I sold something on Craigslist, the guy sent me a check for $2,590 instead of $150

Discussion in 'General' started by Tizroo, Oct 24, 2009.

1. #1 Tizroo, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
    Should I be a bad boy or a good boy?

haha.

But What I'm really trying to get at is can he take legal action if I decide to be a bad boy? He's E-Mailed me and informed me of this "mistake" already and is willing to give me an extra $100, I think I am just going to be a good boy and not get myself in any trouble. And actually I just looked at it and it's from "Great Hills Baptist Church" haha, god dammit...

But if I had an extra $2,590, that would solve all my problems of being a broke college kid that barely has enough money to buy his bread and cigarettes

EDIT:

I asked a question on where I would be able to convert this piece of paper into money (I'm giving him the extra cash), and most people said it was a scam and blah blah, but this is a CERTIFIED CHECK, so the funds have been verified, it's not going to bounce.

2. karma dude. dont be a dick, you'll still get an extra hundo

3. I would return it, but I don't think there is any legal action against cashing it and keeping the money because he basically signed a contract saying that you can withdraw that amount of money from his account

4. That sounds like a scam. Do they want you to cash it and send back the overage?

5. I don't know how that craiglists shit works exactly. But if he mailed it to ya I'm assuming he has your address so it may end up pretty bad if you don't follow his orders cause I know I'd fucking flip my shits if this happened to me :confused_2:

6. Either a scam, or he's gonna sue your ass or get you arrested having stolen it.

7. It depends on the circumstances. If he wants you to cash the check and then send the extra money back, don't cash it period. If he wants you to return the check and he'll send you another one, then go for it, as long as you haven't already sent out the merchandise.

If you already sent out the shit, tell him to send you another check, and you'll return the check when you receive the new one, although he could still fuck you that way, but what you can do is call the bank and tell them about it, that this guy sent you a check for the wrong amount, the check number and all that, and your worried he's trying to rip you off, that way he can't call the initial check in and say to void the check after he gets his shit and is supposed to send a new check.

I wouldn't cash it though, you can definitely get legal repercussions for cashing a check worth more than is owed, it'd be the same as charging a credit card for more than the price owed.

8. #8 theagent, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

I agree. definitely a scam. no one's stupid enough to make that kind of mistake. what is it you were selling? also... NEVER accept a check as payment. cash and cash alone!

"Great Hills Baptist Church" is a dead giveaway... you're more inclined to accept a check from a church are you not?

really...this is so transparent.

9. Stolen it?

I'm not going to take the money, but I'm pretty sure if I sent you a check and you cashed it, you didn't steal my money.

10. All he has to do is put a stop payment on the check [​IMG]Not sure why/if he hasn't done so already.

In any case, IMO it still boils down to essentially being theft. If I accidentally hand you a $100 instead of a $20, it doesn't mean you get to keep it, especially if I say "Oops I didn't mean to hand you a hunded." Being broke isn't a legitimate reason to rip someone off. Also, besides all the "karma" shit, think about if you were in his shoes. Would you want some punk kid taking a couple thousand dollars from you just because of an honest mistake? Treat other people as you would like to be treated...

11. Read my edit

12. Yeah but he could probably take you to court having violated some sort of contract between the two of you.

13. This is a really common scam, apparently

Craigslist Overpayment Scam - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV

14. beat me to it tharedhead, was just about to post that.

actually...this... http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

and this...

15. Under federal law, banks have to \t\tmake the funds you deposit available quickly – usually within one to \t\tfive days, depending on the type of check. But just because you can \t\twithdraw the money doesn't mean the check is good, even if it's a \t\tcashier's check. It can take weeks for the forgery to be discovered and \t\tthe check to bounce.

16. scamboat. :smoking:

17. #17 worshiptheherb, Oct 24, 2009
    If this was true all he would have to do is call the bank and cancel the check...

I once lost a blank check for $500 but i contacted the bank straight away and it's all good

18. #18 Dustin A.Stoner, Oct 24, 2009
    all the legal shit aside, i wouldnt do it just for the karma. Last time i was at my headshop the guy gave me an extra 10 back for change, i gave it back to him. A few weeks later a table of mine (im a server) gave me back 10 bucks that i over changed.

It all comes back.

oh and im glad to read you gave it back, way to make the right choice.

edit: oh and now i see this was all a scam. well fuck that guy

19. he could take you to judge judy

she'll make you give him the money back

20. its a fake check if he sent it
    he wants you to send him the goods before you figure that out after the check doesnt clear

had it happen to me once