I need some advice from some seasoned vets....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrE, Jan 29, 2011.

1. First and foremost i would like to take the time to thank those of you who are reading my post and more so to those who will respond to it.

Okay so here is my current situation. I am going to articulate this the best i can so bear with me lol. about mid to late January i had a few seeds on hand, i was bored one day and in a pinch for some erb so decided to germinate them. These seeds are from various sources (2 of my friends happened to find a seed here and there in their "medicine" and they gave to me) and i did have a chance to enjoy the fruit from which they came, and was pretty good i must say, so i thought they couldnt be all that bad. well its nearing the end of january, the seedlings are about 2-3 inches high, they have the 2 initial leaves as well as the 2 leaves that develope oposite the other two and resemble one blade of a developed pot leaf. i take them outside every day to receive the much needed sunlight and bring them into my room after dark, cause it still gets a bit chilled here (about 20 min drive from Los Angeles.) So my questioned to the readers of my post is this:

1) Did i screw up starting them this early? and if so how bad?
    2) Outside of the whole sex thing what am i to expect from these mystery seeds?
    3) What is the very earliest i should start growing?

Now to further elaborate on my inquiries... my logic, as flawed as it may be was the earlier they start the bigger they will grow. i have a few more of each of the seeds just in case i did screw things up by startin them early, including one that came from a emaculate harvest of "Tangerine Kush" that came from the medi shop, but in some research i have done it says these plants are GOING to be herme. so please can some one tell me what i have to expect with this current "batch" of babies, and if it is even worth the time, effort and monetary expenses involved with in the production of marijuana?

Any and all responses are greatly welcome, and much needed. i will provide any pictures if requested or if i have a issue with them i cannot elate to words...

2. Put some light on them, grow indoors. It's January.

3. i agree

4. if you can just put them in your closet on the shelf above where your clothes hang put a couple cfl's up ther shining right on the girls.. my veg room is 24 hour light but some ppl just use 18 hrs light..keep them in ther til mid may or so bc if they are outside right now their not getting enough light..plants u put outside to early wil jus bud early..a t5 wil have your girls ready to go outside by may they will be huge cfl's are cheaper tho and will work..hope this helps bro

5. Yep, if you put them out at sunrise and bring them in at sunset you are getting less than 12 hours of sunlight right now.

You would need to suppliment your lighting. ;)

6. [quote name='FenceWalker']Yep, if you put them out at sunrise and bring them in at sunset you are getting less than 12 hours of sunlight right now.

i have looked at numerous sinrise calendars and one thing they all have in common is they project less than 12 hours daylight all the way through to November... weed grows here my uncle did it last year. additionally currently keeping them in my room for the upcoming months is not a feasible option.... what would happen if they were to remain outside? and what about the plants themselfs, givin all the info i provided about how i got em?

7. 20 minutes away from Los Angelos, right?

You hit more than 12/12 on the 20th of March. For veg, you want much more than 12/12.

Monthly Sunrise Sunset Times for Los Angeles, California

So to answer your questions:
    1.) Yes.
    2.) It's bag seed. Meaning it's a crap shoot. Nobody can tell you what you will get.
    3.) If growing with the sun only, the latter part of May, earliest.

8. also i dont have a hole lot of financial resources at the moment to buy the lighting... if i did i woulda set my closet similar to the way rumpleforskin has his, for which i am emensley envious....

9. and another thing i have seen my uncle consistantey start his plants in early to mid feb. and they alway do quite well with water and "fish emotions" not sayin yall are wrong just givin feedback

10. my boy tryed to get a 'head start' on his girls outside and they budded early so i start mine in my veg room thyve been goin since beginning of september..when u cant afford lighting do the closet things wit cfl's it grows jus fine an they wont get to big from now til its time

11. Fish emotions,,,,that's pretty funny. You can buy a 4 pack of CFL bulbs for about 16 bucks at Lowes and get fixtures for a few dollars each. You can believe what you want but the fact is if the plants don't get the proper schedule of light they may grow a little but they won't grow to flower because they need the proper schedule. You won't be able to control the flower process, they need 12/12 to flower and to be coming from at least 18 hrs of continuos light per day. You could get a few CFL's, grow to veg for the next month or so, then move them outside, bringing them in at sunset, and continuing to keep lights on them through the night in a closet until you get the right amount of outside light. Chances are your babies are going to be screwed. Either you will keep changing the light cycle until they herm or just end up male or they will simply not mature. I would save the other beans you have until the spring and start over with them or go spend a few bucks and get the right lighting together. If you can't get the right situation, I would scrap the grow. It's too much of a pain to keep up with for a low percentage result. Good luck. :wave: By the way, it's emulsion.:D

12. why isn't your uncle helpin' you out with his secret technique:confused_2:

13. #13 MrE, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
    lol theres nothing to help with. like i said he put the seedling in the soil, give it fish emulsion (thankyou) and vio la. okay i thought cfls where the long tubes, those ballasts can get preicey. what are the spects for the cfls that i need?

14. I've always used HID lights so i cant speak with confidence on cfl's but if you'll use the search function and type in cfl you should find all the info you want and then some. Good luck

15. lol theres nothing to help with. like i said he put the seedling in the soil, give it fish emulsion and vio la. okay i thought cfls where the long tubes, those ballasts can get preicey. what are the spects for the cfls that i need?

16. okay well thanks for everyones help, very informative. any other info you can provide would be much appreciated. this is actually my first solo grow, so sayin im wet behind the ears is a understatement

17. another thing. would scrapping the entire operation be the best route? couldnt i just grow it for the specific purpose of making hash?