I smell weed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kiwidemon, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Hey i was wonder what you guys do to stop the smell of your indoor grow completely. I walk downstairs and can smell i hit of weed. My plants are not even in flower yet just about 4 weeks old. I have a fan and Carbon filter. The smell is faint but was wondering how you get rid of it completely?

I sealed all the gaps with caulk in my grow box and gasketed the door. Please advise.

2. for 1 plant you can use a big ONA Gel container and good air circualtion to the outside.. but more than a plant get a good exaust fan and a carbon filter, id say the one u have is too small, u should upgrade it for your own security brother.. good luck mate

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. Tough sometimes - and wait till you're in full bloom - and even worse, trimming lol

Where are you venting to? Can you blow your event to a different location using flexible ductwork or PVC? Is it the exhaust that you're smelling?

Do you have positive pressure in the Grove area? By this I mean if you're using a tent, then it should be sucking the sides of the tent in slightly and if you are in a closet or small room, then if you crack the door you should be able to feel it sucking in ever so slightly. You shouldn't be able to smell anything at all as long as you have positive pressure removing it before that has a chance to smell up the area around it.

And one of my grows some years back I was able to tie my exhaust into the bathroom stink pipe, so that the smell was coming out way up on the roof.

If you've covered all of these bases then you may need to try and attempt to mask The aroma but that's pretty tough, and especially since you're not even flowering yet.

Luckily I live on a back road in rural Maine so I don't even bother with the filter

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Negitive pressure is your friend

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I have alot of negative pressure where it is hard to open the door to the cabinet. The fan doesnt have any duct it dumps right into the basement from the fan. I read its a bad idea to pipe into the furnace exhaust so i did not hook up anything to that. I didnt want to dump right outside, dont want the neighbors to smell. The smell is not strong at all but i feel like when curing or bloom it was be stanky. 20170821_200318.jpg

6. I do have prefilter on the intake. that is a 4" fan closet is 2x3x6

7. Im pretty sure its the exhaust i guess it needs better ventalation that just recycled basment air?

8. How many people vent to the outside? How long do you run your carbon filter before replacing?

9. What about when you harvest your crop? Or in full bloom what dp you use to contain the smell so your neighbors dont smell it.

10. my 2 cents:
    1)take a candle and walk it around you cabinet about 1. 5 inches from all areas that air can escape . The flame should bend TOWARD the cabinet at any gap(s) .If it bends away from the cabinet, you got to fix that.

2) make sure you are using a good carbon filter and that your fan is not pulling air through the filter faster than the rating for the filter

3) use ONA Gel ..it works

4) you might have to increase your intake vents a little more. You could be causing the fan to cavitate a little if it is being choked off by too much exhaust and not enough intake.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I was looking into how carbon filters work and i adjusted my fan controller to slow down the fan some to see if that helps some. Also have been looking at phat filters wondering what brand everyone elses is using. Im currently using a growbrite filter fan combo.

12. Got to know those cfm ratings. Turning the fan down seems counter intuitive, but it can be an asset to be able too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phat
    Can Filter

• Like Like x 1
  14. 8" Ipower works me. I coiled and boxed in the output so it slows down and is quieter. Tent is 2×4×7

15. Can u post a pick of your exhaust so i understand how you routed the ducting.

16. #17 MastaP, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    So, i chose to exhaust from the bottom, the duct and filter is just pulled to the top above the light. Heat rises of course. It was just neater this way so i don't have ducting visible from outside the tent. The fan in pic 2 and 3 is enclosed in HDPE plastic panels to dampen the sound. I attached more ducting to the fan output and coiled it around, then closed it into the fan's sound dampening box with a large hole on the box so air can still exhaust easily.

CIMG4988.JPG CIMG4989.JPG CIMG4992.JPG

im not running straight blurple BTW. I turned off the white to reduce the heat on the canopy while i took a photo of the tent open.

• Like Like x 1
  17. My ventilation setup is very similar to yours. I just vent directly over to the next room through the wall. It never smells even through flower. What brand of filter is it? I've read that certain brands work better than others. I believe my filter is good to 1.5-2 years. It's been 13 months and still does the job. Of course that also depends on the conditions you put it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. do you have a Db level on that set up? Love the work...well done

19. i dont. its loud enough that it is obviously on and doing something, like if you were standing next to it. But, if i close the door you dont here it at all.