I replaced my pellets with soil in a self watering system. Will it work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by abadagada, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I bought a Burpee self watering system that came with absorbent pellets. I could have used the pellets but I also bought some Miracle Grow moisture control potting mix so I wanted to use it. Anyway, it uses a special absorbent mat with a reservoir at the bottom you fill with water. I want to know if it will still absorb the water or if I just sabotaged myself. I'm growing super boy hybrid tomatoes, by the way. Should I have stuck with the pellets or will I be ok and can I leave it to absorb the water until the water is gone?

2. Here are some pictures of the system.

Attached Files:

3. This isn't a forum about growing tomatoes. For a question on growing tomatoes, I suggest you find a forum where people know about and give advice about, you know, growing tomatoes... :rolleyes:

4. The markers are marijuana. Sorry, so used to saying "tomatoes" to protect my legality. Please help or someone else again, please help. If not, I'll repost under a different title and try again but I will get some answers. this is my bread and butter.

5. With seedlings, you really shouldn't have to water until you transplant those to a little bit bigger pot (SOLO cup usually). So technically, the system is somewhat pointless...

Also... MG is a no-no around these parts

6. So you have a dome plus they're being watered on the regular?

Remove the res before you run into a problem known as "damping off"

7. They are just seeds. Barely planted them and the water only comes up when the soil loses moisture... but, I'm not sure if it's even being watered!!! They might die from just drying up... unless the soil does absorb the water from underneath. Does it? Please answer my question. Do I need to use the pellets instead or is it fine this way?

8. Who knows??

Perhaps you should have used this thing with the stuff it was designed to work with.

Might work, might not. IDK

Wet

9. Geez, I get better answers talking to myself!

10. Well, look at what you're asking.

First off, you have a system that apparently very few, if any, have used and then instead of using the pellets that are designed to work with that system, you use MG Moisture Control, which also few use.

There are probably zero people besides you that have done this combo and you wonder why you don't get an answer.

No one knows! Let us know if it works or not.

Wet

11. I use the Burpee dome to germinate my seeds aswell. Just not the self watering one. I use the pellets and i haven't had any problems with mine.

12. I'm happy to say they made it despite all the odds against them!!! But now I have another problem... I know I'm a noob but I have done well until this point. Probably because of over watering and too much coffee grounds in my soil. I think it may be too much nitrogen. What do you guys think and how do I combat this? By the way, against the advice of others, I took miracle grow soil and put it in a hydroponic growing system that sucks up water from a capillary mat. It's probably a dumb move because I can also get root rot but damn these plants are strong I just need some help because they cost me a lot of money so far! I would post pictures but since I already did for the forum post on indoor growing "My seedlings are turning yellow!" I can't but if you wish to see the pictures, please check out that thread. I have bought a hundred dollar air purifier and germ killer, made my own co2 tanks, and have a nice fan and humidity system for someone on a huge budget. By the way, my birthday is April 20! No shit! Thanks!