I think someone killed my plants with PH Down while I was away.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cyanidecotdpnut, Aug 7, 2015.

1. #1 cyanidecotdpnut, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
    Title says it all. Sounds crazy? If you like a good Scooby-Doo mystery then let me explain...This all happened today. Read the whole thing before you comment and please just tell me it's me being paranoid and I fucked something up myself. I reallllyyy don't want to play with the idea that someone has been going in and out of my rooms when I am away.

So my disclaimer I guess is that these rooms are on a ranch property, so it could be any number of people including the owner's ex growing partner, one of the laborers, the owner's step-mom (since I ran into her trying to show someone the plants) etc. Not my property so I don't have the key I just take care of the garden while the property owner is away on vacation.

So I have 2 rooms, a separate veg room and a separate flower room. I had 1 plant in flower and maybe 20 or so in veg. I last watered them this morning around 10 AM just as normal and theyre looking great as usual. When I came back around 9PM, I went to check on the flowering plant and it was straight dead. the drip tray that it was sitting in disintegrated in my hands (cheap plastic) and smelled awful, kind of like root rot. So I decided to pull it since I mainly had it down there to determine sex anyways, and sure enough the roots are brown, mushy, smell like shit.

At first I thought I watered too much but I hadn't watered the flowering plant all day. Then I went to check on the veg room, and that's when alarm bells started going off in my head. I don't have good exhaust for the veg room so I always leave the door cracked about 5-10 inches. When I came back at 9PM, this door was closed -- all the way. I did not do this. When I opened the door, horror was in front of me -- at least 5 plants in various stages were deader than ever, same smell too. Here is a picture of two of the main plants in question
    20150731_204056.jpg
    First picture: 10AM
    20150806_205324.jpg
    Second picture: 9PM
    20150806_205327.jpg
    Third picture: 9PM

I then noticed that some liquid was pooled on top of the plastic covers I have on the plants. This liquid was only the covers of the dying plants, all other plants in the garden that did not have liquid on it are doing just fine. At first I thought it was a faulty hydro system, but I also have 2 plants that I have been hand watering in soil that also had massive pooling of this liquid on top of the plastic cover. The liquid is colorless and odorless, but slightly slimy or sticky (?) to the touch. Here is a picture of one of the plants that looks like this liquid was spattered or sprayed on top of the plastic, with a comparison shot of the plant before and after I came back today.
    20150806_205317.jpg

I decided to check the PH in the reservoir. 10AM this morning it was 5.9 and 9PM this evening it 2!! There is nothing I can think of that can change PH that much, that fast, other than PH Down. So I pulled the dying plants, cleaned out the res, sterilized, and mixed up fresh nutrients. Went to go adjust the PH, and for some reason it takes almost 5x the normal amount of Ph Down I usually use, almost as if the solution had been diluted with water. I triple checked my meter to make sure it was functioning right. None of it adds up -- the sudden explosive PH drop, the strange discoloration on the stems in under 8 hours, my Ph down not working like normal, the door being closed, and the kicker -- the massive amount of liquid pooled on top of the plastic covers.

Here's what I think -- whoever went up there, saw that I keep my bottle of PH Down up there, and whatever their intent was, literally poured it as fast as they could without getting caught then refilled the bottle of PH Down with water to make a diluted solution. Is this an unrealistic idea? I keep telling myself it was me being dumb but doors just don't close by themselves and the humidity would have to be 100% to get condensation and even then that liquid pooled on there is not water. SO WHAT IS GOING ON?

2. scrap the grow and move away... if someone broke in before theyll do it again, your not crazy but your not thinking at all... not tryin to be mean tho. i would get out of that living situation fast it sounds fucked... you should find a place to do outdoor grows or something in the meantime... and get security cams and shit

3. No no, I don't live there. The person I own the garden with does but he is on vacation so I go over x2 a day to take care of things. Honestly, I was hoping someone would be able to shine some light on this as a freak accident but it's no accident if I'm seeing selective death amongst plants in BOTH rooms under different conditions with the same kind of liquid pooled all over the place. The only person I can honestly say I think it is is the guy's step-mom. She has been going into the ranch house and I literally ran into her upstairs by the veg room before when she was TELLING SOME RANDOM GUY SHE WAS WITH ABOUT WHAT I WAS DOING AND SHOWING HIM. SHE DOES NOT LIVE IN THE HOUSE. Obviously that is a huge security breach, but why only kill SOME of the plants then? If someone was malicious, wouldn't they get more satisfaction just robbing me? This seems like intentional sabotage to me, but why? There is literally no motivation to do so unless someone was jealous?

4. my bad didnt read it very well i was half asleep lol but damn dude what do you expect?

first you guys let that hoe in the room in the first place and second you left the freakin door open bro i mean come on what do you expect man...

i honestly wouldnt think someone would do some wierd shit like that unless they had personal beef with you or your friend... the step mom cant rob your friend cuz where would she put the shit

thats all i can think of really

get proper ventalation and move your grow, build an underground cab out of an old rv and vent it up out of the ground or something if you need to thatd be sick lol

but on some real shit keep the door locked next time, definitely move the grow spot though

5. I am currently living on proporty that will not allow marijuana growing. I tried it once and somebody pulled the plants. Now I grow at a trusted friends house who grows thier own. Good luck to you.

6. how did they find your plants if you dont mind me asking??^^

7. The guy's step mom has a key that his dad gave to her so it doesn't matter if I lock up (which I do). And you're right, if it was someone outside of the property they most definitely would have robbed me and not tried to kill the plants because they were bushy monsters as you can see from the "before" picture. Not to mention all the equipment. My thought this whole time is that yes, it is personal. But I don't know the guy's step mom and I don't know his relationship with her because that was the first time I had met her that night lol. Plus she was with some guy who definitely was not related to her. He seemed to know something about growing too. And then there's always my friends ex-partner, who works on the property but doesn't have a key.

She knows about the plants in the first place because the dude's cousin smoked with us and blabbed to a lot of his family about it.

An update, I went in today to look at the plants, and aside from the ph only being slightly lower than usual (nothing like yesterday) the remaining plants all look fine. This includes ~10 clones ranging from 1-2 weeks, and 6 plants that are 5 weeks+
    But one of these (one that had the liquid pooled on it) is now exhibiting this behavior on almost all leaves on one of the mature plants:

20150807_101549.jpg
    20150807_101606.jpg
    20150807_101511.jpg

8. Give up growing weed, and become a detective

9. And maybe you should give up too to become a comedian. [​IMG]

10. whoever it was knew that ph down would kill them, so they at least know something about plants... see what happens when people find out though? now you dont kno who the fuck it could be.

The best thing you can do is finish this grow and move it somewhere else... if you refuse to move it then put a padlock on it that no one can open except you and your buddy... if i were him id tell both of the hoes to fuck off, the fuck is his dad doing giving the step hoe a key? lol whatever..

set up a decoy plant outside and put a hunting cam next to it.... put some vinegar next to it off to the side and see if anyone tries to kill it with the vinegar....

if you wanna find out who it is then thats the only way unless you want to question people and try to catch someone inna lie.

doesnt matter now anyway tgough just prep better next time mnigga