I need some help.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by MandalaSmoker, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I cant find this information and need to write it down.

When the plants eat in hydroponics and they are getting enough food and water the ph will rise after awhile.When the water level drops and ppm stays the same they are getting the perfect balance of water/nutrients.

If the ph lowers they have too much nutrient and I should dilute.Or its a sign of an infection.If my water level lowers and the ppm rise they are getting too much nutrient.

Is this corect?Where can I find this information?

2. The last sentence is correct based on La Chateliers principle. It's based on the theory that solutes (nutes in this case) translocate or diffuse across cellular membranes from a concentration of high to low. The same principle applies to water in that vegetable swell up in a bowl of water due to uneven osmotic pressure in the plant cell and the bowl of water. There is significantly less water within the cell as compared to the bowl of water so the general movement of water molecules is an influx inside the cell. Now, apply this to nutrients. If there is a higher concentration outside of the cell then movement is favored inward. If the plant has enough nutrients, then it will shift its metabolism away from those nutrients and drink more water, thus the water level drops while the ppm rises as a consequence of the diminishing volume of water and the plants decision to down-regulate its nutrient uptake which results in ppm rising twofold.

I know this through years of studying biology and chemistry. This is how cellular membranes accomplish many of the ongoing processes inside our cells. Membranes can use these concentration gradients to their advantage by harnessing the free energy created by the passive diffusion across the membranes. Cells are capable of moving in solutes by coupling a molecule going with its gradient to a molecule working against their concentration gradients in this exact way. If you're interested, look up what a symporter and an antiporter is.

3. sounds about right to me. my ppm was at 1200. kept rising, although very slowly. lowered to 1100 stays stable 24 hours a day now

4. Thanks for the help everyone.