to it but it's less noticeable to passers by/people admiring my gardening.

Alright, my key concerns:

1. Do you think this set up (Bud far back, set low into the ground, big plants around it) will work? If not can someone offer a similar still stealthy approach?

2. I'm new at this, any major dangers I have to worry about? (Does it need to be watered a ton, smell, do animals seek it out, etc)

3. Stuff I'll need for this? Helpful links?

Anyway, thanks for reading, help is appreciated.

2. Well in my limited experience the bud has the potential to grow past the 'taller' plants just to get more light...

3. I heard of that happening, I was planning of trying to keep the bud trimmed a bit shorter than the rest of the "Taller" plants, would that cause any horrible problems?

Also woo, first time posting on this forum when not high.

4. first off if you're in an area where there's people passing by... they WILL smell it when they walk by during flowering... it gets stanky :p

second... it's really not a good idea to hide the plants within other plants that'll be shielding it's light... this will cause stretching fairly bad... cause your MJ will be damned before some other plant outgrows it and shields it in darkness...

sounds to me like you need a better place to grow... as right up against a house, even with good light will shield the back of the plant and turn it brown and wimpy anyways, not to mention tall plant shields etc... MJ loves light, don't make it work for it, you won't like the results...

5. are there any woods around your house? you could just run out to the woods at night when everybody is asleep.

6. #6 OldSkool1010, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010

If anything, I'd suggest putting plants behind your grass to break up any outline. Also, if you're growing near your residence, keep the dope in pots that you can move. I grow in #3 nursery containers and 10" pots; that keeps the plants fairly small at around 3-4 feet. You can LST them down and over to disguise them even more, and probably improve yield. Keep the grow to manageable number, I grow 2-3 runs in a season. if starting from regular seed, I start like 10 at a time and usually wind up with 6 or 7 females.

If anyone needs access to your yard, you can always hide your garden in a shed or something while your yard isn't secure.

Depending on the strain and weather conditions, your flowering girls will stink it up. My first grow from unknown genetics was quite fragrant. One morning I had to walk to the convenience store about 2 blocks away and I could detect the fragrance when I came out of the store. I would cut a strip of lawn every morning during that plant's flowering to help mask the smell.

Oh yeah, do NOT plant in the drip-line of the roof. Any water run-off will destroy your plants.

7. #7 Doc6701, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
    Go to your local hydroponic store and tell them what you want to do. They will not steer you wrong or sell you a bunch of shit you dont need. Just tell them the size and budget. Dont buy it then, come here and compare to the recommendations you get here.

So, size and budget? I would recommend about $800 start up, minimum, but it can be done the hard way for a couple of hundred.

nevermind I thought I was in indoor. my bad.