I see evolution in my growroom

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chiefMOJOrisin, Jan 17, 2008.

1. For quite a while now, I've been growing several plants in addition to cannabis. Usually outside in my garden beds, but I also like to grow flowers and plants in my growroom.

Right now I have an amaryllis bulb that is just growing because it needs different light to bloom, and I have a pot with 8 gladiolus bulbs in it. These sprouted about 3-4 weeks ago and will bloom under the light I have on now (19/5).

According to the fact of evolution, all breeding organisms are subject to offspring mutations. From time to time, these completely random mutations benefit the organism. A good example is a cat's whiskers. They aren't a special type of antenna or anything, just simply adapted fur. One day, millions of years ago, a mutation occured that caused random furs on a cats face to become stiffer, or longer, or with more nerve endings..... something to cause the normal hair on its face to change.

At this point, the change is very insignificant, almost pointless. Until one day in this slightly-mutated feline's life, nature proved these mutated hairs to be beneficial. Perhaps the cat was walking through the woods and saw a mouse run into a hole rotted out in the base of a tree. The cat instinctively follows, looking for an easy meal...and a little fun. So the cat lunges and races towards the hole in the tree, until he gets close to it. Being curiously careful like all felines, he moves his face closer to investigate. As he is about to poke his head in, the mutated hairs on his face brush up against the sides of said hole and give the cat a sensation that effectively tells the cat if his body will fit in his desired destination.

Throughout this cat's life, he fathers many kittens with many females. He has successfully passed on his trait of 'mutated facial hairs'. Over the next millions of years, the original cats genes spread throughout. Maybe one kitten in every 3-5 litters created by his seed will possess this new desired trait. While all the other, 'normal' cats continue to produce 'normal' offspring.

The reason it takes millions of years is because of the sheer randomness of the mutations. And the fact that when the beneficial mutation occured there were many many more of his species that weren't born with the mutation that, before this new mutation, were the 'best adapted'. It takes quite a long time for the better adapted cats to 'take over' the 'normal' cats.

Mother nature naturally selected cats to have whiskers.

So.... back to my gladiolus. All 8 have sprouted and are all over 15" tall... except one. One of the 8 has a problem opening up the previous leaf to allow the next shoot to emerge. Only half of it opens so the next shoot emerges quite crooked and bent. I brought visual aides for the class.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there is one sprout that is clearly different from the rest. Now this particular mutation is of no obvious benefit to the plant. In nature, if a random mutation occurs that is detrimental to the species, the organism with said mutation will be less adapted for survival. Thus efficiently cleansing the species of weak or poorly adapted individuals and not allowing them create offspring.

Hence...wolves are inportant because they target weak or sick bison. The wolves kill and eat the bison to fulfill their natural needs...and the bison benefit by being left with strong individuals worthy of continuing the species. Also, the wolves who are too slow, sick or weak, and are not able to hunt efficiently, are thinned out as well. Once again helping the overall species.

If my mutated gladiolus for some reason was better equpied to handle its species natural duties, then it's seeds would carry the gene on and the next generation of blooms with continue the legacy of the better adapted plant.

The gladiolus are, IMO and excellent ecample because it can give a good sense of the time involved in natural selection. There are 8 total individuals. All 8, if left alive, will produce more offspring. 7 of which will be producing offspring which are well adapted, but not as well as the 8th. Over a loooong time, the mutated 8th will eventually prevail.

Say my gladiolus pot was in the forest where light is limited and only makes it to the forest floor in broken fragments. Perhaps the bends in the mutated gladiolus' leaves and stems make it better equipt to catch the fragmented light...thus allowing them to make more food, grow bigger and stronger than his competitors, and leave a legacy behind of better equipped offspring that will one day eliminate the compitition.

Natural selection is very subtle. Human interference and large distances between islands and mainland are the only things that speed up evolution. And even then it takes multi-generations see any substantial change.

Keep your eyes open.

2. Good posting:)

MelT

3. Why thank you, Meltage. I normally don't boast myself, but I was definately pumped when I figured all this out last night while smoking a bowl with my cat and plants. I knew it would make a good analogy/example.

