I need tent advise

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cactus Ed, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Is there a sticky somewhere about tents? It seems like many folks here use them so I'd like to read about them before deciding which I need. I have a 400/600/1,000 watt HID, money, and enough room. If there isn't a sticky then maybe there has been a thread lately? Any advise? My seeds are sprouting now.

2. Llatikuf: A year ago, like you, I put out the call here for help and I got a lot of happy responses from tent owners so I bought one and I haven't looked back since. I looked at all of them that I could physically see in stores. I wasn't about to buy from a picture in a catalog.

They all have some good features. Some have more vents, more zippers, and they come in various sizes. Mine is 4" longer and wider than the advertised size and when you're putting in a 4' rack of T-5's in a 4' tent that comes in handy. No one maker I saw has it all. I ended up buying a 2' by 4' by 6 1/2' Super Hydro Hut from Discount Hydroponics at Riverside, California. I think it was about $238 and I still have no regrets. It doesn't leak light at night, which was a concern because my grow area is in an anti room right off the bedroom and we're both light sleepers. It has a curved zipper which I worry about, but it does have a great reflective surface. I saw some of the cheaper ones and you do get what you pay for. I hope that helps. Hank

3. Thanks Hank. I have a little workshop/storage building where I have my stuff set up right now but I was thinking it's inconvenient utilizing that room for anything other than growing without a tent. I have the tools and skills to enclose the grow area but just buying the tent will cost about as much as the materials and so much easier, especially because the older I get the lazier I get. And as I live in the center of nowhere the only shopping I can do for tents are online. The review RO76 suggested is a good resource and anyone shopping for a tent should check it out. I still could use some advise on what size would be best for me. If someone has an opinion on that I'd appreciate it. I was thinking 4X4 but that's just my guess. My equipment is in the OP.

4. 4x4 is the perfect size . I have 3x3 Secret Jardin DR90 . It is a very good tent but little bit small for 4 plants in RDWC , the only one thing that I do not like besides the size is that it has only one door .DR120 (4x4 tent) on the other hand has Big side windows which can be used to access the plants in the back .I would recommend you to go with DR120 , good quality , good size .

5. Thanks Elvis, I think I'll do that. It's nice to get some advise before I buy instead of buying first and then find out I should have went another way. Which is what I usually do. Anyway, thanks guys.