I think we have a boy - can you confirm?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by newbygrower, Jul 23, 2009.

1. First time grower here (3 plants growing outside in growhouse in UK - started with 10 Hollands Hope seeds, 8 germinated, 6 survived, cat decimated 3). Our plants are 7 weeks old from when we planted them into their big pots as seedlings. We suspected Vasquez (yes, they have names) was a boy from the start as it was always a bit bigger than the other two, but today we noticed...well, I hope someone can tell me what we noticed - preflowers...calyx...but Vasq sure looks like there is "ball on a stick" going on.

Other two included for reference (Newt and Ripley) - I don't think they're showing anything yet.

BTW, just back from a stonking weekend in Amsterdam and the Cannabis College is THE place to go - so helpful!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. No replies at all! Any/all opinions welcome please! :wave:

3. it looks a little early to tell, are you seeing little sacs on the top of the plant? all my males were showing sacs there before anywhere else.

4. Hard to tell, possibly? I would check out cantharis' thread on sexing.

5. hype and Tiger, thank you so much - I don't want to go pulling any too early!

6. Why the fuck does everybody take pictures and ask sex at the FIRST sign of a preflower? Just wait a few days until you see WHITE HAIRS OR GREEN BANANAS. Little tiny hair things and little tiny balls don't indicate sex. Just wait and use your judgement. It's not too difficult to pick out a white hair from a green banana.

7. its a female all thow still a little early but def a female

8. I see nothing that makes me think thats male but it COULD be too early to tell. possibly. i see nothing that makes me positive its female eiter though.

lookin' good so far!

9. its gotta be a female :) either that or it could also turn into a hermie, still to early to tell :p

10. fuck fuck fuckin fuck. settle down now eh?

11. Gardener - I've been crawing all over all the info (including sexing) I can find, and your posts and pictures are really helpful - thank you! Who knew plant sex could be so much fun!

Retaardvark, woah there fella. As annoying and frustrating as you might find these queries, as a long-time toker, first-time grower, this is exciting stuff! As your wise and very clear advise suggests I shall of couse wait until the hairs or bananas are much more obvious. Any change in a newby's first grow is going to big news to them - you can't blame me for wanting a bit of support from like-minded and far more experienced individuals.

I've read and reread the stickies and poured over the Cannabis Grow Bible and other than the sheer volume of information which is available, the thing that struck me is that no two set-ups or even plants are really the same - hence the desire by new growers for confirmation, affirmation, or even just a "hey, looking good!" (thanks iliketosmokepot - much appreciated!).

Cheers everyone! We'll hang in there and I'll post an update when the babies are more developed.

Ta-ta for now :D