I Need Some Input GC!

Discussion in 'General' started by Chrismittty, Mar 17, 2013.

1. #1 Chrismittty, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    So as you may have figured out based on the Bling thread that pops up from time to time, I am getting into the jewelry business. Now that that's obvious, keeping my name clean, free and clear of fake stuff is of the UTMOST importance. First off, I collect this stuff, and I personally like and appreciate each and every piece I have. Second, people like to think that since they have seen something "similar" they know exactly what an Item is...I USE this to help determine what something is, and it helps. Because I have the resources, then I go on and test, and check for markings, because I know what markings mean, and what the tests should look like. It is not secret knowledge and your average thrift shopper or soccer mom knows if her ring is 14k or 18k or Sterling silver, and what to look for, most of it is pretty simple really. It is the testing that can take a while to learn, and "master" without false positives and stuff. The real issue is, How, as a consumer, would you perfer to hear that "although your information may be credible in some situations, in this one, you are looking at an authentic solid gold or silver item," and I need to know how to get that price you paid for a costume version of the exact thing that sits before you, out of your head, because no ma'am or sir, this here is real.....I don't mean to sound rude, but a few reasons I feel this way now are as follows: I recently had a lady take hold of a nearly 200 dollar nut dish in one hand with an antique 100$+ pie server in the other, both clearly marked "STERLING" and bang them together repeatedly, despite my pleading with her to stop, to apparently "hear if they were really silver".....She was just the worst example, most do not have the nerve to do that kind of shit, I could have really lost it on that lady, and her husband was fueling her, and her son who was around my age....All of them, apparently fucking nuts?? Lol get it? Nevermind but another exampple, which I alluded to in the lengthy paragraph above, is my friends mother. She has a ton of nice jewelry, knows her david yurman like the back of her hand...Also thinks she knows a snap close, wide Silver bangle, marked .925, is a "Costume Piece" and she means, "it is not silver" and has repeatedly said, "No way! I saw the exact same one in a tourist shop in blahhbalahhh..." Thinking that there is no way another company could have made very similar ones, out of sterling silver??? It is light, hollow, pretty solid but it has all of the modern trademarks of manufacture, yet she can not accept it is real. It isn't spectacular or anything, it is that she bought it from me, and thinks it is no good even though marked...She cant understand an acid test or doesn't want too or just doesn't trust me all of the sudden..I do not know what the deal is or why, but I know the bracelet is Solid .925 sterling, and I run into stuff like this, and the buyer changes their minds because they think "It can't be real" and I can not afford people going around, saying the shit I sold them is fake all on a whim. I can clearly test it and show anyone who wants to read the little info card I have..I can show the marking, but what do I do when it isn't good enough for the person????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I want to make my customers satisfied and keep a good reputation!

Woooo I am a gnarly rambler...Too high to be making threads but if you personally feel it is TL;DR or you just can not stomach it here:

How do I convince someone that the jewelry I sold them is in fact real, when they have their own ideas as to what it "really is"..?

Ex: Lady: I saw that same bracelet 15 years ago at a truckstop
    ME: Oh wow, well this one is sterling silver, that must have been an awesome truckstop!
    Lady: No way is that solid silver, I saw, and BOUGHT THE SAME ONE, 10$ AND IT IS COSTUME AKA NOT REAL." * her pointer finger in my face and waving her head back and fourth**Stomps off cursing me*
    Me: :confused::confused::confused_2:

Lol still long, Sorry guys..:poke:

2. Become a Graduate Gemologist. If they still don't believe you (Many won't) then move on.

3. Pretty Good idea, That is a future goal, I am sure that still won't be enough for some..:laughing: I know some people who are GIA certified, and yeah that would be really helpful...Eh, even if it is with just silver and gold.

So, for the time being, I want to gently persuade the doubters toward the idea that this, this is a silver or gold version of what they know. Doesn't mean its better, just different. Best way before I am GIA certified...?

4. Hot damn bro... That's a hell of a question. I can't say I have your answers, but I have my good vibes flying toward you at the speed of thought. I hope someone helps you out though.

