Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I need to calibrate a scale

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tyler369, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hey all, so i bought a scale the other day and when i got it back to my buddys house i got my friend to try and calibrate it because i was just too high to figure it out :D
    He told me after that i needed a 500 gram weight to calibrate the scale, but the problem is i do not have one, so does anybody know of anything around the house that weighs 500 grams besides the 100 nickels?

Thanks

2. not a 100% sure on this, but a dollar bill is supposed to weigh 1 gram. So if you put a 1 dollar bill on the scale and it comes out to exactly 1 gram, then you know it should be calibrated. but sometimes it can get messed up in shipping.

3. Dude, my first scale was calibrated with a bunch of random shit. Keep piling on/taking off shit until it says PASS. Might be off .1 or .2, but for the most part it is accurate. :D

4. That doesn't really seem like it would be accurate. (Not saying it wouldn't work, but it might be WAY off, depending on the scale itself.)

5. i believe nickels weigh 2 grams, so i just piled like 250 nickels onto my scale tray and it worked fine, all us paper currency weighs 1 gram, but i didnt have $500+ at the time

6. You can buy weights at stores for this exact purpose, dunno if you're willing to go there though

Even if you went to home depot or something like that I'm sure you could find somehting cheap to use

7. It worked for me. Dollars weighed .9 instead of 1.0. Other than the .1 difference the scale was accurate. It was an AWS too. Maybe I got lucky...

8. im in canada im not sure if the money weights are the same as the US

9. Canadian penny (2000+): 2.35g
    Canadian nickel (2000+): 3.95g
    Canadian dime (2000+): 1.75g
    Canadian quarter (2000+): 4.4g
    Canadian $1/Loonie (pre-2012): 7.0g
    (source)

Canadian bills seem to weigh 1.1g, from a quick Google search...but I can't find anything authoritative on that.

10. A dollar weighs 1 gram so just put $500 on your scale.

11. thanks i guess ill just have to throw stuff on it to see if its accurate haha

12. You may as well shell out the extra $3 for a calibration weight.

The accuracy is worth it. You don't want to be getting ripped off/ripping yourself off.

13. [quote name='mambugaw']You may as well shell out the extra $3 for a calibration weight.

The accuracy is worth it. You don't want to be getting ripped off/ripping yourself off.[/QUOTE

I dont mind paying for a calibration weight its just nowhere around here sells them (small city) so its not really a option :(

14. A british 1 penny weighs exactly 3.5 grams. Completely useless to your situation, but thought I'd throw it out there.

15. just discovered some 100g yogurt packs in my fridge, think ill just use 5 of those :) :bongin:

16. You could buy fishing weights

17. That will be close, remember it is telling you the contents are 100 G not including the container. The container weight compared to 100 G is insignificant IMO unless they are by chance made of medal.

18. #18 KillaWillaBilla, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    DO NOT listen to this weighing a dollar and having it come out at 1 gram DOES NOT mean it is calibrated correctly. one gram is not enough to show strays in the weight it is measuring hence it requires a 500gram weight to calibrate. at one gram it could be off by .05 and not show it yet i know it doesn't seem like much but the .05 can multiply its self on higher weights meaning the more weight on the scale while not calibrated will show a bigger gap in the calibration. i know this beacuse my hommie and i weighed out a nickle at 5 grams well that means its calibrated right, nope we put his 500 on their and it read at 500.2 so it was not calibrated correctly, calibrated it and 500 gram weight weighed 500 grams. oh and lol not being a dick sorry if it sounds that way lol

19. oh haha, well its the closest thing i have that weighs 500g's so it cant hurt to give it a shot. Those little thin plastic cups shouldnt make too much of a difference.

20. Guessing they weight out each at around 8 grams (40 grams total) . Just weigh an empty one.