I remember when Pot was $20 an ounce, then went up to

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by OldGreenHead, Jun 26, 2022.

1. $40 an ounce. You lost about 10-30% to seeds and stems and it was brown. Wife says she remembers $15 an ounce.

Then came green, the SInse. That was all you could get then, after dirt brown went away, it was all $100 an ounce or more and green. No one complained ;)

Just got my medical card but have been smoking and growing since late 1970s.

Question...if my own homegrown is as good as the stuff at dispensary...I am doing good right? We can not tell the difference. (I thank ILGM for the seed help.)

Tough to pay $60-$80 per 1/8 of some crazy named stuff when I grow the same or better.

First time poster, just wanted to say hello and tell some stories.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. You will never look back ...as you have complete control over the grow room even storage later

your hardest choice is the cash outlay and the strain choice

and for that you are in the right place

good luck

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. When it hit $100 I thought surely that's it...........lolz.
    Far better to grow your own everything as much as you are able to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. 60$ was the cheapest when I first started. 12-14$ a gram now is insane. Back in Tennessee i almost stopped smoking when my guy stopped selling reg lol i was probably his only reg buyer. In my head I'm smoking a bowl or joint regardless why pay that extra. Have to admit tho, from back then until now the weed has improved significantly in just 22 years. Shit used to be compressed hard as a rock, seeded out, skunk or creeper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I remember 10 dollar lids or 10 dollar oz

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. I've often wondered what " Lid" referred to .
    Now I know !
    Thanks Headhunterpipes .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1

7. You got good price.

• Agree Agree x 1

8. I agree 110%. I came to talk about growing, which can be very relaxing :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. new growers often want to automate their grows
    but its only the oldies that want to actually grow the plant even be with their plants ...lol

its a C02 thing ...lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 Headhunterpipes, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Back then getting weed was tough where I lived.
    In 77 it was 10 dollar whores and 80 bucks for kilo of Mexican dirt weed in TJ Mexico/
    The dirt weed taste and the clap was free .

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Hi hon, welcome to GC! :gc_rocks:It's easy to make new friends here and you might pick up a few new growing tips. If you can't tell any difference between your home-grown and store-bought, you are doing it right! :smiley-rolling-joint:

And I got you guys beat! :laughing: Fat ounces were $10 and my first 2 kilos were $65 each. The "Warlock Shop" where I hung out, had a lot of kilos go through it. Let's just say that one night I sat on a "throne" made of 100 kilos.

Also about the origin of the word "lid". Back in the late 60s, one quick way for a dealer to measure out a rough ounce was to use a metal "Prince Albert" tobacco tin and stuff it up to the lid. The "lid" was then emptied into a fold-top baggie and sold.

[​IMG]

Granny

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. and now it's back to about $1/oz for yearly gardening supplies... California legal.

in college a "lid" was simply any measure you could consistently bag. it was typically around 20 grams.

• Like Like x 1

13. Yes, forgot about the compressed brown leafy matter that you had to break apart. Thanks for reminding!

• Like Like x 1

15. I hate to admit I still use dirt..oh my. Tried the hydro and other stuff, even the Co2 20+ years ago...just good old dirt now. I grow for own head and some friends, nothing commercial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Thank for the welcome Granny! You got me with the prince albert in can. We would prank call folks/stores back in youth and do the calls....never got herb that way.

I know it was always 4 finger for ounce in baggie.

I was surprised when I made first visit to dispensary and my quality was as good as or better as their stuff. I know the seeds and love do the trick.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. What do we call that smell when ladies are the late "flowering stage" and different smell in room, we are a few weeks away from harvest.

The ladies are not ready for picking yet but you can smell the decay.

I guess gasses being left off plants, but to me, there is a smell.

Anyone else?

18. U guys should visit India, where I live theres a village called Tyrsad (google it) and weed costs $12.53 for 1 KG or 2.2 pounds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Man, I paid 40$ for OZs back in my youth in So Cal. Full of stems, seeds, and maybe a bonus insect or rodent. Straight from the back of some poor soul with wet feet. It was the impetus to start growing my own though. I’m glad I did, I’ll never go back to the black market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Mid 70s, 40.00 lids, all shake in west tx, Panama red was shake. Saw my first real bud in San diego. Wow, never paid 25.00 for a qtr before. That's what it was 1980. Currently, in tx, 400.00 for good closet weed. Trouble is, same flavor for 7 yrs, thus why I'm a gromie at 60+.