Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I think I am addicted. Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ThoughtHammer, Apr 29, 2011.

1. I've started smoking for around a month now.

I've listened to a lot of smokers and I'm convinced weed is obviously not as scary of a "gateway" drug than people make it seem. Regardless, I find myself using more weed and more frequently (I might've just built a tolerance since i smoke everyday). It's not a typical urge like sex or hard drugs, but I still tell myself "I want to get high".

As a newbie, I really don't know what the reality of the situation is anymore. I feel like I lost bearing on whether this really is an addiction or if it's just my excitement of experimenting with drugs for the first time.

Feedback of personal experience and opinions of the matter would be appreciated a lot!

2. your not addicted. your excited coz its new for you, eventually youll get over it and build a bad ass tolerance. trust me :)

3. Personal experience: Smoke a lot when I first started. Took a day off and realised that it really isn't that mentally addictive - Go out with friends, have some beers, play some games. It's cool. You kind of forget about weed and then a couple of days later it's like a gift.

Just stop for a day or two, and see how you feel then. :smoke:

4. Weed is not physically addicting, but you can get mentally addicted to the sensation of being high. It can sort of play on your emotions a bit if you're not careful. Try to take a couple days off from smoking and clear your head, if you are able to do that with minimal effort then you should be fine.

5. If you think you are addicted, just slow down. It is possible to become dependent on weed no matter what this forum will lead you to believe.

6. Only thing Ive come across that has made me ask myself if im addicted in the past is my sleep issues....

For a long while I swore I couldnt sleep well because I had gotten so used to falling asleep as my buzz wore off over the years. I love how easy it is to go to sleep.

But after I couldnt smoke for a while i was reminded that I had sleep issues BEFORE smoking and thats what made me go for the daily toker thing.

On a side note tho, even tho Im not "addicted", I dont have any right now and very very very much want some. But I attribute that to everyone around here being at work/school, not being able to drive, and having issues with the woman (ive always loved it as a stress reliever too).

7. Weed isn't really addictive to me....more habitual. But it's EXTREMELY habitual

But if you need to stop you aren't going to have any physical withdrawals. Might have trouble sleeping or eating for a few days but it's honestly not hard at all to stop.

8. Kid gets a new toy, kid is super excited about new toy.

Kid plays with new toy all the time

New toy stops being new after a while

Kid stops playing with toy as much.

No, your are not addicted.

9. The only way to know whether or not you have any kind of dependence to anything, be it hard drugs or just something like coffee, is to stop using it and see if you have any withdrawal symptoms (although obviously with harder drugs the addiction is often very obvious). Studies done that I've seen on cannabis' addictive properties suggest that physically it is very minimally addictive and that any addiction would be a mental one rather than physical.

However that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get addicted. Some people are addicted to shopping, which has no physical addiction involved in it. Also I know personally I went through a stage of smoking heavily daily for several months and when I stopped I couldn't sleep properly for a couple of days and I was slightly irritable.

So if you really want an answer the only way is to stop and see what happens. Worrying about it is not good, you shouldn't worry man. After all, we blaze up trees to forget worries, not enhance them.:D

10. You a gang member?

11. You're fine weed is a very exciting thing when you first get into it. It IS mentally addicting for some people but mental addictions arn't hard to overcome. There is no physical addiction what-so-ever so if you want to stop smoking it's literally as simple as just not doing it.

12. Hahah dude.. just be happy your not addicted to opiates. THATS physically addicting

13. Heh, I like that way of putting it.

I have found that weed makes that boring toy fun again tho sooooo.... what would effect weed how weed effects other things? All I can think of is upgrading from crap or mids to dank.

14. You're only 'addicted' (techinically its a psychological addiction or 'dependency') when its interfering with your work, education or social life. If its not, keep blazing bro.

15. lol @ one month - and thinks he is addicted.

That was funny shit. :laughing:

16. This. Just give it time and you will quit thinking that way.

17. If you have to even question if you are addicted. Guess what, nine times out of ten you are.

18. Just don't smoke for a while man...on a T-break this weekend. It's not even hard dude, going to a movie with friends (sober) in a bit. Just proves you dont need to smoke to be happy :hello:

19. See, I have the exact same mind set, but what worried me about that though is that in most cases of addictions, addicts will think "I'm not addicted, it's just habitual" or "I have the ability to stop whenever I want. I just don't want to at the moment." or "I'll stop using it after this week." (which I never followed through with so far)

If I were to complete a tolerance break and continue smoking habitually afterward, in my opinion, it still wouldn't prove to me that I'm not addicted though. I'll try it and see if the urge to get high intensifies.

I'll update y'all on the results! Thanks!

20. imagine "new toy" feeling for ev er
    yeah