i need to eat more vegetables. but i dont know what im doing

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by fruitality, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ok so i mostly eat meat. like probably 75%-85% of stuff i eat is made from meat (steaks, bacon, fish, sausages, beef/pork roast, meatballs, shrimp, etc)
    \ni drink blended frozen berries or other fruit with my protein shakes. for some antioxidants and fatty seeds. and sometimes i snack on roasted nuts or trail mix.
    \ni eat vegetables sometiems but i really have no idea what the fuck im doing.
    so my question is, what kind of vegetables do i need to supplment my awesome ketogenic diet, how should i prepare them?

2. Veggies r great sautéed as it losses less nutrients than boiling or steaming.

The Chinese has found wok stir fry to be the best. Its crunchy and delicious. Its because of the high heat

So try different veggies and incorporate it into your diet. Try for fish with sautéed mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, watercrests, snap pees in a wok on med high heat, while stirring constantly. Get garlic and onion and mince them up and sauté them with olive oil. The add in whatever veggies u want; and sea salt and pepper to taste.

Another method is to eat raw salads like spinach, romaine, and other herbs with balsamic vinegar. You can eat this as a lunch with chicken. Kinda like a chicken Cesar

Try different types as it will fill in the gap of missing nutrients such as nutrient dense green plants such as Bok choy, kale, and herbs like rosemary. Should all be fresh and local. I find the farmers market helps, everything is super fresh and packed with phyto life.

Breakfast can be quite simple. Two eggs, beaten and fry on butter. Half way thru, add in spinach and mushrooms, with garlic and onions as a base. Hell, you can even go crazy and add beans, lettuce, potato, jalepenos, or zucchini.

Make it simple, and make sure your plate is colorful!
    Colors like in spinach, beets, carrots, etc will provide you with all those different spectrums of nutrients and also gives you energy captured through the sun via photosynthesis.

Another way is to juice it, but you lose alot of fiber, so i recommend the nutribullet.

Hope this helps

M3ssenger

3. Not sure what veggies you need, but BLT's are great, load the lettuce and tomatoes on....and bacon of course.

4. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, and um... well there a lots of vegetables to try out. 

5. I'm a big fan of green smoothies. I stuff a lot of spinach into my smoothies. I'm vegan and some weeks it's hard to get in all my veggies. Green smoothies are a great way, imo, to get a large serving of vegetables in a short amount of time.

I think you need to learn basic science. This is not a fixed idea. Some nutrients are fat soluble and others are water soluble. To cook a vegetable in water is to destroy/lose more of its water soluble nutrients, and to cook a vegetable in oil is to destroy/lose more of its fat soluble nutrients (unless you eat really greasy food by keeping all the excess oil). Your job is to decide which vegetables need to be cooked in which ways.

7. You generally want green veg for iron/fiber so things like broccoli, green beans, peas etc

Obviously if you are on the keto diet you are depleting your body of carbs - i recommend turnip aswell as it typically has 6g of carbs / 100g

Are you working out too? I am bulking just now and i love sweet potatoes!! 

8. I understand that; however there are other methods of cooking without water or oil. Sautéing with the latter will be too greasy, and it is not necessary. There are certain cookware that allow you to bypass it, I've seen some great ones where you can sauté without oil with just a light mist of water on the pan. I prefer sautéing on medium heat with a teaspoon of olive oil on a ceramic pan. Its healthy and tasty.

My LDL went down and my teeth remineralized after i changed my diet. It use to be 40% meat, 10% veggies on a good day, and the Rest is always white rice. Now im adding brown rice and always making sure my veggies are more than anything on my plate. Usually 60% veggies.

That being said, sautéing your veggies is the way to go unless you can grill it.
    Some veggies are best raw, but for me, I'd always cook cruciferous veggies.

OP, I highly suggest spirulina; and some sea kelp as it boosts iodine levels to keep a healthy thyroid.
    oh and sea salt >table salt.

Seasoning also plays a factor in taste and health. If you can afford it, get only fresh ground herbs. Stay away from anything you might deem 'processed'.

Peace and good eats!

“The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a tellar but for want of an understanding ear.” Stephen King

9. Buy a $5 collapsible steamer basket, some carrots, cauliflower, and broccolli. Scrub the carrots and cut them up into 2" chunks if they're skinny, 1" chunks if theyre thick. Get the water gently boiling under your basket and toss in the carrots. Cover it. 5 minutes later, put in golf ball sized cauliflower chunks. Few minutes later put in cut up broccolli. Finish steaming for another 5 minutes or so. I like to grate a little parmesan or romano on top and mix with a small dot of butter or a spash of olive oil. Buy small wedges of real parmesan and grate it yourself instead of using the processed stuff. The difference is amazing and it's not loaded with salt and chemicals. Expensive but a little goes a long way.

Absolutely this. I literally put 3-5 servings of fruit/vegetables in a green smoothie and drink that 5 out of 7 days a week. You can put anything in a green smoothie as long as you have banana and some type of fruit, it tastes fine.

Yesterday's green smoothie was made from:
    1 carrot
    2 handfulls of kale and spinach
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 soy yogurt
    10 radishes
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 zucchini
    1 tomato

Yes, it looked disgusting but tasted fine.