By the way, have you been keeping up with the Astronomy Pic of the Day page you showed me?? Todays (1/17) is one of the coolest I've seen. It was titled, 'Thor's Helmut'. I probably like it best for whay it could be because the star inside the nebula could go supernova one day.......I can imagine what it would look like.

4. Funnily enough I was literally just looking at today's pic about five minutes ago, wonderful thing, isn't it?:)

MelT

5. It sure is. I love that site..... checked it everyday since you enlightened me.

6. Interesting read, thanks.

7. Great read Chief, you deserve a fuckin Star my brother :D

8. A-musing. :D Literally.

Yeah, he deserves a star. Because he is a shining star. He loves all. :) That's why he's here to spread Truth. You can read between the lines and see the pattern. Look at his congregation. ;)

9. there is no evolution, only creationism.

jk. good post.

10. ^ oh that was a joke! i missed that. :D

11. Very concise Chief. Were you just using the bulbs as a way to illustrate natural selection--using the cat and bison/wolf example for further understanding? If so--bravo. I'm sure that reading about natural selection in a textbook does not even compare to witnessing it in your own home. If you had a deeper point that I'm missing then please elaborate because I'm very interested.

12. I'm not sure I had a deeper message in mind..... I'll let others take from it what they will. But yes.... the cats, wolves and bison were a way to tie everything together.

Basically, the main reason for posting this was to show people that there is a lot to see past the confines of an outstretched hand. Keep an open mind about anything and everything and the world will opens its eyes and look right into yours. The problem is, most people walk around with their eyes closed. And materialism is their guide dog.

Ever since I learned what evolution/natural selection was, I was very interested. I've kept animals ever since I was responsible enough to fill a bottle with water and spill food all over a cage.

I remember in 7th grade, I stayed after school to talk to my biology teacher about evolution. The day's lesson only brushed passed the topic, and this day was the only day out of many that I took any teacher's advice to stay after class. I credit a lot of my scientific interests to my middle school bio teacher. The first thing he showed me was a map. It showed the Galopagos archipelago and the Pacific coast of South America. He explained to me how a bird that had been well established for millions of years on the mainland, can travel to islands and establish itself there. And as any curious 12 year old would, I asked, "Does the bird find a place the same as its natural home". My teacher, quite cleverly responded, "Well, thats why you're here.... so I can tell you just that." We talked about evolution for about 2 hours until I went home. Fortunately I live directly across the street from my towns middle school, so I was able to stay after once or twice a week to talk about biology.... an more specifically, work by Darwin. My 7th grade teacher gave me my first copy of 'Origin of Species'. Actually, during the summer between 7th and 8th grade, my teacher took a job teaching 8th grade bio.... so I had him 2 years in a row. Thats was pretty groovy.

So since 7th grade I have viewed animals in a different way. Someone might look at a giraffe and admire the obvious...... their long neck. When I look at a giraffe, I wonder what evolutionary advantage having a long neck gives the giraffe. Obviously, so it can reach the best leaves/fruits that grow high up in trees. And even further, what did those hairy/velvety horn-like lumps on his head evolve from? Were they full-blown horns?? Antlers?? I look at his patterns and try to figure out what foliage he is trying to dissapear into. I look at the animal in sections, trying to make connections between the creature I'm looking at, and others it might be related to.

Evolution, whether people want to believe it or not, IS what brought us to where we are today. Its why my skin is light and others are dark. Its why we have dogs as pets and cows as food. Its why we have malaria and the flu. Its why we have clothing and furniture to sit on. If there was no such thing as evolution, perhaps the tree that bore the wood for Jesus' cross wouldn't exist. And the Fake of................. .......err......um ........ the Shroud of Turin wouldn't be around to spark ridiculous debates.

Darwin selected the title, 'The Origin of Species: By Means of Natural selection, or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life." I find it ironic that the earth has had its own natural way of solving the 'Stuggle for Life' for millions upon millions of years. And when the 'most-intelligent' species comes along, it took a fraction of the that time to desecrate everything. Imagine all the amazing creatures that will never live again solely because of human interference.

For millions upon millions of years, this massive ball of matter we live on was able to perfectly integrate millions of different organisms. All with different needs and appearances....all living together, each one taking and giving what it can to the earth. Now, there a far too many who can't be in the same room as another human with different skin color. Two of the same species that are like poles on a magnet.

Now all we do is take.