I think my seedling overheated?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Fight2Survive, Dec 8, 2016.

1. I started my girls under a fluorescent for the first day or two because my hoods hadn't arrived, they came in today so I set up my 2x600s. I'm only using one of them and with a MH bulb. I've been checking it every hour to watch temperature and stuff. My digital gauge says the temp is a groovy 79F, but my soil felt a tad overly warm to the touch.

Now I have a lot of stretch in the seedlings, so I was trying to keep them closer to the light, but I think the MH bulb is just too warm, regardless of the tent temp.

Thoughts? Constructive criticism only, please.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. that is way too close.

Seedlings (at this point) don't need alot of light, they use their own energy to get a root system started, when the first pre-leaves completely open, only THEN you can give them that much light

• Like Like x 1
  3. also for seedling humidity is best around 70, I put ziploc bags over each of my pots to act like a dome, with a seedling heating mat under them. They like heat and humidity when just out of the shell

• Like Like x 1
  4. Put a fan on them , nothing around them but hot air around them . As they grow add more soil around the stems , keep watered

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tape the cups too or put the clear cup in a solid colored cup

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks guys, I'll get right on it!

7. They have two fans on them, one stationary and one oscillating.

Should I put more fans in?

8. Bumped it down another few inches. Do I need to put them on the ground?[​IMG]

Thanks so much to everyone and this awesome insight!

9. It would be better if the plants were above the cup rim

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ah, I see. They're young enough that I feel confident I can gently scoop them out and add more dirt beneath. Any thoughts on that before I dive it?

11. Or should I just let them keep going and keep burying the stem as they grow?