5. just start claiming their articles of clothing when they start with that bullshit

6. I'm assuming that having your items appraised individually by a 3rd party is too expensive?

Maybe you could have a policy that would allow someone to check out a piece for an afternoon so they can take it to a shop of their choice to have a it appraised. Photocopy their license and hold their credit card as collateral. I bet 99% of your customers will turn it down but at least feel more reassured knowing that they do have the option of doing it.

I dunno lol..

7. People. Lol.

If they aren't willing to see a test, I have no idea. If you ever need to sell some Pink Gold.. ;)

8. I know it's completely different but I used to sell fresh fruit and you would get people walk up to you and say you're lying about where it was grown :(, it was just something I had to deal with that can't really be stopped. The only way I can think of proving it is some sort of certificate or official document for expensive pieces, but I wouldn't know if that's really a thing with jewelry.

9. #9 Chrismittty, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    Sort of is too expensive to have appraised at this point, and some would be worth it to scrape up the money just for insurance purposes.. and your idea isnt bad, I say man, It could work! I mean any additional source of "this is real" helps a lot, but I bet a lot of people would just cancel the card and keep my shit.

Yeah man, people are nuts..Hmm, lol so pink gold you say:smoking: lemme get some

I bet it is really similar,sorry you had to deal with that crap..Oh and I agree with the certification, it is a thing for jewelry. I have gotten a few, but not all, or the ones I would want too because all of it would cost an assload, I have too much stuff, and would not really raise the value that much..

Lol, wouldn't get me far, some of these assholes are pretty crappy people, I mean, I really wouldn't want their naked bodies around me or their clothes lol.:p

I appreciate the input guys, Keep it coming if you have any ideas, I might expand the picture of the acid test instructions, make a damned poster to put up behind me or something??I know these won't work for everyone, but maybe it will help with some?? Also offer to test right then and there to show beyond a doubt??:confused::confused:
    It does make the people who sell the fake 14k and .925 chains there sweat too, because they know their 30$ sterling chain that is 2 oz can not be legit..And I could expose them to any customer I want.
    One of them might shoot my ass one day, I fear. Some of them are overly serious people, and no one buys them anyways, I think because a 18 gram 14k charm for 60 bucks makes ZERO sense and people know it?

10. Might be because I am not a middle aged or elderly man, and am only 24, and all that jazz. A lot of the stuff I have found, people seem to figure a person my age would not have, or care about...

11. [​IMG]

Quality shit man.

12. You just need to legitimize your business practices. They won't notice your age if you dress well (or at least look clean :p), speak articulately and have policies and procedures in place. I'm sure you have the speaking/dressing part down.

When I was 19 I would rent motorbikes to tourists and held their passports as collateral in case anyone lost or damaged a bike. Some assholes would go so far as to bus to an embassy and get a new passport so they wouldn't have to pay me before they left. Little did they know the emergency contact part on their contract was what I'd use to call their family or significant other and tell them what happened lol. Got my money back all but once. Shame goes a long way.

I think this is your best option as you should have enough evidence to take to the police if needed:

- Write up a short and concise standard contract which states that the person is checking out an item (have an underlined space where you can write the name or item # in) to have it checked/appraised on their own dime. State that if they fail to return it you will take their information to the police. When someone wants to do this, you both sign and date it. Do this on the triple layer receipt paper so you can tear them a copy.

- Have a ledger book where you record the date, customer's first and last name, item name or #, time of check out, time of check in and make sure they sign the ledger when they check an item out AND back in.

- Photocopy their drivers license and have them sign the page.

- Hold a credit card as collateral.

I know that sounds like a lot but it will literally take less than 5 minutes for you to get all that done before letting them get something checked. As I said most people probably won't even want to do it once you offer this to them. They'll see that you have all of your paperwork and practices laid out and respect the legitimacy of your operation.

Sorry for a long post but this got my wheels turning lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 Chrismittty, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    Ballin ass idea.:hello: Thank you so much. +1 internet points!
    Edit:
    I was kinda thinking about those 3 layer receipts but was worried they were too oldschool and it wouldn't work out in modern times..Glad you thought of it, almost fully.

I like deterring some folk, the ones looking to cheat will likely be like, shit fuckk that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WALL o TEXT

15. #15 Chrismittty, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    Yeah man, :laughing: see, even with the TL;DR it is designed to be nearly impenetrable if you're smoking on an indica right about meow..Too much words..lol