i think i got a little bit carried away.....

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by thelastkennedy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. so i went out and bought a 4' x 8' tent with 2 1000w and a 6" in-line and didnt even think about it overheating... can i get away with this???

a quick search for 2 1000w 4' 8' didnt gimme a quick answer, sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times.....

2. isnt the rule of thumb 100w/ sq ft....looks like you have 32 sq ft......meaning about 320 watts to be safe-ish and get good growth,......maybe 500w for better results.....but this is coming from a first time grower.....

some one let me know if im off base

3. as long as the room the tent is in is pretty cool (70-76) then you should be ok. Its definitely gonna be a bit warmer inside the tent, make sure to have at least one oscillating fan on each of your lights. But you should be excited, i'm growing in a 4 x 8 space myself and only have 2 600W'ers. It isn't quite enough light to go edge to edge with dense buds, but i can easily grow 16 plants a harvest and thats more than i need. good luck

4. so you're saying that as long as i can keep enough air circulating from outside the tent, i should be good?? you mentioned an oscilating fan... will a 6" inline on each light be cool? i'm ready to get whatever i need to make it badass, even run additional ducts, but i'd like to be running both lights:cool:

5. If you want to do a 6" exhaust fan for each light, then that will definitely keep enough air flowing out of the tent to keep the temperature from the lights down. It won't however lower the ambient air temperature of the room or the tent, which should be one of your main concerns. It is going to be very difficult for you to grow as successfuly as you want without some form of air conditioning in the room. I know at home depot right now they have 9000 BTU LG air conditioner for $300. Your other concern will be humidity. The humidity inside your grow tent is going to be 10% higher than it is outside the tent, so you are going to want to invest in a dehumidifier as well (SOOOO many problems are a direct result of improper humidity levels.)

So if I were you heres what i think i would do -

Either run (1) 10" exhaust fan through both 1000W lights or have a dedicated 6" exhaust fan for each one. If you choose to go with the 1 10", then your gonna have to run this fan 24/7. if you go with the two 6" fans, you can run both of these fans during the light hours, and only run one during the dark hours.

Pick up a portable A/C from home depot - $300.

Pick up a dehumidifier off Craigslist or Target.com - $100 - $150

Pick up a couple oscillating stand fans from home depot or target or walmart ($50 total)

This $500 investment will make sure that you have a strong, healthy harvest. You will be able to easily regulate temps and humidity with an A/C and a dehumidifier. Good luck!

6. re-routing the a/c is a must. I stole mine from the neighboring bathroom no one uses.. only issue is that it turns on and off as my house reaches desired temps. so maybe that $300 LG cooler is the way to go..

7. Cool Tube's ftw as well.

8. They have the portable ac units that have a dehumidify feature on them. So you will only need one unit. Not to mention a dehumidifer by it self will just add more heat to your room. Worth looking into... Of course this is all an opinion.

9. i just want to subscribe this thread as there is some pretty useful information

10. Also, i don't know exactly how many plants your trying to grow, but with this setup you could easily do 12 plants per light, or even 16 plants per light if you have the room to move the plants around. But if i were you, i would stick with no more than 12 plants per light, so as to allow for FULL growth. I made the wrong decision of packing my plants too close together the first time, under a scrog, and its going to cost me probably half of my yeild due to mildew buildup / necessary removal of branches and buds that were crowded too close together. Now instead of 9 plants i'm only doing 6, and already things are looking up. Sometimes less is more!

Oh and you gotta start a grow journal, i would love follow along to see how things turn out. good luck

11. alright so far i'm lookin at running 2x6" inlines and having an air conditioner/dehumidifier unit in the room:D

as for plants, im thinkin that i'll keep it at 6-12 as i'm a legal cardholder here in ca and dont wanna rock the boat.... i figure that if you're gonna try and push the limits on anything, it should be the power rather than the # of plants, since you're only gonna yield so much per watt... right:confused_2:

12. if your only doing 6 - 12 you'll be good just using one of your 1000W'ers

13. You could just do 6 under each light. Put them in 5 to 7 gallon buckets, and super crop them. I do 10 under a 1000 watt in 4 gallon buckets. Usually get right around 2 to 2.5 zippers a plant sometimes 3. And I crop them as well. Just a thought you will have less crowding less chance of mold between the buds. They should get fat in those big pots. A lot of these genetics today out side can produce in excess of 500 g a plant outside in the right conditions. So my thought is less plants more light per plant more weight per plant. No need to over crowd. 10 is almost pushing it IMO speaking from experience. Without jockeying the plants around everyday. And moving them can be precarious. You risk damaging your plants every time you move them.

14. man great thread, suscribed, lets see some pics when you get it setup