I think, therefore I am

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ninja20p, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Not multiple brains...separate neural patterns, that function quite autonomously, within a single brain. Each of these patterns, neural networks, are their own personality, their own identity. 'You' are not just one personality. You have many many, you just have a belief-system where you are just one identity, and you attach to one of those patterned networks, say that is who you 'are,' and repress and project the rest, which are equally 'you,' or equally legitimate identities you have created in your own brain.

2. This doesn't do anything to disprove descartes theory.

The totality of those neuro-pathways give birth to the thought "I exist". There must be something to give birth to that thought. Even if that something is not what we think it is, it still is something.

If you subscribe to the theory that everything is all one that still doesn't change the fact that "one" exists. Seeing as whatever is giving birth to the thought "I exist" is part of this "one", it must exist as well.

3. Yeah...the brain activity that occurs creates the sensation of being a singular, whole entity. Both the organism and the state of mind (of being a singular self) exist.

4. Cogito ergo sum speaks for itself - It doesn't presuppose an "I", the "I" is derived from the fact that thoughts are processed. If I am thinking then there must be an I (there must also be thought, it's the recognition of thought that leads to the recognition of the you or I that is recognizing the thought) - Descartes held this as the only truly knowable truth of existence (people feel free to correct me there) - that "I" exist and that the world external to the mind is inherently untestable and cannot be proven to exist. You can label the "I" however you wish, perhaps it's a poor translation of perhaps it's poorly phrased but the "I" refers strictly to whatever is recognizing the thoughts - even if the thought is an integral part of the "I". It's an interesting topic but solipsism isn't really something worth devoting a lot of thinking time to. You cannot doubt your existence unless you exist.

That's another topic entirely - though Descartes' "proof of God" is so laughable you'd first think it was satire.

You doubt the existence of individual consciousness?
    You are not me, I am not you. Is there a reason to conclude otherwise?

You seem to be taking an intriguing approach from the rejection of vitalism here (don't get me wrong, I agree that vitalism is pure speculation) - but it's these neurons and senses and chemicals that produce consciousness. Our understanding of the universe shows that these things are what produce us as individuals.

5. #65 TheJourney, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    That post wasn't intended to disprove descartes theory...I was making a specific point...sorry if it didn't directly respond to OP...just seemed relevant to the overall theme of the conversation...

6. #66 Old School Smoker, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012

I um think um that um I um......oh shit I forgot what the fuck I was gonna say hahahahahahah Oh fuck I'm so baked right now.

Ok, let me try that again: I um think that um I uh.......goddam kryptonite is kicken my ass right now hahahahahaha

Ok take 3: I um think that um i uh.......California indica!!....Oh shit thats not what I wanted to say dam im faded hahahahahahaha

ok last try: I think I am, therefore i am, i think. of course you are my bright little star we have miles and miles of files. Pretty files of your forefather's fruit. And now you suit our great computer!!!

You're magnetic ink.

7. This dosen't prove you exist, it only proves that you exist as a consciousness, a thinking matter.

8. nuff said

9. < /thread >

10. #70 707 Headband, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    I think there for I am is an incorrect statement. You are equating thinking with being; the conciousness that says "I am" is not the conciousness that thinks. When you are aware that you are thinking, the awareness is not part of thinking. It is a different demension of conciousness, and it is that awareness that says "I am." if there were nothing but thought in you, you wouldn't even know you were thinking. You would be like a dreamer who dosn't know he is dreaming.

11. Thank you for staying to discuss your enlightenness on this subject. I feel almost every poster (save a few, they now who they are) is missing the entire point of the thread.

It's impossible to know you exist in the real reality, there are many reasons that this is true. Most everyone posts saying "Well there is something to exist to question it's existence". Sure, but you can't stop there. How in the entire realm of consciousness would you know that is 'existence' how do you not realize that it's not what is existing, it is a projection of something else that exists.

Imagine I say a Unicorn exists. It now does, in your imagination from reading these words of mine. It doesn't exist in the now. It is somewhere else, but is that how we define existence, or isn't it?

This subject is too big to just write off based on some bias thought of yours. Oh that Ninja20p, he so cray. Of course I exist, I am right here thinking these thoughts.

But -are you really- :smoke:

12. Are you saying i can't know that my thoughts are what they appear to be? That is, a state of mind occurring by brain activity from this entity (me), an entity that exists as one among billions of similar beings on earth? Are you suggesting that all "I" can know is that "I" am experiencing thoughts? ("I" being these thoughts, and only these thoughts).

If so, then okay. I don't see how i could distinguish this phenomenon from reality existing as i believe it to be (that im a human living on earth etc). But yeah...like there's no way to verify this so ill just continue to live believing i exist as a human...because i want to.

13. You do not have to believe it at all, only believe what reality you perceive. ;)

You know what your thoughts because you are identified with them. You exist with all. We are all inner connected and one with life and itself. Ever complete a sentence for someone? Ever think of something that the other was thinking? Have you ever done something for someone with them intentionally doing it anyways?When you see a person what do you see? Well of course it's obvious, you see them. But the outer exterior and it itself only. Try looking in on the inside. but what is underneath? Something that is more than this "I" you label as. If you have ever herd of the "ego" then pay more attention to it. Do you have habitual mind patterns? Thoughts that just come and go, and never seem to out grow? Do you listen that voice in your head that speaks and decides things that you do? Like so, you do not have to believe this but anything is possible in this world. We are on a living rock that floats in a vast universe with a never ending expanding plateau. Like the human beings we are, we are nothing but critters in a cage. Take my words nothing for what they are but a mere grain of salt.

14. We have no idea where these "thoughts" come from, just as we do not know if there are other intelligent life forms.

15. I think we are probably all connected but what you are saying (in bold) could only be attributed to the fact that even though we are all relatively different our brain is pretty similar and the connections are happening the same way (or almost the same way) in everyone's brain more especially when you are speaking to someone since you kind of "sync" with him. Thats why people usually laugh at the same time or even are happy at the same time when there's a really strong connection. I don't remember the real terms I learned in psychology but I remember that it has to do with your brain wave being on the same level as the other.

16. But we are just not our brains, we are more. The mind is not you.

17. Well I don't think humans are really different from other living things on earth except that our brain is much more developped which allows us to understand that we are living and gives us a sense of consciousness at the same time. But maybe I misunderstood what you said haha.

18. He meant that by questioning his existence he proved it, there has to be something that's doing the questioning. So he thinks therefore he is

19. It often seems amazing that from all these different sparks of organic electricity we get the ability to think. Each spark is a self-contained life in itself, but somehow, together they form a being.

Consciousness isn't a specific area of the brain. It's the sum total of it's parts. Memory, language, sight, and learning are all a vital part of the understanding of self, but they are each totally reliant on (separate) physical structures in the brain. From thinking springs awareness, because certain physical structures are necessary to form a mind which is aware of itself.

20. #80 chronicchthonic, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
    when people claim to be solely brains and neuron firings and synapses, they are simply shirking their moral and spiritual duty to the world. they want to justify their evil and corrupt deeds and explain away their inability to act out critical emotional relationships properly. we all have a moral compass within and a consciousness to mull it, but when we claim 'science and animals', when it comes to the spirit/being, we are only pretending we don't have either so your 'brain' will stop keeping you awake at nights...

prior to responding in a heated manner could you

1. rate your relationship with your parents/immediate family on a scale of 1-10?
    2. state your 'religious' leanings?
    3. honestly look someone you truly cared about in the eye and tell them you are content and happy?