I need your help guys

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by michalis, Oct 18, 2013.

1. hello to all

completely new to growing mj and i need your advice

I bought a tent thats about 30x30x90 cm, i guess thats about 2x1x1 feet?

anyway the gouey at the store gave me a CFL 40W 6400K 1750 Lumens

he told me that due to small size of tent this was more than enough but it doesnt sound right to me

is he right? what would you recommend for lighting in this puppy?

i havesome other questions as well if anyone would care to help out,

how many plants should i atempt to grow in this puppy?

what size should my pots be?

hydro or fertilizer?

i appreciate any help i can get

2. Too small for anything really. You at least want 2x2x5. Your little tent would get way too hot and there wouldnt be enough room for the equipment you need i there

3. My room. 4x4x7, 400w hps/mh light, 6" inline fan with carbon scrubber, air cleaner, pots, stand...theres a lot of stuff you should have to make growing worth your while

so you would suggest not going through with it? or getting a bigger tent?

5. A bigger tent at least. The light will grow you some mj but dont expect a good yield or top quality bud

6. Not imo. Simple is better. Only point i see in carbon filter is smell. If that's not a prob, you don't need it. And they have had many successful grows with cfl's. No need for all the fancy cloning and mother plant and all that jazz if you are only growing one plant at a time. What ever feels right fir that person is what works imo. Just depends on what you are looking for. Cfl's will give good yields but you need at least 100 watts(actual watts not equivalent) per plant and they need to be as close as possible. They are great for budget grow. But a 150-250 watt hps/mh will be better and you will get thicker buds. Just all about preference.

-Frog

7. This is what i use for nutes. There are many options but i prefer organic. I also use foxfarm ocean forest as my soil

8. #8 michalis, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
    thanks for taking the time guys, i've learned a lot and i've been on this site only a few hours

9. General rule of thumb is you want 100 actual watts for the first plant and 50-100w for each additional plant.  That bulb would be just fine for a seedling but you'd have a hard time growing and flowering with it and not have a lot of stretching and airy buds.

You can find nice deals on HID setups.  I got my Apollo Digital Ballast (dimable to 50%, 75% and than full 100% power) with a MH and HPS bulb, timer and a non cooled hood with nice ratchet hangers for $100 from amazon.com

If you can cool it you will appreciate the HID lighting route for its ability to grow amazing buds even with lower wattages, plus the light penetration is light years beyond CFLs.  If you are on a budget and cannot cool it adequetly than CFLs will work, just make sure to have some 2700k and 6500k bulbs for veg and flower respectively, and get up to 100w per plant if you can.

10. It depends on how much you smoke, and your reasons for doing it. Is it just a project or are you looking to become completely self-sufficient? I can get by on a ¼ oz per week if I conserve and it takes me 14 weeks to go from seed to harvest, so I'd need at least  4-5 oz harvests to stay medicated and avoid street prices.

IMO, the best way to determine what you need in a setup is to first decide how much you want to harvest and work backward from that. So if you want 4-6 oz at harvest time you'd need a 250w digital hid to pull it off. A 2x2x5' tent or something in that range, 4" inline, and a carbon scrubber would be ideal for the 250w, without temps getting out of control.

I'd be pretty disappointed if I invested 4¼ months into growing a measly ounce or two, regardless of how cheap it was to set up. When your harvests exceed your usage, the setup literally pays for itself.

Start with soil, I'd recommend a simple organic mix for your first run. Hydro can get expensive if you want to do it right, and it's a lot to spend just to grow one plant.

Hope this helps, Cheers!! :bongin:

11. hey thanks for all the input, well it is my first time so i guess i am just trying to learn here

i already have the 1x1x2 tent, i had to import it so its gonna take some time before i can get my hands on a bigger one

could i maybe go ahead with only 1 plant? or is even 1 plant impossible in such a small tent?

i could probabbly find some good cfls or hids for it at some local hardware stores