i need suggestions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by timmy, Sep 28, 2004.

1. alright, i am growing in an attic. this is my first time. the attic usually stays pretty warm even when its cold out so im not worried about that. my only real choice for lighting is flourescent lights. right now i have two 48" long flourescent lights that are made for growing plants, they says the output is 1900 lumiens each. and i am going to try and get my hands on as many more as i can. i havent gotten the seeds yet, i am trying to set up a grow room first. i have a fan that can blow lightly over the plants and i have some plastic set up around the table i am growing on to keep in as much of the heat and humidity as i can. i dont yet know what kind of fertilizer to get or even if i really need it. please make suggestions or tell me if im doing somthing totally wrong. do i have enough light? how much more would i need? thanks

2. Hi timmy :wave: and welcome to the city :hello:

im a fellow loft grower.........well that light will work but you realy do want a hps......the only good thing about a loft is no one can see it and they dont smell it in the house....other than that its a pain....well is for me......here is a link to my last loft grow journal http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?t=39788 .......have a read and any Qs i will answer later...laters

3. so do you think i should buy any more floros? but yea, in my attic it has carpet in the center upside down V part and then when the rafter change to right side up V i wedged some long boards to make really long stable tables. i have the two long 48" floros hanging over where the plants will be, should i put one on each side too? to get light to the lower leaves and maybe increase yeald a little bit? i also have a tv and some old nintendo system and some surround sound up there:D

4. it looks like you are pretty set up from what i see in your journal. i am wondering about heating? what is a simple salution, unnoticable, and cheap that i could do to keep that attic toasty even in the winter. would enough flourescent lights make heat?

5. and for me HPS lights are almost out of the question at this point so im trying to do the best with what i can get

6. Hi timmy

well theres a few things to go through......one is how are you going to get CO2 up there........

your flouros will give you next to no heat.......even the reds give out little heat as far as i know......and yes lights around not just on top is a good idea expescialy as there only flouros....

and a few Qs for you

how much height you got up there????is there any sun light shinnig through?????how cold and hot does it get where you live??????how many plants you wanting to grow?????do you own the place your living in or what???

cant beat hps for inside grows timmy......meybe something to work towards....laters jay

7. Yes I would suggest more fluoros if that's all you will be using. You can never have too much light, unless you are burning your plants to a crisp lol. You will definitely want to work towards an HPS for flowering I do agree, far more lumens and intensity than fluoro's A simple space heater could work well for your heating issues. Much luck to you and glad to hear you are setting up prior to growing, it helps tons.

Gg

8. well, for co2 im not sure yet, i heard baking soda and vinegar? or i could use my 50 lb tank and give off a squirt every once in a while. or even every day. I am 5'5 tall and i can stand upright in the middle but i am mostly crouching because i am near the edge. there is no sunlight, there are two big vents on top and 4 smaller vents down low so air should circulate well. im wanting to grow maybe 5 ? maybe more or less. i am living with some people right now but they never use the attic, they barely know its there. and so i need a heater, but should i use a heater fan or a heat light? and if i used a heat light could it be on the plants or not? or if i used a heater fan could it blow over the plants instead of a norm fan? or would that dry them out? which is better? less fire threat? less energy being used? dont want people to wonder with the elctric bill:D and thank you so much everyone this is really helpful!