I need some help designing a box... details inside

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BrazyJay, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Ok i need some help designing a grow box. Height: 4.5 ft., Depth: 2.5 ft., Width: 2 ft.

Would these dimensions work with a 250w hps and 2 big plants? And also what material would i use to cover the frame (plan on making the frame of wood). Basically i need something not totally lightproof (i have a whole room i dont use) but i just want to cut down on my sq. ft. Only need room for 2 big (LST'ed) females in flower, i grow for personal and i dont need much more than that. If someone could point me in the right direction of what to get tomorrow when i go to lowes. i was thinking of using plywood over the frame, but could this be a fire hazard with a 250w hps? Also, if anyone knows any good sellers of good, reliable, quality inline fans or other fans on ebay that will work for this, please let me know. I dont plan on using a carbon filter, plan on using the pine-sol and water in a bucket with an air stone.

2. Very similar to my grow space dimensions, I'm 2.5x2.5 footprint and 4.0 height. I use a 250w and its very good for that space, supplementing with CFLs out to the edges. I can grow 4 in there using tall and narrow kitty litter bins and LST with abandon. So you'll be in good shape.

As for walls, if they don't need to be lightproof then whatever is cheapest -- b&w poly, plywood painted white, just mylar on any flat surface stiff enough.

3. i guess i will have a fun time tomorrow at lowes lol...damn i guess i will have to build this thing in the grow room, thats gonna be fun (not)...

i will probably mount the 3 fluro tubes i have and just put all of my small CFL's in there somehow, and keep the big 105w out for vegging plants...

BTW, my current girl now takes up all of this space plus more i dont see u can grow 4 plants in that space... guess i will have to do light LST with future grows.

4. My trust in the durability and constitution of plywood decreases as the temperature increases. With an HID in your box, you could have potential problems from the high temps or especially from humidity - even if you seal the plywood.

Are hard walls for your box a requirement? If not, you can make a lot of easier alternatives like mylar curtains. Just a thought.

nanu nanu

5. Not, plywood isn't a real problem with firehazard, I run a 400 in one, but I would recommend something much lighter, it's heavy as f*ck. Also, why limit yourself to 4 ft, isn't your room height like 7 or 8 ft.? I'd also go with 3Lx3W, why restrict yourself ahead of time, + it will give you more room to play with additional light.

6. man i measured wrong last night haha, its 5 ft. height x 3ft. width x 2.5ft. depth.... my room is like 8 ft. tall but theres a shelf/clothes rod right at about 5.5'.... ordered some real mylar last night (dont want emergency blankets used in this lol, 25 ft of mylar was only $14), also ordered a 6in. inline fan, 160cfm i think... perfect for this space

i thought plywood would be a problem, i want hard walls, so i can mount my fan, and also because i feel like i might rip the mylar if theres nothing reinforcing it. If i didnt have hard walls how would i mount my exhaust fan?

7. I decided since I just ordered a new 400wHPS (will be here mon or tues), I'm gonna build a grow box. Approx 4or5ft high, 2.5ft deep & 4ft wide. 3x2.5x4or5 for flower, 1x2.5x3 for veg and 1x2.5x2 for utility storage for ballast, filer, etc..

It will be held together with all 1/4 or 1/2 square strips or mouldings so that it is strong when its together and firmly held in place but very easy to slide it all apart or together.

I decided since I just d/l autocad2007 (thank god I didnt pay $4000 for it LOL) I'm gonna whip a quick diagram and then use it to create a blueprint for the box...I can even turn it to 3d to see how it will look exactly lol, it'll be fun to design...

8. I cheated and bought cabinets at the hardware store. Spent $100 on a 30"x19"x72" one for veg/flower and just spent $50.00 on a 24"x15"x34" one for clone/veg.
    Cons: You're stuck with the dimensions you can find
    Pros: Hard to beat on material cost, everything is already cut.

9. this is obviously not done on autocad, but it was done in 30sec on mspaint...
    Just an example of what i was planning to build...prolly out of particle bord or mdf..or like 1/2 inch plywood...as long as the plywood is kept dry its fine.

Attached Files: