I realized something

Discussion in 'General' started by bassistheshit3, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I'm sitting here writing my term paper about the legalization of weed (i smoked to help me concnetrate...clearly it isn't working though) and i realized why weed is still illegal.
    Marijuana is looked at by the government as a drug, grouping with alcohol and tobacco, but doctors and shit are looking at it as a medicine. If drugs like alcohol were looked at like a medicine, they wouldn't be legal either. And us potheads look at like a medicine. If we look at most medicines, like Adderal and those things, they wouldn't be legal as drugs either.
    or maybe i'm just a little to stoned.

2. This guy might be onto something

3. Well it's about time you figured it out.

Also big pharma couldn't patent it or regulate it, big pharma is usually government run and funded, and even if it was legalized they'd probably end up putting more money towards shutting down illegal growers and dealers and it would still be such a mess. And also weed cures cancer, so it kinda goes hand in hand with population control, have expensive, legal, heavily damaging, poisonous, cancerous booze and smokes easy to get so people damage themselves more, get into a drunk driving accident, etc and keep the herb and medicine from the people.

There's a lot more to it..

4. I wonder how many college kids write about legalizing weed every semester? 20,000? 30,000? I'm really happy I'm not a sociology professor right now.

5. the medical approach IMO isn't the correct approach at all. Regulation and taxing it only makes the most sense, even for recreational use. It's a plant, people will use a plant when they want to legal or illegal and vice verse, people aren't automatically going to starting smoking weed just because it becomes legal. The best approach to legalization is to speak the true facts about the current drug situation, the status of MJ, the pros/cons medically and economically and go for all out legalization and regulation. The medical approach is working, thus far, just not fast enough.

6. I look at it like this, Tobacco was probably better tasting before the government got involved with all the regulations and shit. And after all the shit they've put in it pretty much ruined something somewhat decent. So if they legalize weed, I fear that they will ruin the pot we love so much by adding all of these fillers and shit in it.

7. I agree, which is why when they legalize it they need to allow for personal harvest/grows, unlike silly WA 502, which IMO is a pretty bad petition.

8. The reason marijuana is illegal is because of William Randolph Hearst's smear campaign against the drug. His cousin, Andrew Carnegie owned a large portion of DuPont, a company which had just invested billions of dollars in the tree-to-paper industry. Hemp had been discovered as the most efficient substitute for tree pulp in paper production, and the losses for DuPont would've put the company out of business.

Yes, that's right. The activity we all love today is illegal because some douchebag manufacturing-tycoons in the 30s saw hemp as a threat to their paper business.

These are facts.

9. Marijuana is actually illegal because of paper companies that cut down forest and forest and jungle and jungle. Now its branched out to pharmacies and oil companies.

10. Nope. Weed is still illegal because of attitudes like yours. You've got people that think that weed is a drug, but alcohol (their drug) is not a drug and is perfectly okay. They demonize weed the way you just demonized Adderall.

The real answer is full legalization of all drugs. It is the right of the individual what they want to put in their own body. If you don't want people to demonize weed, we as pro-legalization citizens need to not demonize other people's drugs of choice.

Btw I don't use other drugs, only weed now, but I used to.

11. I think the whole no discussion of other drugs thing may apply here but...
    Wow. Fuck making "All drugs legal" to get legalization of marijuana. I think you need to take a look at whats being "demonized" and why. Do you have siblings or children?

Marijuana's effects on your brain, mentality, and morality ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO the effects of Pharmas and all that other B/s. Even alcohol ruins lives. I have Never met a homeless person whom was that way because of pot. Have you?

12. Weed is illegal because we have a government. Some people who have an imaginary leash on us so that we can live what their idea of life is. We're all "criminals" here by definition. But at the beginning and the end, we're just people who are being defined by old ideas. The future starts now! We can't rely on the people already in power, or the brainwashed. If they can take fresh minds and brain wash them "protecting" them from the truth, we can teach fresh minds the truth and protect them from brain washing! It all starts right here. Right now. One day, with knowledge, intelligence, and understanding, people will no longer act like animals, and we'll no longer have the need for a government. We can make life work without being told what we can and can't do. One day I hope that we will make life work by doing what we should do, and not doing what we shouldn't do.

Sorry for the rant. It just came out of nowhere.

13. It's not us vs the government - we are the government and we need government, but one that acts within its constitutional limits. You cant put the blame on anyone but the American public because we're the ones that dont follow politics and and we're the ones that dont fight for our freedoms

14. In regard to the remark, "if alcohol was looked at like as a medicine," it actually was. Alcohol has long been used for medicinal reasons. Perhaps, most recently in history, during prohibition, alcohol became available via prescriptions. Doctors were able to get permission from commissioners to treat patients with alcohol. Rye whiskey seems to have been the most abundant and used "medicine" of the time. There were numerous times when bootleggers tried and or did rob trains filled with medical rye whiskey. It has been a popular medicine through history because it has antiseptic properties, it's generally clean because of how it's created, and it can "relieve" a number of symptoms from toothaches to migraines. In more recent times, but less known, alcohol has been discovered to help reduce the risks of strokes and heart disease if used in moderation. Studies have been done that show people who drink are likely to live longer than their non-drinking counterparts.

I'm sorry for rambling, but I thought it might be relevant.

15. Maybe it's illegal because the US has an obesity problem and if it was legal that would only get worse

16. I'm pretty sure most potheads look at pot as a drug, not medicine.