I tried Unagi rolls for the first time today.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by nascarfan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. For those of you that don't know, its a sushi roll with eel, I got avacado in mine too. I have to say, it's actually not bad. The roll itself is like....idk a sushi rolls, tastes like soy sauce and wasabi lol. But I picked a little piece of eel out, and you know what? I shit you not, it tastes just like chicken.

So....are eels fish or snakes? I don't know.

2. get the spider rolls

3. An eel is a fish. A delicious fish.

4. My buddy has been trying to talk me into trying these out. Might have to take him up on this the next time we hit the sushi bar

5. Call me uncultured, but i am not a fan of sushi. Gimmie some o' dat 5.99 hibachi chicken with shrimp sauce and i'm set.

6. What's in it?

7. We got ourselves a straight fool right here!

8. Cat rolls are the shit, man.

It's exactly what it sounds like.

9. Mmmm Suuushi :D

Don't make too much fun, the below was an 'educational roll' (a friend's first try at making me one of my favorite snacks :p ).

[​IMG]

The bonus to the 'sake maki', or most sushi-type items I make, is the Gold Dragon (hash tincture made with alcohol) and Glycerin Hash Tincture in the rice vinegar, and the 'Dragon in the home-mixed wassabi.. after preparing the rice an hour in advance, I whipped up the wassabi, while my good pal worked on the roll... he was apprehensive at first, and a bit shy to get started... until I told him rolling the rice and wrap was a bit like rolling a blunt, and BAM he was done like that. :D

I recommend Catalina Offshore Products if you have no local sources and need to order from away, and you want true sushi grade fish.. in other words, fish that has been frozen adequately at low enough temperatures, for long enough, to ensure there are no live parasites!

Your supermarket or local shop may carry some, but generally their fish is VERY RARELY sushi grade. :)

10. I tried octopus the other day I swear it tastes just like fresh crab.

11. dont see the fascination with eating raw fish -_-, not saying you do this but alot of people just eat sushi cause lately its the cool thing to do an they think its healthy

12. Yes eel rolls are delicious , sashimi is also BOMb!! ESP with some ichiban beer or a lil sake

13. Unagi is delicious. In my experience, people get freaked out when they "eel" but, if one didn't know, it could easily be confused with white fish.

14. #14 nascarfan, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
    Who said anything about raw fish? Not all sushi is raw. Eel rolls are cooked. Some of it's raw, some of it's not. Some of it doesn't have any meat in it at all. Some of it even has fried meat in it (tempura is delicious). Nomnomnomnom.

15. I've contemplated octopus before, but I can't quite get over the tenticles yet lol. I kinda like the salmon rolls. Tuna does not agree with me. Cooked or raw. Bleh.

16. #16 BadKittySmiles, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012

My absolute favorite is just a HUGE plate of of sake sashimi....

(For once, not a pic I took... courtesy of google :) )

[​IMG]

Sometimes, it's all I order. :)

I don't actually care for most cooked fish... it often makes it... taste..... fishy. :p

Giant piles of raw salmon can be healthy, or unhealthy, depending how you look at it.. it's a bit fatty,
    and it can contain some metals and minerals you don't want to be consuming very often.

But it also has loads of good omegas, minerals, vitamins and nutrients, great protein and bioactive
    peptides (many of which are very anti-inflammatory and wonderful for the digestive tract... and much of
    which is destroyed, once heated)!

A four oz serving has:

(Daily values/%)

264% - Vitamin D
    109% - Vit B12
    109% - tryptophan
    61% - protein
    61% - omega-3 fats
    61% - selenium
    37% - Vit B3
    31% - Phosphorous

But, besides that most fish isn't frozen and stored properly, I don't see the need to ruin the taste and
    texture, plus the nutritional value, with heat... it's really just all up to personal preference. :D

Plus, sushi (if I recall correctly) was originally a vegetarian, fish-free meal. And not all of it is raw... and some is
    QUITE 'American-ized'!

Tomay-to, Tomah-to, Potay-to, Potah-to....and all that :p

17. spiders

18. Lies and slander. Sushi is delicious. Spiders are not delicious. Therefore spiders cannot be sushi.

19. hahahahhahahah yeah. i had a friend recommend me spider roles but have no clue whats him them, never really tried sushi but it looks delicious!

thought this belonged here :D
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lty7RAHKT9E]Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule: Brule on Sushi - YouTube[/ame]

20. Keep sushi simple. Don't get all the crazy kinds with 5-6 different thinks in them where you can't taste the seafood at all, especially the ones with cream cheese in them! It ruins/masks the flavor of the seafood where you wont be able to taste it at all.