i think i need to go hunting.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BlazeLE, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ive been tossing around the idea of going vegan or at least vegetarian for a while now but i cant quite bring myself to do it (mostly because i will starve to death because i have no idea how to sustain myself without meat). there are times now where i dont even want to eat meat but i still do most of the time (once again because i dont know what else to eat...).

anyway i was thinking i (and every human being) need to go hunting at least once because there is such a huge disconnect between us and our food. my logic is if i cant kill and prepare an animal myself why should be able to go down the street and buy as much meat as my stomach desires? i really get the feeling i wouldnt be able to shoot an animal, im pretty sure i would have the animal in my sights and i just couldnt pull the trigger. now with that said i do believe that if i was in a position where i could sneak up on an animal and fight it with a knife i could actually kill. i just dont think i could kill an animal without it having a chance to preserve its life.

however if i could get the kill, skin it, and chop it up i think i would have earned the ability to go buy meat at the store. but at the same time eating meat from an animal that has had no human interference in its natural growth might make me want to not eat the meat at the stores...

any thoughts or opinions on the matter?

2. Reading the words "starve to death" is practically laughable here. C'mon now, not all vegetarian/vegan diets are tofu and other "weird" foods. You probably ate a peanut butter sandwich as a kid. Perfectly acceptable as an adult too. It's not hard to survive without meat, and much like finding information here, there's a ton of information online to figure out how to eat well.

Honestly, sounds like you've got some ethical conflicts you're still dealing with here, so not sure if hunting is the right choice for you. Yet another reason to try a vegetarian/vegan diet. No real need to put yourself in that position, but if you really wanted to be a purist about it, there would be no advanced weapons used.

OK, not sure how going out hunting one time somehow justifies a lifetime ticket to the all-you-can-shop store buffet. Can you perhaps elaborate your reasoning there?

As far as finding those "pure" animals, we humans have poisoned this planet several times over in many ways. It's doubtful you'll find any living creature left truly untainted.

3. I've hunted a lot, and it's not really that easy to sneak up on an animal and make a kill, even with a bow or gun.

Also would be difficult to actually kill enough wild meat to sustain a person, it would be like a full time job.

I get your feeling tho, give it a go and see what happens.....good hunting...

4. Get a can of chili or like chef boyardee and empty it under a tree in the woods. Climb the tree and lay in wait with just a rock or stick. The brutality might steer you away from meat. Or your inner beast might arise and ive helped create a psycho.. :hide:

5. FUCKKKKKKK I wand some chef boyardee

6. i dont mean literally but what i mean is i have no idea how to prepare a meal without meat. but thats the way we've been raised. and i find it difficult to find resources that showcase food that i could afford to eat daily. i found plenty of dishes that look amazing that dont include meat but i dont really find anything for a typical wednesday night. i also have a very hard time retaining information from the internet, i really only absorb knowledge when i experience it first hand and i dont know any vegans or vegetarians unfortunately.

its is very much so an ethical (also health) issue to me when it comes to meat. but i would like the experience of hunting, even if in the end it just ends up being a camping trip with a gun.

to prove to myself that im actually worthy of eating meat. and like ive said i already want to move to at the very least a plant based diet with little meat. but like ive said earlier i dont know how to do that. i grew up very poor where hamburger/chicken helper was a regular meal. ive just recently finally been able to start learning how to cook and making some of my own food (dropped nearly 60lbs since december because of it too). id like the next step to be moving away from meat but at the same time i dont want to give it up entirely unless i simply am unable to do the deed myself.

where i live i couldnt hunt to sustain life but the whole point was to prove to myself that im actually worthy of eating meat. most people dont really understand that the meat they buy at the store came from a living creature and they sure as hell dont respect that fact. but how can they when all the meat they've ever eaten came wrapped in plastic on a styrofoam tray. i mean they know it comes from an animal but they dont really know if you catch my drift.

7. well if i was in a situation where i was fighting an animal i would have no issue killing it because at that point its also self defense. i would use a knife though because most animals are well more equipped for survival than i would be for hunting.

8. #8 kidwithweed, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013

My sister once read a book. It was an old native american book i dont know exactly what about but in this book it said if a grateful soul kills and eats an animal you are acting sort of as a purgatory for this animals soul, with it you will grow and take knowledge, and as you do the animals soul can pass. Be grateful for your food. If you are trying to eat less meat or cut it out Beans and Quinoa are your friends.

9. Just make sure you don't Cheney

10. took me a second

11. I get what your saying OP, I've thought the same thing before.

But it was a different time back then when people HAD to kill, skin and preserve their own meat in order to survive, they didn't have much of a choice. I do think if killing an animal was the only way I could feed my family though, I'd kill a lot of animals..

It' a different world now though..we can even get our meat delivered straight to our front door if we want. Also were much more educated in respect to getting protein from other sources other than meat.

Your post kinda reminds of that bit in that film 'Into the Wild' if you've seen it... he kills the animal but soon finds that was the easy part. Actually knowing how to prepare and preserve it is the hard part. I doubt people thought twice about killing a few rabbit or deer in the old days..it was the next step that would get them thinking:smoke:

12. Going veg is simple stop considering all these what if's and unlikely scenarios. Google is a powerful tool for finding simple and affordable recipes to cook every single day. Take the time to buy the right foods, read the directions and play around with it. Cooking is fun and eating other foods that contain more nutrients and ideal amounts of protein is great for your body.

Good luck.

13. Hunting isn't how you think. "Doesn't take a tough guy to pull a trigger" is very true. don't expect to have some Pocahontas moment with the deer while you have your crosshairs on his chest. Squeeze the trigger and eat some venison. Easy as that. Only type I ever felt bad hunting was when I missed the deers lungs and it flopped around for a while before I could put it down.

14. If you do hit a lung, wouldn't it just stop breathing and basically suffocate?

15. I've always thought you're supposed to hit it in the heart.

16. Heart...lungs....kidney....liver....all quick kill shots.....

Honestly the best part of eating wild game ....for me....is harvesting the meat....

Something about the smells and the feel of the warm flesh.....

Venison is amazing....
    Today i had my first rabbit.....
    they are out of season but i saw one in the am yesterday.....and in the afternoon my friends dog caught one....it was done for anyway...so i snapped its neck and then cleaned and carved it last night....
    I could smell the blood all day today.....

Ate it for lunch today....not as good as venison....but definitely good eating.....

Turkey season starts soon.....

Hunting....always makes me think of how disconnected humans are from the process of getting meat to the table....
    Also reminds me how we don't "need" supermarkets....
    how the universe takes care of itself....

17. hahahaha

18. I decided to go vegan a couple of months ago. Like you, I wasn't quite sure where to start, so I made a goal: Become completely vegan by my next birthday (then 5 months away). Until then, I try to look up and make a vegan recipe every week and stay as vegan as possible. This way, when my birthday comes around, I'll have had ample time to get together a nice stack of recipes to go off of. This also gives me time to see what restaurants in my area have vegan options without feeling too bad if I cheat once in a while. (I was surprised at how many places will accommodate vegans but don't advertise it.)

I strongly suggest at least giving it a try. It seems like you are thinking about it less for your health, and more because you are sympathetic to animals? If so, good for you. Not too many people (especially guys for some reason) will stand up for animals. It seems weird or silly to most people. Good luck with your decision!