i personally dont think it SHOULD be legalized to the open public.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Hali Hostility, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I guess you live in a prison town?
    well gee, I for one think that's a pretty fucked up consideration to worry about when you think about the insane amount of money being spent and the social destruction that comes with the current status quo. I don't know how the prison guards will replace their jobs and income but it's not like the country will fall apart because of their job loss. We have shipped many more good paying jobs overseas and lost more jobs to the banking industries fraud and crimes so I'm sure the government could bail out prison communities/local governments if they wanted too. but that's the real question to be answered, will the government ever spend the tax money of the 99% on anything that doesn't benefit the 1%.

2. #82 BreatheUp, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    thanks for calling me "fucked up"
    really appreciate that douchecunt.

was just a thought.

Name-Calling is not allowed here. - KSR

3. didn't call you fucked up ...said that was a fucked up consideration, completely different thing. I saw that you put a laugh in there, sorry you took it the wrong way...

sincerely, Douchecunt

4. What? illegal? Are you braindead or did you click the wrong thread?
    Or the wrong SITE for that matter?:confused:

5. [quote name='"Hali Hostility"']

What? illegal? Are you braindead or did you click the wrong thread?
    Or the wrong SITE for that matter?:confused:[/quote]

if i could like...no, LOVE a post i would yours x10

but im on my phone and can't like anything >:[

6. i really get bothered by people who try to justify legalizing pot from the tax revenue it will bring. Pot shouldn't be legalized for fiscal reasons, we already know our government cant handle that. Pot should b legalized because they are grossly infringing on our personal freedoms and liberty. The tax on pot should be equal to that of alcohol or tobacco, not a cent more. Who is to say what the price on pot will be, it all depends on what people are trying to pay.

7. Anybody who doesn't support full legalization is no better than the government and those who support prohibition.

And anybody with that opinion on the matter, including the OP, can go fuck themselves.

8. #89 nospimi99, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    Well first I don't think that the taxes thing will be true. I mean sure it will have dips and climbs and everything but think about it. How much do you smoke a year. $1,000? And how many other people in the U.S. smoke? You think some smoke more then you? I think that the Gov't will get so much revenue that they won't need to raise it too high.

Yes I know the Gov't is greedy and always wants more money, but I don't think they'd raise it too high because it would screw them over so bad. People would be growing and selling like it is now and they wouldn't be getting any money. I don't think they would risk a pool of money that massive.

As for it being illegal to grow I'm up in the air with that. If they make it illegal it'll be like downloading music is illegal. How long did it take them to shut down limewire? I mean yeah there'd be a lot of people doing it but there'd be probably twice as many people buying. Plus it's not digital so it'll be harder to find out of you're growing. On the other hand it's legal to grow tomatoes and sunflowers and sell those? Plus most people would probably only grow weed for themselves so they're not selling. The only reason they would sell is if they could make massive money and that would only really happen if they taxed too much.

I think they age for buying weed should be 16. It'll probably be 18 (When they do it) or maybe even 21. However no matter what they do there will be younger kids wanting it and having people buy it for them. That's just a given.

Finally I don't know why they don't do it. Do you know how much money is used on anti-marijuana campaigns? It's the most recreationally used "Drug" so they're gonna focus the most money on it. Plus SO MANY less people in jail in rehab, less court costs, less people will die because of the drug game, and the police can focus on people ACTUALLY committing CRIMES. So much money, time, and resources can all be saved (And earned) all with the signing of one paper...

9. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ let me give an answer to just a small part of your post.

In my opinion the tax potential or lack of it is not even a part of the equation in the government reasoning to Keep marijuana illegal. There is huge political swipe wielded by the groups that benefit from the us and them equation. Think about how many are employed in the justice system. There are the federal law enforcement agencies such as the DEA, the FBI (who follow the money) the CIA (using the hard drug trade to fund covert policies) the local police (federal and state task drug task forces) the Justice department itself, the courts, and the prison system. Just within the scope of the prison system there is the federal prison agency (the BOP) and the huge private prison operators. Then there are the prison guard unions both state and federal, those that build prisons and those that profit from goods made by prison labor. The list goes on and on. Keeping the war on drugs going is huge money and money is voice and power in our country.

10. stfu op

11. the last time I answered this post there seemed to be a misunderstanding that led to hard feelings and once again Id like to offer an apology to BreatheUp so that his question can be more fully discussed.

How can financial damage to a community be minimized when ANY industry closes or is reduced in a drastic fashion? American prisons both state and federal are for the most part placed in outlying communities and do become the major employer and tax base to the community they are based in quite quickly. The loss of a prison therefor would impact the home values of the area as well as all of the city services provided by local governance. I believe that it is doubtful that any current prisons would have to be closed as there is plenty of other crimes worthwhile of imprisonment and the criminals to fill the cells. The only real effect would be a reduction in the billions of taxpayer dollars spent to build new prisons which seems to me to be a positive affect. But let us assume for this discussions sake that some prisons would in fact be closed. State and federal funds could be spent to retrain guards for other industries, something done when other industries were outsourced. Why should prison/law enforcement be entitled to protected status from "market forces" when other citizens jobs are not? While it is true that the typical economy of outlying communities is farming and do not support the scale of employment of the prison system, most have the transport capability for small manufacturing. Assuming a worst case scenario that a entire community becomes useless, the costs of paying out the entire current value (before the closing of a prison) of all the real property in said community to the existing owners would be far less than the billion plus costs of building even one new prison. It is not that a good solution for the average citizen cannot be found or afforded that is the problem, it is that government has no interest in the average citizen when favored groups can instead be appeased. That's my opinion.