I topped my plants, its been like 2-3 days, when will I see new tops?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gregmagnu, Feb 4, 2013.

1. So I cut the tops, when will new ones come up? I sterelized the scissors. The plants cut off topp is blackish on the top of the cut. And can non topped plants still get a lot of weed? I feel like I should'nt of toped the plants.

2. I prefer lst. I don't like anything that stresses my plants or waiting for them to recover. I tie down the main top let the branches grow upwards. You can get the same as if you topped. Scrog is ok. Just harder unless you have individual screens.

3. That's a great comparison of LST and Topping, but I believe he asked an entirely different question.

Now for the answer to that question...I would say around 10 days - 2 weeks until there is noticeable new growth. Even though you're not seeing anything right now, a lot of shit is goin down.

4. Did you not see the last part of the post. Asking if un topped plants will produce as much? And mentioning not knowing if topping was the best. Just giving him my perspective.

5. .... I'd say closer to a few days, but I guess it depends on the skill of the grower. If it takes 2 weeks for noticable new growth then there's a problem.

Good point, untopped plants don't have to recover from anything at all, no loss of veg time. Imagine losing 2 weeks? LOL :smoke:

6. I usually see the new tops kicking in within about 3 days. If the plant is healthy it really doesn't stunt them at all, just takes a few days for auxins to be redirected

7. I mean like a decent enough amount of growth that you can for sure tell that its doing what topping is supposed to do. 10 days to 2 weeks.

8. #8 Doc-J, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    [quote name='"gregmagnu"']And can non topped plants still get a lot of weed?[/quote]

Yes, you can still get great yields without topping. Topping and lst just make more tops spreading the buds across a larger area. This is good for lights that do not have a lot of penetration or if just trying to maximize your square footage.

Here are a few of mine to show the difference:

Not topped at all, one main

ForumRunner_20130204_204125.png

Topped once, two main

ForumRunner_20130204_204301.png

Topped twice, about twelve tops but forgot to count the actual main branches

ForumRunner_20130204_204500.png

9. #9 Buffalo11024, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    I have found it to be strain dependent on what methods work best. chemdawg and nyc Diesel are both good to top or train. Other strains like some skunks are best in a shorter sog. Personally I top and I pull my branches in a little(NYCD really branched out) so I can fit an extra plant or two in a smaller space. I like the variety.