I talk to myself.

Discussion in 'General' started by Trueblade, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Actually routinely. Anytime I am alone.

I even answer myself. Cause sometimes alone I'll speak questions out loud, think about them, and try to find an answer.

Sometimes, I imagine I'm talking to other people....not because I actually think I am talking to other people, but because 1) I try to predict how they react to what I say and, 2) When they are not around, I try to envision what they WOULD say.

I write a lot. I like to blatantly speak out what I think my characters would say, and their interactions.

Sometimes, just thinking about things, I feel it more helpful to talk to myself.

I know a lot of people do this, but we ALLLLL absolutely hide it, and admittedly, so well that I've maybe only been caught maybe 2-3 times ever, despite having talked to myself thousands of times, since I was like 4 years old.

It's viewed as a "defect" on the society level.....yet more than half of us do this?

Discuss?

2. I have long conversations with myself allot. I think the main reason is that I'm the only one who's answer I would accept.

3. Yeah do notice that. Conversations with yourself never exactly go right if you do have them with the people you were picturing :)

4. Man, this happens to me all the time. I think it's helpful when you need to think a situation over, but at the same time it's a little, if not more, crazy.

5. I talk to myself a lot when I'm high. Make myself laugh quite a bit.

6. Guilty. When I'm baked I talk in different accents when I'm alone too. It's weird.

7. Yeah, that's kinda weird, but kinda funny?

I don't do different accents, admittedly, but I try to say what I think I would say in a given situation, and what other people would respond.

In relation to an earlier post, I'm a funny guy in person, and I do crack myself up sometimes :)

8. lol. perhaps you think out loud.

9. Yeah I do too. Since I've been away at school I've had alot of time alone and think and I've realized that I'll never know another human like I know myself.

10. Ha I talk to myself too.
    Well actually, I do it more in my mind, sometimes
    out loud. :confused:

11. That's essentially exactly what it is.

12. Everyone talks to themselves.

13. It seems like a recurring symptom. Talking to one's self.

And it seems that people like to tell you that they talk to themselves, but they never tell you what they talk about.

I'm not so interested to know if anyone talks to themselves, but I am interested in the topic that they talk to themselves about.

14. Yeah, talking out-loud is the same exact thought process as thinking quietly.

We don't just STOP thinking when we're alone.......just some people sit in quiet corners and think, and others like to say their thoughts, even if no one is around.

15. i might look like i'm not thinking anything but i am talking to myself in racing thoughts 24/7 even when i'm sleeping my dreams will confer with what i was thinking that day and try and solve it

16. Good question sir.

I think a lot of the talking out loud part, is stuff we really want to say in person, but cannot for whatever reason.

That's part of the beauty of talking to one's self. Everyone has shit to say that they will never say....so talking out loud to oneself is kinda the only alternative.

Sometimes, I say shit outloud I would NEVER EVER say to another person, just cause it's so radical, personal, or otherwise would be outlawed :)

But some of it, we do bring into life......on forums like this?

17. This is one of those things that I hope I never become, My uncle, who is an alchoholic gets his drink on every day, after dark. he just sits there and talks to himself, and the other half, talks like some of us are listening, He'd be all like pissed and talk about money we owe him or whatever, but we're far far away, and he'd just continue talking like we were infront of him. It's fucked up and I never wanna be like that. :\

I would keep it in check if I were you.
    just saying.

18. #18 Trueblade, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    Your scenario is a bit weird, and sounds more like schizophrenia than anything else.

There is a HUGE different between an uncle sitting in a chair spazzing out, and someone like myself who does it, but knows what the fuck I'm doing.

That is exactly why it's such a frowned upon practice.

He might be a bit weird, but not everyone who talks to themselves is exactly so.

You say "I hope I never become" like it's a disease. I can understand you never wanting to become your crazy uncle............but to avoid things because someone "odd" does them.....means your just living your life fake.

Most people talk to themselves. Most people masturbate.

Masturbation, use to be believed to lead to eternal hell, and for women...........it was simply unacceptable...............................but now.....if you're a dude who doesn't jerk it.....well you're fucking weird...and if you're a girl who doesn't.........you're on the verge of weird.

19. naw, talking to yourself is fine, as long as that's just that, talking to yourself...
    the thing is, when things elevate, or when you get out of hand with drugs and/or alcohol, i think that's when you don't realize you're talking to yourself.
    don't get me wrong, I talk to myself all the time, mainly because I'm the coolest and smartest person I know, and I know all the right answers to any question... but I can't help but think that doing it too much may become serious, you know ?

like a nietzsche quote goes,
    "If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you."

20. Exactly...

Go ahead. Talk to yourself. Just think that I am you and you are me.

Or if it makes you feel more comfortable, talk to the keyboard. The monitor.

We don't exist. We are nothing but figments of your imagination.

So talk. :smoke: