I think I may have over watered PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by CodisG, Apr 11, 2013.

1. I'm trying my first grow and my girl is looking a little droopy I figured I over watered her seeing how all the pictures I have seen are kinda lining up with the way my poor little plant is going so I stopped watering up until I transplanted her into a new pot because the pot I had before was pretty small and I figured it was doing me no justice either. but the down fall I had was I repotted into coco witch I had to wet to expand so that didn't help. haha I just kinda need an opinion from some people who know what there doing because im getting pretty stumped

im going stop watering again and hopefully she pulls threw id just like to know what the rest of the world thinks about my little problem here

wilfred.jpg

2. You plant is already showing sighs of Mn deficit which is common for plants in Coco if PH is skewed. If you stay in Coco you should Test your run-off PH with each watering and maintain a 5.8 PH with is hard to do since PH will always build in Coco. Plants in Coco will also express an iron deficit if PH gets to seven.

3. Thanks I will get that checked as soon as I can. Im not sure if the guy At my local hydro store was just talking about soil but he said with the tap water around here everything should be ok with the ph levels but I will still test it and correct it if there is any correction needed. so hopefully I can get this fixed soon

4. Well a couple days without water and she's looking better I'm kinda concerned about the brown spots on the leaves is it normal for this to happen with over watering I moved my lights farther away so it wouldn't get burnt whole I was drying it out. I went from the recommended 2" away to about 6" but this is how she's lookin now

image-3352452787.jpg

5. It looks like Mn, you need to keep the PH at 5.8 if you can. Measure the PH run-off and make sure it running out at 5.8.

6. Yeah I'm gonna do that right away I just picked up a ph tester and some up and down. I didn't rule that out I just had to get some supply's

7. One of the best ways to help a young plant that expressing Mn is to foliage feed with half strength nutes that have chelated Mn in the formula. Wouldn't hurt to spray it several times the first day, then spray with plain water the next (only once or twice to wash off the nutes), then observe the plant and see how it responds... after your PH is corrected, of course.

8. So I have now determined that the ph was way to high I got my self a nice digital meter so I know exactly what I'm at but I don't really know what I'm doing with this pH thing I have corrected the water to the right pH so if I water with the new water it will bring my soil ph down to that level right

9. I experimented with Coco for a while and came away with a thumbs down approach to that particular Substrate. Word is you can use it up to three times, but with my second attempt to grow with Coco I found that the PH would build to 7 and the only way I could get it down at this particular time was PH going in at 3, believe it or not, and that was in 4 inch pots. The only thing I like about it was the massive root system you could grow. What size pot is it in? In the mean time I'll run back to your initial post and see if you already answered that.

10. I had it in a 5" pot up till a few days ago now I transplanted it into a 10" pot or 1.58 gallon or where I'm from haha 5.8 liter pot. But my run off is coming out at 7.6 or right around there so I got my ph with a nute mix down to a 5.8 I was hoping I didn't half to bring it down below that and hope for the best for my run off haha I really like the coco idea but if it stays this ridiculous I will go back to soil but I just don't want to give up on my baby this far in haha I started a few more plants one in coco and another in soil and I'm already seeing yellowing on the leaves with the coco one but the soil one is doing great witch is kinda making up my mind about what way I want to continue my first little grow career but then again of this get going and becomes a little bit less of a pain I won't mind adding a few drops of ph down every time

11. Sounds like a plan. I'm a dirt man myself, old fashioned and getting a bit lazy in my old age... so I'm like water, I take the least path of resistance with my time and money and feel I would have less issues with dirt than anything else. I make my own formula.

12. So I have a bag of soil kickin around with a 0.07-0.01-0.03 is that al alright soil to work with it what should I be looking for

13. You could use it for plants that have a month of growth, but if you used it for seedlings or germination you might want to err on the side of caution and flush it with properly PH'd water. What kind of soil does it say on the bag?

14. It's a Scott's potting mix

image-3277844740.jpg

15. And this is my same sprout day coco and soil mix the one on the left is soil and the right coco

image-1367548522.jpg

16. Any kind of mix will be like Coco, you'll have to keep your PH around 5.8 run-off.

17. yeah I just don't know if a soil with that low of a npk is good to grow in or what because the plant that started this whole conversation I started in that soil I didn't realize the pH thing at the start but im just not sure what if I should get a new soil

18. Maybe you could do like I do. I go to the woods and get about 15 gallons of good soil that PH's at 6.6... I pull back the leaves and get the good soil with years of decayed matter. Then I get some MG organic soil (the kind you mix in your topsoil outside) with a bag of Peat, and generous amounts of perlite for aireration of the roots, works well for me.

19. That's a great idea next time I get out on a camping trip ill be sure to remember that one hopefully I can find some good soil

20. MG & Scotts soils contain composted human sewage VIA waste treatment plants.

they are headquartered in Marysville, Ohio....so you may even be getting some composted sewage from some of my buddies around ohio state in columbus (from a columbus wastewater treatment facility).

either way, its something i wouldnt want to mix with any type of consumable crop at all. i agree that composted human sewage has to go somewhere (and not as a filler & ground cover after a mountaintop removal mine has come through an area)....but not in our consumable crops. like the idea, but i absolutely despise the miracle gro/scotts/monsanto company. those fuckers.